IGNORED

Tires for R1150RS

bwr

Hi,

My first post to this forum wave.gif. Do you guys allow RS owners to ask questions; or, or do you have to ride an RT?

I just purchased a used 2004 R1150RS a week ago. Been riding Harley FLH models (~85K miles in the past four years) but have been yearning to try an R bike for a looonnngg time. While I really like the RT models, the more naked RS just called to me. I love it!

This bike has Dunlop 205 tires on it now. I'm already planning on what to replace them with when I wear them out (which I'm trying very hard to do wink.gif). Many of you seem to like the Metz ME880 on the RT. Can I safely put these on an RS? It takes the sames sized tires. Most of the specifications are the same -- the notable exception is that the RS is about 80 pounds lighter than the RT.

I'm not really a super agressive sport rider and would gladly give up a little stickiness to get a few more miles out of a set of tires.

Cheers,

Brian.

russell_bynum

Welcome! We have an '01 R1100RS. Don't tell any of these RT guys I said this, but I think it's a much better bike than the RT (unless you regularly ride long distances while 2-up). cool.gif

Sure, the ME880 will work fine on the RS. The RS and the RT have the same wheels and take the same tires (actually...the two bikes are almost mechanically identical.) I haven't used the 880, but I've heard from many sources that they last much longer than the sportier tires like the Pilot Road, MEZ-6, etc. I've also heard from people who've ridden RT's with 880's at track days who claim that you can put a valve cover on the ground with those tires...so there's more than enough grip.

Hi and welcome to the board. You do not have to ride an RT to post here. You do not even have to ride a BMW, though most of us do.

Take a bit of time to look around - the search feature takes a bit of practice - there is a post describing its use in the DB support forum. In the realm of tyres, anything that fits/works with the RT will do so with the RS.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Welcome aboard.

I've had the 880's and they are an excellent high mileage tire.

They are a harder compound and as a result are not the best tires to go extremely fast on.

I just replace my OEM Michelins with Metzler Z rated rubber. They are soft and stick like glue, but wear very quickly. My last rear Z tire on my K75 lasted 3500 mi.

Enjoy your 1150RS...

ShovelStrokeEd

FWIW, Z rated tires are a bit of overkill on an RT. They can't go fast enough to exceed the speed rating of a V rated tire and barely make it past the limit of an H rated tire. The speed rating is more about tire construction than it is about tread compound anyway although, to use a very broad brush, the lower speed rated tires tend to have harder compounds. Given that very few of us have the opportunity to spend very much time at even 125 mph for very long, the entire thing becomes moot, at least here in North America. Europe is another story.

+1

Let me edit the +1 with this... When riding in 105 degree weather in the Sanoran desert at triple digit (indicated) speeds my rear 880 threw kleats of rubber off the treads. It was a new tire (800 mi).

I was told by a tire guy it was because it was "low hyseterisous (?) rubber. Racing tires (Z) have high hysterisous rubber.

What ever that means.

1fastjunebug

Have tried other tires on both my RS & the RT and have settled on the Metzler MEZ-6 for both. Without a doubt, the most confidence inspiring tire in both the wet and the dry that I've had on the bikes. Did I say that they work very well in the wet - very well? Also is a quiet tire, turns in well and gives a nice ride. Might not be the mileage champion as I seem to get only 6k-7k out of the rears. I ride a bit spirited and change tires out early though.

ShovelStrokeEd

H rated tires are supposed to be good for sustained speeds up to 130 mph. V rated to 140 and Z rated for above 150.

If your tire chunked at triple digit speeds it should have been replaced under warranty.

I would suggest that you use a V-rated tire, Metzler makes the 880 in both V and H ratings, if you make high speed desert runs a frequent habit. 105 degree air temperature could easily have translated into 140 degree or higher pavement temperature and that is a bit rough on the tread rubber.

H rated tires are supposed to be good for sustained speeds up to 130 mph. V rated to 140 and Z rated for above 150.

If your tire chunked at triple digit speeds it should have been replaced under warranty.

I would suggest that you use a V-rated tire, Metzler makes the 880 in both V and H ratings, if you make high speed desert runs a frequent habit. 105 degree air temperature could easily have translated into 140 degree or higher pavement temperature and that is a bit rough on the tread rubber.

I bought Z6s. But thanks for the info on H & V on the 880s. I don't run in that kind of heat anymore, It was like being in a convection oven.

You may find additional sister bike help at http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/

FWIW: I had an RS but just traded up to an RT. The RS is a great bike.... for short trips. The limitation is the windscreen, for which there is no good alternative. Buffeting and wind noise causes not only fatigue, but can cause loss of hearing over time. Also, the seat is not as comfortable.

I just returned from a 7-day, 1500 mile ride - my first long trip - on my RT and could never have suffered thru that on my old RS. It's more top-heavy and not as fun, nor handle as well as my RS, but it's great for travel. I don't know where the xtra 10 HP went, but it's also not as fast as my old bike.

ShovelStrokeEd

There are about 10 aftermarket windscreens available for the RS or you could have done what I did and cut about 2" off the stocker. 1500 miles is a long DAY, as a week goes it is not really that far. I did a 4 Corners tour on my RS back in '93 when it first came out. 7400 miles in 13 days and I was dogging it. They are no where near as hard to ride long distances as you make out.

SAAB93driver

I respectfully disagree with your assertaion the RS cannot be long distance toured on. I have done several 700+ mile days, 2 up and 1 up on both of mine. I just got back to Florida from Rocket City Rally in Huntsville 2-up with camping gear - odometer tells me it was 1620 mile round trip. The R11RS is a great interstate bike as well as a backroad bike. Same bags and trunk as an RT so you don't sacrafice much in the way of luggage space except the "glove box".

As far as the screens go, I concede there is no optimal solution for noise but ear plugs solve that problem in short order. Wind protection or lack of is not a problem and in the 95+ degree heat in GA, AL and FL this weekend I would not have wanted more wind protection anyway.

To the original question - tires - Metzler... always... and currently Roadtech Z6.

Hmmm... Took my RS 1500mi in 26 hrs thru 12hrs of rain, but you need waterproof gear, and a well fitting helmet. I crank my windscreen up a notch to bring wind over me (after market screens are avail for older mdls). but the bike lane splits well. You need to pay attention to the weight on your hands (shift around).

Hell, I'm goin' down to the Baja 500 Thursday nite from SF, so the model works for me.

russell_bynum

I'm gonna have to pile on with these guys...the RS is a fine distance bike. Lisa just did several 600ish mile days to/from Torrey on her '01 with no problems at all.

Well, I'm still new to this bike, BUT with the stock windshield raised just a notch I'm sitting in a very smooth pocket of air -- no buffeting at all. The fairing slices through the air like a knife. Right now I wouldn't even consider a different windshield.

The saddle? In my experience ALL stock saddles on all motorcyles suck. Some sort of afermarket saddle is required if one is going to put in long days (this bike happened to have a Sargent on it -- I'm getting used to it).

I've done one 400 mile day so far and I think it's going to be a sweet touring bike. I'm not dissing the RT at all, but I prefered to try something with less rather than more fairng. I knew I'd be giving up some protection.

Thanks for the comments on tires. I'll see how the D205's last and make a decision then.

Archived