IGNORED

K&N Air Filters

BRT Rider

Is there a down side to using K&N air filters?

The benefits are obvious because of the greater air flow due to smaller cotton pleats. However the oil in these filters is what concerns me. Does the oil cause any problems with sensors or overall engine performance?

I am satisfied with the stock perfomance of my RT, I just wanted to get a better filter, but not if it will cause problems.

Is it worth it or should I just replace with stock paper air filters? Has anyone had experience with these K&N filters?

Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

russell_bynum

Yes.

They cost more than stock filters.

They don't filter as well as stock filters.

They provide zero performance gain in this application.

Yes.

They cost more than stock filters.

They don't filter as well as stock filters.

They provide zero performance gain in this application.

This is absolutely correct. The original poster (Bruce) is wrong in stating that they result in greater air flow. They do not, in a real life situation. The real question is, is there an up-side?

Bob.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Bruce, you ought not have opened that can! "Quick, the worms! They're getting away!" crazy.gif

Your engine will not make perceptibly more power when using a K&N filter. In fact, you can remove the filter altogether and the engine will not make more power; someone later in this thread will likely link to a dyno test that confirmed this.

I just wanted to get a better filter...

"better..." meaning what? A filter that blocks more fine particulate matter? From what I've seen anecdotal accounts suggest that the K&N do not filter better than stock, and in fact may filter worse.

Suppose, though, that this was not the case, and a filter was available that provided better filtration than the stock paper filter. Would you pay a premium price for it? What would you gain? the stock paper filters provide filtration that is sufficient to maintain a healthy engine well past 100,000 miles, as a large number of riders (myself included) will attest. Paul Mihalka, in fact, sold an 1100RT not too long ago with somewhere around 170K on the clock. How long do you plan to keep your bike?

russell_bynum

This is absolutely correct. The real question is, is there an up-side?

Sure.

They provide you with an opportunity to muck around with cleaning/oiling the filter rather than just throwing it away.

That pesky empty spot on your chemicals shelf in the garage can finally be filled...by the filter cleaner and oil bottles.

You get a cool K&N sticker to put on your toolbox.

Due to not having the extra volume of a stock air filter taking up space in your trash can, you can fit an additional two empty beer cans in the trash that day.

You get to impress the guy at the oil analysis labs with your higher-than-normal levels of silica in your engine oil.

There are probably more benefits of using a K&N on an oilhead, but that's all I can think of for now.

I used a K&N on my ST1300 (now replaced by 06 RT)and quite frankly it was a waste of money. I will stick to the OEM filters from now on. Power was the same. Also read some info on ST1300 web site (calsci.com) that made me regret using a K&N. Main problem is allowing more dirt into the engine. BMW and Honda ought to know and care more about durability of their engines than K&N.

Again, stick to OEM and don't worry about excessive and premature cylinder wear.

I knew that I would get great advice when I posted the question. Thank you very much for the explaination... I'll stay with the stock filters. I have 48K on the bike and plan on keeping it for another few years til I hit 100K.

Russell convinced me with his benefits list!

Thanks again

since the air filter subject has been raised...any suggestions for non-oem filters and their part number. i'm due for a change. don't mind using stock, but would like to try another brand if substantially cheaper.. thanks.

since the air filter subject has been raised...any suggestions for non-oem filters and their part number. i'm due for a change. don't mind using stock, but would like to try another brand if substantially cheaper.. thanks.

Depends on your bike. The IBMWR site has a good list of filter substitutes, and comments on them.

Bob.

Archived