IGNORED

DART 2022 - Two Months Away!

Mike

Actually, a bit less than that. For those wondering what this is all about, here’s the outline:

The idea is to get back to the informal get-togethers of the early days of BMWST, when folks just got together, rode and broke bread (and maybe a wee bit of bourbon as well). The gathering will be on June 23-26, 2022 at Borah Borah, our family (ahem) estate in rural southwest Wisconsin, an area known as the Driftless. There’s no charge, but if you join us an feel like throwing a couple bucks in the coffee can to help with costs we won’t turn it down.

The Driftless is an area of hills and valleys untouched by the ice ages, locate in SW Wisconsin, NW Illinois, NE Iowa and SE Minnesota. It’s a rather astounding landscape, much different than the plains that characterize most of the Midwest. Bisected by the Mississippi River, it’s a motorcycle haven, with thousands of miles of winding paved roads that are lightly trafficked. Small towns, generally with gas stations and decent options for dining are found every few miles. The nearest town is Prairie du Chien, the second oldest in Wisconsin, with a history of European exploration an settlement dating back to the 1673, when Marquette and Joliet first happened upon a Sauk settlement whose leader was “Dog.” Hence the name…Prairie du Chien or Dog’s Prairie.  Relics of ancient settlement, including cave drawings and elaborate mound formations, are scattered throughout the region, with Effigy Mounds National Monument just a few miles away, across the River.

Mitch (Joe Frickin’ Friday) has brought his considerable route planning talents to the event, and there are hundreds (thousands?) of miles of routes available for your use.

The gathering begins on Thursday, but if you’d like to show up a little early and pitch in, feel free to do so. We have quite a bit of space for free camping, along with a meager shower and restroom in The Barn, the shed that serves as HQ. A number of hotels are nearby. The closest is Captain’s Cove, just a mile down the Ridge; vintage, but clean and well maintained. There are a couple dozen hotels in town, with room rates from under $100/night to well beyond that.  Friday night will be our group dinner, catered by a local eatery. The idea behind doing it Friday is that some people may want to use us as a jumping off point to get to the Unrally; this will allow a Saturday or early Sunday departure without missing the Big Social Event.

It really is fun…great riding, great camaraderie, and about as inexpensive as can be. Those who come will receive a really cool DART 2022 sticker, and go home with lasting memories. Steve Knapp has posted the registration link, and it would be very helpful if you would indicate whether you  can join us there. 

F9BD9B0D-2D90-40E7-9EC2-D3D9D18F6105.jpeg

• Like 1

Seriously:  Are you printing shirts with that beautiful logo?  Whoever made that is to be commended!!!

I am really getting pumped for this trip!!!

Rob

Los Angeles County, CA

5 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Seriously:  Are you printing shirts with that beautiful logo?  Whoever made that is to be commended!!!

I am really getting pumped for this trip!!!

Rob

Los Angeles County, CA

Rob, I’ve started to investigate that possibility. The problem is that when this is one it typically gets rolled into a registration charge…and we’ve set this up as a freebie event. If I can find a vendor who would set this up as a store item that could be purchased by anyone who was interested that would work. Any ideas?

BTW, this was designed b y our very own Chris Parker, a super talented guy who is now also the editor of BMWRA’s On The Level magazine.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Rob, I’ve started to investigate that possibility. The problem is that when this is one it typically gets rolled into a registration charge…and we’ve set this up as a freebie event. If I can find a vendor who would set this up as a store item that could be purchased by anyone who was interested that would work. Any ideas?

BTW, this was designed b y our very own Chris Parker, a super talented guy who is now also the editor of BMWRA’s On The Level magazine.  

Yeah, that is a tough one.  A possibility would be counting the people planning to attend, and count of 3/4 of them as probably wanting a shirt?  As a school coach, I've found that vendors' fees for setup are the main expense.  I don't know, maybe see if we could scrap together enough for those fees, and even see if the vendor would give us a 25% discount on his setup?  I'll volunteer to send you more than my share as a "down payment," and perhaps a few others would follow my lead.  I'll send you $50 up front.  That's all I've got right now for ideas...

Edited by Rob Nowell
additional info
1 hour ago, Rob Nowell said:

Yeah, that is a tough one.  A possibility would be counting the people planning to attend, and count of 3/4 of them as probably wanting a shirt?  As a school coach, I've found that vendors' fees for setup are the main expense.  I don't know, maybe see if we could scrap together enough for those fees, and even see if the vendor would give us a 25% discount on his setup?  I'll volunteer to send you more than my share as a "down payment," and perhaps a few others would follow my lead.  I'll send you $50 up front.  That's all I've got right now for ideas...

Thanks, Rob. I’m looking into setting up a store on Etsy, where shirts could be essentially direct ordered from the maker. Will keep you posted!

Mike & Mitch, do you know if Praire du Chiene offers any Uber, Lyft, or the like?  I would like to tip a few Friday night, but plan to stay in a hotel.  Drinking and riding is not on my list.

Thanks,

Rob

On 4/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, Rob Nowell said:

Mike & Mitch, do you know if Praire du Chiene offers any Uber, Lyft, or the like?  I would like to tip a few Friday night, but plan to stay in a hotel.  Drinking and riding is not on my list.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, definitely no Uber or Lyft. There is a taxi service, but I think their service area stops short of our location. We can make sure you get back safely; either I or someone else will assume the role of DD, as long as you promise not to toss your cookies in the “taxi.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, Rob Nowell said:

Rob, online ordering is now available.