Jump to content

Riding season coming to an end


Recommended Posts

Skywagon

Well unlike our colleagues in the North, riding season for me is coming to an end.  Many folks are just breaking out from winter, and some like me are about to go into summer hibernate.  We started hitting 106 degree heat indexes last week.  Ambient temperatures are mid 90's.  Next week ambient temperatures will be  low 100's, high humidity, and light winds.  That is our typical summer pattern.  I do almost all of my riding from September until May-June; after that it's time to mothball the bike and start fishing.

 

On my list of to-do's this weekend is flush the brake system, change all fluids, run the gas down to nearly empty, fill with non-ethanol, remove the battery, wash and wax, and wash all riding clothes for next season.  I know many ride in this heat but as you get up in age it's a lot harder and a lot less fun wearing full gear when the temps are North of 100 and humidity is not far behind.

 

Happy riding season for those of you who are coming out of hard winters.  Ride safe.

 

P.S.  Roug would be giving me hell if he were on board at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Scott9999

Ahhhh, that would be the natural, story of my life.

 

Get urge to ride again last summer.  Finally give in, and pick up a used by towards the end of fall, last year.   Two quick rides around my lake, and she's into storage for the Northern, Idaho winter.   After a longish winter (temps were 32F the other night!), finally, FINALLY, the sun is breaking out, and there's some riding weather in my future.

 

Oh, but wait a minute.  I'm just relocating to Skywagon country, so ....

... back into the barn, she goes, waiting for fall.😱😩🤣🤣😎

 

Just kidding, but we were peeking around Alabama for possible relo, and Alabama is nearly as bad humidity and heat wise, as Houston, depending on what month of the season you're in.

 

I don't like cold, but I like cold a whole lot better than hot and humid.  Around here, true Idahoans (which does not include me) have rather large pole barns filled with equipment for all seasons, i.e. motorcycles for those times, snowmobiles, boats, kayaks, you name it, their garages are filled.   And, they are outside, active, 12 months of the year.  I really respect the energy (and integrity) of Idahoans.  Maybe they've got it right.

 

Or, maybe it's time for our Houston friend to take a trip North, for one last ride before the Houston summer. 😏👍🍻

Link to comment
Dave_in_TX
7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well unlike our colleagues in the North, riding season for me is coming to an end.  Many folks are just breaking out from winter, and some like me are about to go into summer hibernate.  We started hitting 106 degree heat indexes last week.  Ambient temperatures are mid 90's.  Next week ambient temperatures will be  low 100's, high humidity, and light winds.  That is our typical summer pattern.  I do almost all of my riding from September until May-June; after that it's time to mothball the bike and start fishing.

 

On my list of to-do's this weekend is flush the brake system, change all fluids, run the gas down to nearly empty, fill with non-ethanol, remove the battery, wash and wax, and wash all riding clothes for next season.  I know many ride in this heat but as you get up in age it's a lot harder and a lot less fun wearing full gear when the temps are North of 100 and humidity is not far behind.

 

Happy riding season for those of you who are coming out of hard winters.  Ride safe.

 

P.S.  Roug would be giving me hell if he were on board at the moment.

I'll stick with riding. It's getting too hot to fish. Just about any other outdoor activity this time of year feels hotter than riding.

Link to comment
Lowndes

I found a somewhat-solution to hot weather riding.  It's an air scoop that blows oncoming air down the front of your jacket.  If i can keep my body temperature cool enough (or warm in the winter) the arms and legs will be ok.  Anyway, it works for me. Just stick it down your collar with the opening exposed.  It's best to keep the windshield as low as possible, too.  At 60 mph my T-shirt will be flapping in the freeze between the end of this "scoop" and my belt.  The result is a definite chill.  When I get up in the mountains with cooler temps I can remove the scoop or just push it down in my shirt a little, or zip up the jacket and collar.  Not uncomfortable  but you will need some lower back vents to let the breeze out.

 

A bug screen might be a handy addition.  I scooped up a yellowjacket one day that stung me like a sewing machine from my left nipple to my appendix while I was beating my chest trying to kill his ass.  No telling what people were thinking seeing a motorcyclist riding along frantically beating his chest.  He (technically a "she") fell out at the next gas stop still crawling and out of ammo.  But not for long.

 

 

Inlet (scoop):                                                                                                                                                  Outlet:

image.png.fcc4182ba944c0dbc59815170da27f1c.png  image.png.e5735eb7706813b55fee0b9abe59649e.png

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

A bug screen might be a handy addition. 

 

Ayup - six cents' worth of screen mesh could save you a lot of pain.

Link to comment
duckbubbles

I'm from Austin and unless you get up early enough to see the dawn and quit riding before something like 11am you will suffer.  Only problem with that is deer populate the good riding roads early in the morning.

I can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

 

Frank

  • Like 2
Link to comment
szurszewski
20 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I'll stick with riding. It's getting too hot to fish. Just about any other outdoor activity this time of year feels hotter than riding.

 

But at least when you’re fishing you can hang out in the shade of an umbrella or Bimini cover, a cool drink in hand, wearing not but a speedo… 

Link to comment
Skywagon
3 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

 

Totally agree. I don’t ride in Houston other than to leave. Most of my riding is coastal. Riding in Houston is like being on 35 in Austin during a horns game

Link to comment
Dave_in_TX
20 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

I'm from Austin and unless you get up early enough to see the dawn and quit riding before something like 11am you will suffer.  Only problem with that is deer populate the good riding roads early in the morning.

I can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

 

Frank

I live a little south of Austin. I don't feel the need to ride before dawn. I frequently leave around 8am, stop for a break along the way and get home about 1pm.

Link to comment

this is so true, none riding friends always say (mid June in Atlanta, 90+ with 90+ humidity)  "you must really be enjoying riding"  


I always smile and say yes it is great

but really I ride less June 15 - August 15 then almost any other time (except Dec 15- March 15)

Now I do still ride, but I live in the SE and can with little effort be in the mountains in less than 80 minutes.  So riding is not a killer.  But when I use to commute to work on the highway I pretty much put my bike up June 15 - August 15 and drove the Air Conditioned truck to work.  Now I work 11 miles all back roads, no highway from home, so I wake up early and go into work on my bike.  But the ride home is no fun.  

Link to comment
MikeRC
On 5/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, Skywagon said:

Well unlike our colleagues in the North, riding season for me is coming to an end.  Many folks are just breaking out from winter, and some like me are about to go into summer hibernate.  We started hitting 106 degree heat indexes last week.  Ambient temperatures are mid 90's.  Next week ambient temperatures will be  low 100's, high humidity, and light winds.  That is our typical summer pattern.  I do almost all of my riding from September until May-June; after that it's time to mothball the bike and start fishing.

 

On my list of to-do's this weekend is flush the brake system, change all fluids, run the gas down to nearly empty, fill with non-ethanol, remove the battery, wash and wax, and wash all riding clothes for next season.  I know many ride in this heat but as you get up in age it's a lot harder and a lot less fun wearing full gear when the temps are North of 100 and humidity is not far behind.

 

Happy riding season for those of you who are coming out of hard winters.  Ride safe.

 

P.S.  Roug would be giving me hell if he were on board at the moment.

 

We've had frost in the morning twice this week.  Four inches of snow on Sunday (twice that in the mountains) and another sprinkle 2 days ago.  All normal for May.  Finally took off my winter tires yesterday. 

 

More importantly (for me) I finally have my motorcycles back from quarantine storage in California. 

 

Let the riding season begin.

 

Mike C

Link to comment
MikeRC
21 hours ago, szurszewski said:

 

But at least when you’re fishing you can hang out in the shade of an umbrella or Bimini cover, a cool drink in hand, wearing not but a speedo… 

 

I know you are younger than most of the rest of us, Josh.  But that's a visual I just can't deal with.  :D  

 

Mike C

 

Link to comment
szurszewski
5 hours ago, MikeRC said:

 

I know you are younger than most of the rest of us, Josh.  But that's a visual I just can't deal with.  :D  

 

Mike C

 


Oh - no worries; I don’t fish. 

Link to comment
Hosstage
1 hour ago, szurszewski said:


Oh - no worries; I don’t fish. 

Just hang out in a speedo?

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
szurszewski
3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Just hang out in a speedo?

 

 

Only during drinking season. 

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Skywagon
44 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Only during drinking season. 

 

I said time to stop riding, not stop drinking.  There is no off season for adult beverages.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

 

 

Only during drinking season. 

So, pretty much daily attire?

Poor neighbors.

Unless you're a biscuit. If so, I'll be by to take a gander....

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Hosstage said:

So, pretty much daily attire?

Poor neighbors.

Unless you're a biscuit. If so, I'll be by to take a gander....


I don’t know what this means and feel like I probably shouldn’t google it at work; the neighbors have probably learned to not look in the windows by now ;)

  • Smile 1
Link to comment

Well, a biscuit is a hottie, and taking a gander is checking you out.

So if you're hot, I'll be by to take a look.

It really sounds a lot creepier that way.

Smart neighbors to keep to themselves!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...