IGNORED

Ever hear of throttle body cable sprocket breaking?

Redman

09 RT in for 6k service, and they said the throttle body cable sprocket broke during the service work.

Said is not common but does happen.

siad good news is that they have a rebuild kit in stock, and have an opening later in day in schedule that can replace it. Bad news is that is $175 and 3 hours shop time. 
I have no familiarity with this, they quickly showed me the rebuild kit. I asked for parts.

part number  12557 r12rt throttle body kit

19D3180E-1A2A-4154-904B-38BF81D3B5CB.jpeg

FA0A8E87-48B7-4294-A6E0-A3D8C50EA303.jpeg

Edited by Redman
Part number

Ah, I see, 

looks like the black plastic part (sprocket?) is formed around that shaft flange.

anyway, wonder what anybody can say about this.

7CC4F6AC-F98E-4A0C-A77F-04AC0B19507D.jpeg

So 

6k service

+

replace final drive outer seal

+

replace throttle body cable kit

= $1300

58 minutes ago, LBump said:

For your reading pleasure

How to Install  though you don't need it now...

Ah….

Thanks.

Oh, maybe if I knew what to call it, I could have done a search and found that.

okay, my ignorance.

is something that maybe is common knowledge for others.

seems that part is a common problem…. For that plastic part to crack anyway. 

Wonder if can be cracked and still last quite a long time that way.

• Like 1

Every bike I own had broken cams, with parts and labor I'm out more than 2 (Yes TWO) grand. Every bike built with this plastic system will have this problem. Ticking time bomb that will strand you. Thanks BMW.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Redman said:

Ah….

Thanks.

Oh, maybe if I knew what to call it, I could have done a search and found that.

okay, my ignorance.

is something that maybe is common knowledge for others.

seems that part is a common problem…. For that plastic part to crack anyway. 

2 hours ago, KDeline said:

Every bike I own had broken cams, with parts and labor I'm out more than 2 (Yes TWO) grand. Every bike built with this plastic system will have this problem. Ticking time bomb that will strand you. Thanks BMW.

The BMW Moto way is... we are Beta Testers! 

11 hours ago, Redman said:

Morning Redman

Can it last a long time with a cam crack?-- Sure but they typically don't. Those darn things have a habit of breaking when you least expect it. Like in the L/H lane of a 4 lane highway at night with 90mph traffic coming up behind you. Or when you are 500 miles from the closest BMW dealer on a Sunday, or when you go to pull out into oncoming traffic & a cam breaks so the bike just quits pulling. 

Some will go for a while with cracks & others will completely crumble at the worst time. (are you feeling lucky?)

You do have other options as you can install them yourself) see my linked post above. Or remove the throttle bodies yourself then send them to BING USA for new plastic cams, or new cam/shaft, replacement (I'm not sure on the price but probably a LOT cheaper than your dealer will do it).  It will probably run OK when they come back but to do it totally correctly you probably should put a GS-911 on it to check, then do an above-idle TB balance adjustment using a manometer (not difficult). 

Call BING USA for labor costs, here is a link to the parts____   https://www.bingcarburetor.com/throttlebodies.html

Thanks.

Yep, $46 for both cams, instead of $175 for entire kit that includes shafts and seals and 3 hours shop time to replace all.

(Hopefully the kit is redesigned to not have this problem repeat.) (but then again, did last 12 years and 60+k miles.)

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Can it last a long time with a cam crack?-- 

.…..

Some will go for a while with cracks & others will completely crumble at the worst time. (are you feeling lucky?)

…..

Thanks. I was wondering if most are cracked yet are fairly functional, …… but dealer can fill opening in schedule.

am glad it was taken care of, and not fail later. But yet annoyed with the expense.

yah, it does seem like catastrophic failures occure in unfortunate situations, like, oh, just to imagine random situations (with 02 RT) :

- fourth of five lane I-5 in sandiego, 70mph, heavy traffic, with wife on back (2015)

- cross county trip, 500 miles from home, 40 miles outside of St. Louis (2019)

33 minutes ago, Redman said:

Thanks.

Yep, $46 for both cams, instead of $175 for entire kit that includes shafts and seals and 3 hours shop time to replace all.

(Hopefully the kit is redesigned to not have this problem repeat.) (but then again, did last 12 years and 60+k miles.)

Morning Redman

Actually, unless things have changed, the parts are the exact same as original (AFAICT),  at least as of last December, as that is the last set I have installed in a 1200 hexhead).

Make sure that you file a complaint with NHTSA, if all these failures finally take root with NHTSA  it might force a recall, if that happens then then you will probably get reimbursed for the money spent replacing them. 

• Like 1

You should definitely do both sides. 99% probability the other Cam is cracked. I choose to put Beemer Bit upgraded Aluminum ones on my bike. No way was I going to put on a part that I know will fail.

Good luck.

• Plus 1 1
On 4/27/2022 at 4:07 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Redman

Can it last a long time with a cam crack?-- Sure but they typically don't. Those darn things have a habit of breaking when you least expect it. Like in the L/H lane of a 4 lane highway at night with 90mph traffic coming up behind you. Or when you are 500 miles from the closest BMW dealer on a Sunday, or when you go to pull out into oncoming traffic & a cam breaks so the bike just quits pulling. 

You do have other options as you can install them yourself) see my linked post above. Or remove the throttle bodies yourself then send them to BING USA for new plastic cams, or new cam/shaft, replacement (I'm not sure on the price but probably a LOT cheaper than your dealer will do it).  It will probably run OK when they come back but to do it totally correctly you probably should put a GS-911 on it to check, then do an above-idle TB balance adjustment using a manometer (not difficult). 

Call BING USA for labor costs, here is a link to the parts____   https://www.bingcarburetor.com/throttlebodies.html

Just curious (and not wanting to look this up right now), and to add additional *** PANIC!!! *** to my day.  🙄😁

Do the RTW's have this same system?  If so, definitely going to stash away that bing link.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Just curious (and not wanting to look this up right now), and to add additional *** PANIC!!! *** to my day.  🙄😁

Do the RTW's have this same system?  If so, definitely going to stash away that bing link.  Thanks.

Evening Scott

When BMW went to the fly-by-wire (electronic throttle) the problem seems to be gone. But knowing BMW they probably just replaced that expensive problem with a new (yet to be determined) just as expensive & difficult to repair problem. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Scott

When BMW went to the fly-by-wire (electronic throttle) the problem seems to be gone. But knowing BMW they probably just replaced that expensive problem with a new (yet to be determined) just as expensive & difficult to repair problem. 

Lol, I knew that.  That's why I sold off my Twinmax.  I just forgot.  I'm old like that.   I just couldn't connect the obvious dots.

The Rocketman
On 4/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, Redman said:

Said is not common but does happen.

BULL SH*T.

They all know about it, and deny, deny, deny. Call the NHTSA like we all did and register a complaint.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:19 PM, Ponch said:

I was an early adopter in 2015. 

. . . . .  .  adopter .... ?

On 5/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, Redman said:

. . . . .  .  adopter .... ?

It happened to me before most other folks and there were no parts to be had from Bing or the guy in Tucson. BMW basically said, pay to have it fixed and send us the receipt and we'll review it if we'll help out or not. I bought a used set of throttle  bodies off Ebay from a salvage bike. It really pissed me off. Still does. 109667596_photo4.thumb.JPG.d7a08f07d90cf4b9760c4bf88b68a512.JPG

2 hours ago, Ponch said:

It happened to me before most other folks and there were no parts to be had from Bing or the guy in Tucson. BMW basically said, pay to have it fixed and send us the receipt and we'll review it if we'll help out or not. I bought a used set of throttle  bodies off Ebay from a salvage bike. It really pissed me off. Still does. 

Thanks. Seems to be a somewhat common problem.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:32 PM, Redman said:

Thanks. Seems to be a somewhat common problem.

I think the Arizona heat just accelerated it. For 8 months before they failed, I rode every workday to work on the bike and that's through the whole summer. It's funny, they'll put out a 12 year warranty extension on the fuel strip but they won't fix this. 

• 1 month later...

Just wondering. I had an experience after commenting about the problem on BMW Motorcycle's FB page and they contacted me. After telling of my situation and even links to posts here, the short of it is, we're sorry you had problems with you BMW in the past. I'll share your concerns with management. I guess that pretty much spells it out. 

• Like 1
On 4/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, KDeline said:

• Like 2
The Rocketman

Wow! Amazing video...thank you for saying what many of us feel.

Only recall you forgot was the cracked rear wheel flange. Another BMW work of engineering genius......

The only good things that came out of this throttle cable cam crap for me are:

Knowing I'm not alone (I guess misery loves company).

If not for this Forum I never would have even looked at mine and might have had a catastrophic failure.

If not for learning about this, I never would have hiked my ass to Rhode Island, met Boxflyer who replaced mine, and got me a great new friend.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, The Rocketman said:

Wow! Amazing video...thank you for saying what many of us feel.

Only recall you forgot was the cracked rear wheel flange. Another BMW work of engineering genius......

The only good things that came out of this throttle cable cam crap for me are:

Knowing I'm not alone (I guess misery loves company).

If not for this Forum I never would have even looked at mine and might have had a catastrophic failure.

If not for learning about this, I never would have hiked my ass to Rhode Island, met Boxflyer who replaced mine, and got me a great new friend.

Thank you and you're welcome. I forgot about the flange. They replaced mine, but it wasn't cracked. I am sure it could have been or was a disaster for some. 

2 hours ago, Ponch said:

Thank you and you're welcome. I forgot about the flange. They replaced mine, but it wasn't cracked. I am sure it could have been or was a disaster for some. 

Afternoon Ponch

There was also the late 2006 to 2009 brake line recall as well as the 2008 +/- (specific serial number ranges) EWS antenna ring recall.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

There was also the late 2006 to 2009 brake line recall as well as the 2008 +/- (specific serial number ranges) EWS antenna ring recall.  

Yeah, I’m the guy that actually had three failures, two of them caught me with my pants down, third one I carried a spare with me.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2022 at 1:35 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ponch

Yeah, the brake line recall was done on mine at the 600 mile service I think. I wasn't trying to be complete in my complaints, but to illustrate that problems do exist, at times in absurd ways. I think the cracked throttle body pulleys are more of a risk than the fuel strips, but BMW feels differently. Probably comes down to cost, time since they were produced and the perception of how many people have the problem. The fact that they would produce this problem and then let customers pay for it themselves says a lot. It's kind of Wiesel-ly. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
large-stache

I replaced mine on my used 2009 after reading about the failures.  I was getting ready for a 5 day trip, when I pulled of the throttle bodies, both sides had cracks, and it didn't take much force to break them all the way off.  I replaced with aluminum parts from beemerbits.  Yes they are pricey, but I was able to do the repair myself at home.

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2022 at 6:47 PM, large-stache said:

I replaced mine on my used 2009 after reading about the failures.  I was getting ready for a 5 day trip, when I pulled of the throttle bodies, both sides had cracks, and it didn't take much force to break them all the way off.  I replaced with aluminum parts from beemerbits.  Yes they are pricey, but I was able to do the repair myself at home.

Good.

Beemer Bits, you say.

A friend of mine is looking at a 09 RT, so I told him about this situation. I suppose all he can do is ask the seller...........