IGNORED

Louisiana to California and back

lather

Total miles 4833 in 13 days. Several 400 plus days. Seat proved pretty comfortable. Only issue was hard starting at altitudes above about 6500. Great trip!

Just a couple of questions:

1. Is this your first long distance ride, or have you done this kind of thing before?
  2. Did you do any special kind of prep, i.e. day rides, two day rides, etc., to work up to it?  Or, did you just take off an go?
  3. Any special equipment, modifications, tips you can pass along?
  4. All hotels?  Any camping?
  5. Did you go alone, or with a friend or friends.
  6. Did you push start over 6500' to get 'er started, or just call AAA towing for help?   🙄
  7. I can understand the going from CA to LA, but going TO California?  Who the heck goes TO California anymore?🙃😁🤣🤣
  8. Did you pack extra fuel before you entered Kalifornia, or did you just pay $7 per gallon, like all the other serfs there?
  9. Did you stay a while in California.  Or, did you do the thing where you ride over the state line into CA territory, put your left foot down, and say "Made it there!", then did a u-turn and bugged the heck outta hell?!  🤔😁😁

Nice job.  All kidding aside, it looks like you had some fun.  For reading your post, it certainly looks like you avoided wasting time on incidentals, like ... ah... taking pictures. 😏

👍🍻

• 1 month later...
freetime2247

Looks like he must still be recovering from the trip since he hasn't yet answered any of your questions....LOL That was a very long ride in 13 days. 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, Scott9999 said:

Just a couple of questions:

Haha

On 4/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, Scott9999 said:

1. Is this your first long distance ride, or have you done this kind of thing before?
  2. Did you do any special kind of prep, i.e. day rides, two day rides, etc., to work up to it?  Or, did you just take off an go?
  3. Any special equipment, modifications, tips you can pass along?
  4. All hotels?  Any camping?
  5. Did you go alone, or with a friend or friends.
  6. Did you push start over 6500' to get 'er started, or just call AAA towing for help?   🙄
  7. I can understand the going from CA to LA, but going TO California?  Who the heck goes TO California anymore?🙃😁🤣🤣
  8. Did you pack extra fuel before you entered Kalifornia, or did you just pay $7 per gallon, like all the other serfs there?
  9. Did you stay a while in California.  Or, did you do the thing where you ride over the state line into CA territory, put your left foot down, and say "Made it there!", then did a u-turn and bugged the heck outta hell?!  🤔😁😁

Scott said “couple”,….. and then there were nine

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Haha

Scott said “couple”,….. and then there were nine

"Couple": depends on which version of the English dictionary you're using.

I use the version I wrote ...  😏

... oh, and it's the 100 volume edition, too, 'cause, y'all know, I'm slightly verbose at times 🤣😎

• 2 weeks later...

I have no clue as to why I missed these replies to my post but I apologize for this very late response. I have been doing long distance trips since 1981.  I am retired now and try to do at least a weekend trip every month. My first trip was to Rocky Mountain National Park on a 1979 Honda CX500C (That was their cruiser styled version of the horizontal v twin, hardly suitable for touring, but I was a total nube) Over the years I have ridden to Yosimite twice, Utah, Alberta, Maine and Colorado many times. The April trip to California was  with  4 good friends and long time riding buddies, one of whom was station for a few years in San Diego and he wanted to show us his favorite roads from those days. My only modification for comfort are lowered pegs. I have done most of my trips on a 900 Ninja, Concours 10 and 14 Kawasakis and Honda VFR. The R1200RT is pretty luxurious compared to those. On the California trip we did all motels. The R1200 never failed to start, just required several tries and some throttle before it would fire.

I think we stayed three nights in California and yes we paid a lot for gas and motel rooms. One of my friend's dad lives in California and we visited with him and he drove us to some nice restaurants.

I am just back from a 3200 mile 2 week trip to Wisconsin, including 5 days in Cape Girardeau for MSTA Sport Touring Association Rendezvous on the way. This was on my 08 Concours.. I find the RT a bit to warm for summer.

• Like 1