IGNORED

ABS Recall Finally hits the US

bmwmick

That is exactly what I want to know. On the other hand I'm glad it is absent from the list.

St0nkingByte
That is exactly what I want to know. On the other hand I'm glad it is absent from the list.
Obviously the 05 RT made it through before the bean counters cut things and went with the cheap parts. I mean look at the horn thumbsup.gif

Recall 1: Sensor Cable Routing

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...rintVersion=YES

Documents

RCAK-06V134-7995.pdf -- Recall Acknowledgement ( 1280.70 KB)

RCDNN-06V134-9784.PDF -- Defect and Noncompliance Notice(Part 573) ( 220.77 KB)

Recall 2: Banjo Bolt and Restrictor

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...rintVersion=YES

Documents

RCAK-06V164-2115.pdf -- Recall Acknowledgement ( 1234.07 KB)

RCDNN-06V164-4072.pdf -- Defect and Noncompliance Notice(Part 573) ( 227.36 KB)

The following lists the bikes effected by the ABS Banjo Bolt Recall (NHTSA Recall ID: 06V164000)

K1200S: ZM25000-ZM27931

K1200R (plus restrictor and brake discs): ZN55000-ZN56217

R1200GS: ZL75000-ZL79999 and ZR40000-ZR40195

R1200RT: ZM15000-ZM18267

R1200ST: ZM30000-ZM30582

The following lists the bikes effected by the ABS Sensor Wire Recall (NHTSA Recall ID: 06V134000)

R1200GS: ZL75000-ZL79999 and ZR40000-ZR40415

R1200RT: ZM15000-ZM18267

R1200ST: ZM30000-ZM30582

I'm concerned that for some reason a production run including my VIN was not included in the recall. My bike ( an 05 R12RT ) has VIN ZM10859, build date 06/05. It is not included in the noted VINS.

I have checked online parts fiches, and brake discs and brake hose / bolts / configurations are the same for R1200ST and R1200RT, and mostly the R1200GS. The R1200GS, K1200R have different discs. The K1200R also has a significantly different brake hose configuration.

Now, according to the recall the following production runs are affected:

R1200ST - 02/05-11/05

R1200RT - 09/05-12/05

R1200GS - 01/04-02/06

If they all use the same parts (according to the online fiches ), why are the pre-09/05 RTs not included in the recall?? The configurations are the same?? It's not programming..

I'm worried about BMWs or the NHTSAs record keeping frown.gif

well well mine is 8/05 build with 06 specs. ZM 17577 soit would fall in the VIN series so the build date you listed cannot be correct.

Have to go check with dealer. Last time I had them check they got annoyed and said they take care of these during normal service. Then I pay for the possible demontage of the tupperware and they get full pay from BMWOA. Maybe they do not need to remove anything in this case and it does not matter.

I am still driving and feeling safe as long as I do notgo on track etc...

safe driving.

I got my bikes build date and VIN from the sticker under the passenger seat.. am I reading the wrong sticker ?

Is there a public production registry anywhere in the continuum smile.gif

in order to determine if a specific motorcycle is affected by this Recall Campaign, it will be necessary to verify all motorcycle VINs through a DCS Vehicle History Check with the dealer. Based on the response of the system, the dealer will either proceed with the repair or take no further action. The VIN Ranges listed in my previous post are from the BMW Recall FAQ for 06V164000 and are only for informational purposes and are not to be considered a deciding factor. Always check with your dealer for more information. Notifications to affected owners should go out in June.

Yep, i'm waiting for the Canadian recall. I guess I'm still a little confused though that on the NHTSA dates, the RTs are post 09/05, when it seems that the R12STs and GSs are being recalled for dates INCLUDING prior 09/05 build dates. Seems to me, if they built an RT on say 05/05, during a parallel run of R12STs or GSs, they would be using the same configurations.. and therefore, those 05/05 RTs would be affected as well. That's all I'm sayin. But this is all speculation, so i guess I'll leave it in BMWs and Canadian MTOs hands (eek).

i was just at the edmonton dealer 3 weeks ago to have my 2003 ABS checked, ( notice issued last fall) and they informed me that there would be another canadian abs recall but had not details, they know it is coming but just not when...

I own ZM18267 (1200RT) MFG date of 11-05, the last bike affected. You mean the very next bike off the assy. line got a different banjo bolt than I dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The CDN dealers have the recall details now but no parts yet to complete the work. My own 2005 1200RT is on the list but I'm not too concerned......it has performed flawlessly for 18,000 KM and counting.

I called my dealer, South Sound BMW, to inquire about this and to make an appointment. The service manager claimed total ignorance -- nothing from NHTSA and nothing from BMW-NA. "Vee heff no praaaahhblems......"

Exploreinman

FWIW. I called BMW today and the first thing they said is that they're not calling it a "Recall." They're calling it a "Campaign." I'm about to head to New England from my home in Georgia and I asked if I needed to have it done before I leave. BMW said to call your local BMW service dealer. I did that and TouringSport BMW in Greenville, SC advised me that dealers have been instructed to re-route the ABS sensor cable and to replace the Banjo bolt with a new one. They said I could come in now or wait until my next scheduled service to have it done, but it was not an immediate safety issue. If it was BMW would be calling it a "Recall." The ABS sensor cable is moved about 1/4" from it's current location and the Banjo bolt is replaced. That's what I've been told.

Stephen

I called my dealer, South Sound BMW, to inquire about this and to make an appointment. The service manager claimed total ignorance -- nothing from NHTSA and nothing from BMW-NA. "Vee heff no praaaahhblems......"

And somehow that surprises you? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

It's a SAFETY recall per the NHTSA. Have them print

S I Bulletin 3400406(027)

Mick

I spoke with the service manager at my dealer this morning (Northwestern CT) and he does not yet have the parts for the work either. However, he stressed that there is no immediate safety issue. He also said that I should not remove the calipers in the interim - and if I do then I should bring it in.

I'll have them do it at the 6000 mile service.

bobiverson

For what it's worth:

Spoke to Chicago BMW yesterday about this. According to service manager, BMW is going back and forth on the VIN's that will be affected. He actually started doing some of the bikes they had in inventory, and then stopped after the VIN's changed once... then twice... etc.

Per Chicago BMW, we should all wait until we receive a letter from BMWNA informing us that our bike is eligible. He stated (as other dealers have) that there is no immediate safety issue, and the problem with the ABS would only be (maybe) encountered if you're taking an MSF class or pracicing doing repeated emergency braking, etc.

Bob

JohnBeaven

The ABS recall came through in Australia in early May. When I contacted my dealer he stated that the work was not urgent and could wait until the 10000km service.

It sounds to me that the recall/campaign is more precautionary than anything else.

I received my Safety Recall notification today; Motorcycle Recall Campaign No. 06V-164. BMW requests I contact my dealer "immediately to have the necessary repair performed as soon as possible". I'll be making the appointment tomorrow.

I received my Safety Recall notification today; Motorcycle Recall Campaign No. 06V-164. BMW requests I contact my dealer "immediately to have the necessary repair performed as soon as possible". I'll be making the appointment tomorrow.

Jim,

When you get to the dealer, have them show you the 'improved' banjo bolt they are going to install. I had one in my hands last Saturday and it appears to be a standard banjo bolt with a plastic insert that restricts the orifice by about 90%. I could barely suck any air through it at all. Just seems strange they are restricting it that much.

Mick

There appear to be at least two (2) recalls affecting Hexhead bikes, 06V-134 abd 06V-164. I just received the notice covering my bike which is a mid-2005 R1200RT. The number is 06V-134.

Just picked mine up after the ABS recall was completed. The front brake has a very different feel now. I htink better but clearly something was changed. I especially like the smoothness of brake activation at very low speeds. The front brake is much more useful now. Had been using primarily the rear brake until recal. thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm I just got my recall slip. Let's see how itis handled and obviously I have to try to get the horn to stay on for more than 1.5 sec as well through a firmware upgrade at the same time.

Anyone unhappy with ABS fix?

Just picked mine up after the ABS recall was completed. The front brake has a very different feel now. I htink better but clearly something was changed.

I thought the same thing as well. Before the recall, I felt that the brake engaged immediately. Afterwards, it felt as if there was some free play in the bar lever before the brakes kicked in.

I guess I've gotten used to it now.

Had my recall work (reroute cable and banjo bolt) done last Friday at FWBMW (excellent service).

300 miles later... still rides and brakes like a champ. No noticeable difference in braking.

I think the apparent urgency in the language on the recall slip is just BMW's effort to (cover its A$$) "just in case". Nonetheless, I am glad I was able to get the work done promptly... just in case!

I spoke with the service manager at my dealer this morning (Northwestern CT) . . . he stressed that there is no immediate safety issue. . . .

I'll have them do it at the 6000 mile service.

Exactly what the guy at Tag Sport BMW (Geneva, IL) told me. Not an urgent thing, but he did suggest that I check the routing of the ABS sensor cable, just to be sure. He said that they had seen one bike on which it was improperly routed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my ST from it's 6K mile service. The banjo bolt replacement was performed. The first time I applied the front brake I noticed it was less sensitive (required a tad more force). After about the fourth stop I had gotten used to it. Just saying there is some difference in feel. Not worse just different.

Hand - "Commencing brake application.....what the..??? Brain, we have a problem.

Brain - "Hmmmm... that is odd....oh wait. this must be that bajo thingy. Eyes, verify banjo is new"

Eyes - "New bajo verified commander."

Archived