IGNORED

Riding season coming to an end

Skywagon

Well unlike our colleagues in the North, riding season for me is coming to an end.  Many folks are just breaking out from winter, and some like me are about to go into summer hibernate.  We started hitting 106 degree heat indexes last week.  Ambient temperatures are mid 90's.  Next week ambient temperatures will be  low 100's, high humidity, and light winds.  That is our typical summer pattern.  I do almost all of my riding from September until May-June; after that it's time to mothball the bike and start fishing.

On my list of to-do's this weekend is flush the brake system, change all fluids, run the gas down to nearly empty, fill with non-ethanol, remove the battery, wash and wax, and wash all riding clothes for next season.  I know many ride in this heat but as you get up in age it's a lot harder and a lot less fun wearing full gear when the temps are North of 100 and humidity is not far behind.

Happy riding season for those of you who are coming out of hard winters.  Ride safe.

P.S.  Roug would be giving me hell if he were on board at the moment.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, that would be the natural, story of my life.

Get urge to ride again last summer.  Finally give in, and pick up a used by towards the end of fall, last year.   Two quick rides around my lake, and she's into storage for the Northern, Idaho winter.   After a longish winter (temps were 32F the other night!), finally, FINALLY, the sun is breaking out, and there's some riding weather in my future.

Oh, but wait a minute.  I'm just relocating to Skywagon country, so ....

... back into the barn, she goes, waiting for fall.😱😩🤣🤣😎

Just kidding, but we were peeking around Alabama for possible relo, and Alabama is nearly as bad humidity and heat wise, as Houston, depending on what month of the season you're in.

I don't like cold, but I like cold a whole lot better than hot and humid.  Around here, true Idahoans (which does not include me) have rather large pole barns filled with equipment for all seasons, i.e. motorcycles for those times, snowmobiles, boats, kayaks, you name it, their garages are filled.   And, they are outside, active, 12 months of the year.  I really respect the energy (and integrity) of Idahoans.  Maybe they've got it right.

Or, maybe it's time for our Houston friend to take a trip North, for one last ride before the Houston summer. 😏👍🍻

Dave_in_TX
7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well unlike our colleagues in the North, riding season for me is coming to an end.  Many folks are just breaking out from winter, and some like me are about to go into summer hibernate.  We started hitting 106 degree heat indexes last week.  Ambient temperatures are mid 90's.  Next week ambient temperatures will be  low 100's, high humidity, and light winds.  That is our typical summer pattern.  I do almost all of my riding from September until May-June; after that it's time to mothball the bike and start fishing.

On my list of to-do's this weekend is flush the brake system, change all fluids, run the gas down to nearly empty, fill with non-ethanol, remove the battery, wash and wax, and wash all riding clothes for next season.  I know many ride in this heat but as you get up in age it's a lot harder and a lot less fun wearing full gear when the temps are North of 100 and humidity is not far behind.

Happy riding season for those of you who are coming out of hard winters.  Ride safe.

I'll stick with riding. It's getting too hot to fish. Just about any other outdoor activity this time of year feels hotter than riding.

I found a somewhat-solution to hot weather riding.  It's an air scoop that blows oncoming air down the front of your jacket.  If i can keep my body temperature cool enough (or warm in the winter) the arms and legs will be ok.  Anyway, it works for me. Just stick it down your collar with the opening exposed.  It's best to keep the windshield as low as possible, too.  At 60 mph my T-shirt will be flapping in the freeze between the end of this "scoop" and my belt.  The result is a definite chill.  When I get up in the mountains with cooler temps I can remove the scoop or just push it down in my shirt a little, or zip up the jacket and collar.  Not uncomfortable  but you will need some lower back vents to let the breeze out.

A bug screen might be a handy addition.  I scooped up a yellowjacket one day that stung me like a sewing machine from my left nipple to my appendix while I was beating my chest trying to kill his ass.  No telling what people were thinking seeing a motorcyclist riding along frantically beating his chest.  He (technically a "she") fell out at the next gas stop still crawling and out of ammo.  But not for long.

Inlet (scoop):                                                                                                                                                  Outlet:

image.png.fcc4182ba944c0dbc59815170da27f1c.png  image.png.e5735eb7706813b55fee0b9abe59649e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

A bug screen might be a handy addition. 

Ayup - six cents' worth of screen mesh could save you a lot of pain.

duckbubbles

I'm from Austin and unless you get up early enough to see the dawn and quit riding before something like 11am you will suffer.  Only problem with that is deer populate the good riding roads early in the morning.

I can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

Frank

• Like 2
szurszewski
20 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I'll stick with riding. It's getting too hot to fish. Just about any other outdoor activity this time of year feels hotter than riding.

But at least when you’re fishing you can hang out in the shade of an umbrella or Bimini cover, a cool drink in hand, wearing not but a speedo… 

3 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

Totally agree. I don’t ride in Houston other than to leave. Most of my riding is coastal. Riding in Houston is like being on 35 in Austin during a horns game

Dave_in_TX
20 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

I'm from Austin and unless you get up early enough to see the dawn and quit riding before something like 11am you will suffer.  Only problem with that is deer populate the good riding roads early in the morning.

I can't see anything about riding in the Houston area appealing, sorry.

Frank

I live a little south of Austin. I don't feel the need to ride before dawn. I frequently leave around 8am, stop for a break along the way and get home about 1pm.

this is so true, none riding friends always say (mid June in Atlanta, 90+ with 90+ humidity)  "you must really be enjoying riding"  

I always smile and say yes it is great

but really I ride less June 15 - August 15 then almost any other time (except Dec 15- March 15)

Now I do still ride, but I live in the SE and can with little effort be in the mountains in less than 80 minutes.  So riding is not a killer.  But when I use to commute to work on the highway I pretty much put my bike up June 15 - August 15 and drove the Air Conditioned truck to work.  Now I work 11 miles all back roads, no highway from home, so I wake up early and go into work on my bike.  But the ride home is no fun.  

On 5/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, Skywagon said:

We've had frost in the morning twice this week.  Four inches of snow on Sunday (twice that in the mountains) and another sprinkle 2 days ago.  All normal for May.  Finally took off my winter tires yesterday. 

More importantly (for me) I finally have my motorcycles back from quarantine storage in California. 

Let the riding season begin.

Mike C

21 hours ago, szurszewski said:

But at least when you’re fishing you can hang out in the shade of an umbrella or Bimini cover, a cool drink in hand, wearing not but a speedo… 

I know you are younger than most of the rest of us, Josh.  But that's a visual I just can't deal with.  :D  

Mike C

• Haha 1
szurszewski
5 hours ago, MikeRC said:

I know you are younger than most of the rest of us, Josh.  But that's a visual I just can't deal with.  :D  

Mike C

Oh - no worries; I don’t fish. 

44 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Only during drinking season. 

I said time to stop riding, not stop drinking.  There is no off season for adult beverages.

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Only during drinking season. 

So, pretty much daily attire?

Poor neighbors.

Unless you're a biscuit. If so, I'll be by to take a gander....

szurszewski
13 hours ago, Hosstage said:

So, pretty much daily attire?

Poor neighbors.

Unless you're a biscuit. If so, I'll be by to take a gander....

I don’t know what this means and feel like I probably shouldn’t google it at work; the neighbors have probably learned to not look in the windows by now ;)

• Smile 1

Well, a biscuit is a hottie, and taking a gander is checking you out.

So if you're hot, I'll be by to take a look.

It really sounds a lot creepier that way.

Smart neighbors to keep to themselves!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, Skywagon said:

I'm baaaaaaak!!!,......and you need to suck it up buttercup, it's only heat, stay hydrated, acclimate, stay hydrated and acclimate and you can go anywhere in the heat. 

• Like 4

Now Roug....when you get to be 67 years old, retired, with virtually no schedule, you can do what you want when you want.  Right now....it's fishing season.  It's comfy on the water and when it's not I get in the water. Retirement gives great latitude to do what you want, when you want, including planting buttercups in the backyard.  Staying home this weekend because all the idiots will be out for the first time.  Next week will be at the coast and fish everyday for a couple of weeks...I got to fill the freezer to donate fish to the food shelters.  Trout, Redfish, Flounder, and Red Snapper will be the fare.  If all goes well I should be able to donate 250lbs of fish.  That will bring a much bigger smile that sweating my arse off.  My winter is my summer.  It's 99 here today and it's still May.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Now Roug....when you get to be 67 years old, retired, with virtually no schedule, you can do what you want when you want.  Right now....it's fishing season.  It's comfy on the water and when it's not I get in the water. Retirement gives great latitude to do what you want, when you want, including planting buttercups in the backyard.  Staying home this weekend because all the idiots will be out for the first time.  Next week will be at the coast and fish everyday for a couple of weeks...I got to fill the freezer to donate fish to the food shelters.  Trout, Redfish, Flounder, and Red Snapper will be the fare.  If all goes well I should be able to donate 250lbs of fish.  That will bring a much bigger smile that sweating my arse off.  My winter is my summer.  It's 99 here today and it's still May.

Well if'n you put it that way that you just want to fish, then,....well, fish, but you can do both ;)  And that's cool that you donate that amount!! 

I'ma have to invoke my father-in-law,....in his 80's,....When we was down for Hurricane Laura and the power came back on in his house, he ensured his thermostat was set at a frigid 80*, yes, that is eight zero degrees.......that old guy is always outside.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Is it wrong if I don't let go right away?

Hmmmm

However, If It's True . . . : The Other McCain

• Smile 1
realshelby

David, I am going to have to get you over here to look over my ice water cooling system. You would have one on the boat too I suspect!

Hi Richard!

I ride twelve months out of the year.

Mid July atop Monarch Pass (my former Duc 907 to the left):

May%201%202007%20download%20404-M.jpg

Early May, the Sangre De Christo mountain range in the background:

Westcliffe%20&%20Skyline%20ride%20009-X2

At the summit of Vail Pass, returning from Fall Torrey:

IMG_0656-X2.jpg

It does not suck to live and ride in Colorado. 

On the other hand, this is my front yard a week ago today:

May%2021st%202022%20storm%201-X2.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Starting to heat up. Low humidity day of 65%

5A105431-E8A7-4BBA-8F37-EE8B2B7F9F4B.jpeg

meh, ya just got to acclimate, we’ve become too soft with this air conditioning thinghy   Last week we had some low-mid 90’s

nothing like a three plus mile run in black flag weather. :4316:

nice and mild up here today.  Shorts and shoes is all Im attired in(generally all summa home wear) gotta get that summa darkness going on

"gotta get that summa darkness going on"

My legs are so white, even if I wear shorts all summer, God still has to shield his eyes from them.

• Haha 1

We complain about the heat and humidity up here in the great Midwest, but I often remind them that it will be below 0°F in just a few months, again, when they say they'll never complain about the heat again.

Memories are short.

Having said that, my wife struggles with the humidity and heat due to asthma, so AC is a lifesaver when needed. Problem is, she is also a cheapskate, so turning on the AC is always a last minute reluctant decision after she has suffered for some time.

There are only 4 perfect summer days and nights. The rest are tolerated.

• Like 1

Yeah and Roug is in the mountains. Much worse down here in the PEED - mont. Still, I'll ride if I have the chance. My limits are 97 and 35 f. The only reason I stop at 35 is the bike handles like CRAP when it get colder than that. Still, this is the time of year I will ride up to the mountains just because it is so much nicer weather.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, Rougarou said:

meh, ya just got to acclimate, we’ve become too soft with this air conditioning thinghy   Last week we had some low-mid 90’s

nothing like a three plus mile run in black flag weather. :4316:

nice and mild up here today.  Shorts and shoes is all Im attired in(generally all summa home wear) gotta get that summa darkness going on

Bloomsburg, PA MOA rally 2011.  Near 100 degrees and near 100% humidity.  Being from the intermountain west where it is hot and dry, thhis is the most miserable I have EVER been in my life.  And to top it all off, the AC quit in all the exhibit buildings.  Several EMS runs from the event.  I'm sure this was the straw that made them move the date into June.

6 hours ago, Red said:

Bloomsburg, PA MOA rally 2011.  Near 100 degrees and near 100% humidity.  Being from the intermountain west where it is hot and dry, thhis is the most miserable I have EVER been in my life.  And to top it all off, the AC quit in all the exhibit buildings.  Several EMS runs from the event.  I'm sure this was the straw that made them move the date into June.

Just a wandering thought,......what did the people do prior to A/C,.............when the majority of work and leisure was outdoors, when buildings (manufacturing and homes) did not have ventilation,.............

In 1994, I was on recruiting duty, central Louisiana.  A trick that recruiters use is to scotchguard the "inside" of the uniform shirt,......never let them see you sweat.  Anyway, me and this other recruiter go visit this kid, he lives in a mobile home,......not a modern mobile home, one of those old silver airstream looking mobile homes that's sitting in a nice sunny field.  We are in this thing talking to the kid for over two hours. It's August, in tropical Louisiana and there is no AC to be had.  So hot you could smell the heat in this living oven.  Kids not got a bead of sweat on him.  Me, oh, I'm sweating balls inside my shirt.  

Anyway, people still live without A/C, people acclimate to the weather/temps if they need to or choose to.  Spending time outside, in the environment keeps one acclimated to the environment.  My father in law is kinda my idol in this as he, in his 80's is always outside doing work in SW La (bout two hours east of David).  I don't much like that my job keeps me indoors ten hours a day as when I get home to do some real work, it takes that initial sweat flow to get adjusted.....the ride home helps, but the airflow isn't like working in a no-breeze environment.  In about three weeks, I think we are going to get back to finishing siding on our house.   Gonna be mid-July and prolly continue into mid-August.  

Yup, it's hot.

In the winter it's cold. Around here that means weeks below 0°F.

I'll take the heat. I admit it doesn't get as hot as southern states. It does get humid though.

I will break out the sheepskin seat cover when riding in the steam, helps keep the swampass away.

8 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I admit it doesn't get as hot as southern states. It does get humid though.

Huh??

image.png.8767661c76dc2786067927f623f4406c.png

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Huh??

image.png.8767661c76dc2786067927f623f4406c.png

Sure, a few days, but not starting in March and running through October!

My sister-in-law lived in Austin, TX,, she stepped off the plane here, hit the humidity, and said hell no!

Maybe it is miserable here after all, but the 4 perfect days we get every year make it worth it.