IGNORED

Very Small Paint Chips Repair

Charles Elms

Charles Elms

I usually spend more time riding than cleaning up my RT, but when I cleaned it up real good last time I noticed that I have accumulated lots (10-15) of very small chips in the paint. By small, I mean about the size of a period. You would not notice them except that they are white and my bike is dark blue. I have touch up paint, but don't want to make it worse by putting a very large (by comparison to the spot) spot of paint on the chip. Any suggestions on covering these very small chips in the paint?

John Diakonis

Well I would clean the area very well with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove grease and anything that might be in the chips. Dry well. Use your touch up stick with the correct color and dilute it slightly with lacquer thinnier, just a drop or two to thin it out. Apply it with a toothpick sparingly to all the areas and let dry.If you use the brush it will apply too much material. Apply a second coat to cover. Let it dry and do the same thing with the clear stick. Let dry overnight. Lightly sand with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. You are trying to sand off the excess on the surrounding areas. There is a dark color glaze you can use to help polish out the paint and if it gets stuck in the divits it won't show as bad. You may need an eletric polisher to work the glaze. You might do it by hand but it will be work.

This is a " get me by" solution till you repaint.

Urban Surfer

Use a paper punch to cut a small piece of that fine sand paper John mentioned and stick it to the end of a pencil (on the eraser end) Just spin it between your fingers to remove any bump in the paint.

Any BMW dealer!!!!

Just give them the paint code (or the "CODE")...BMW has a weird methodology for paint schemes.....!

Archived