IGNORED

Portable XM for a Jacket Pocket?

sfarson

Is there a portable XM option that would work from a jacket pocket? Would like to just plug in the earphones, listen to a station, and not have to mount it on the dual sport, the sportbike, etc. Something simple to bring along regardless of the bike or road conditions (ie. off road).

You will need to change your service.

Sirius will have one very soon for livebroadcast.

They have one now that is portable called the s50 that stores programming

and is completely portable sort of like a Ipod.

Just saw a commercial for your service. They have the unit you want that has live broadcast. Contact your provider or dealer for details.

I have a Tao portable XM unit. It is a nice unit, but when I'm riding I will lose signal if I rely on the built-in antenna. I connected an external antenna that is mounted on the brake reservoir and this has been a great improvement. I seldom lose signal while riding.

Aluminum_Butt
You will need to change your service.

Sirius will have one very soon for livebroadcast.

They have one now that is portable called the s50 that stores programming

and is completely portable sort of like a Ipod.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't any of the "Portable Receivers" in their lineup do the trick? See them here: Portables At least a couple I looked at say they receive live broadcasts.

Is there a portable XM option that would work from a jacket pocket?

The Inno is the portable combination XM and mp3 player. It's fairly new. I talked to a guy who has one and he says it needs an external antenna for motorcycling. It works okay in his pocket while he's walking around, but for some reason if his body shields the reception from the south while he's riding, it doesn't work as well.

Noel

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't have a service currently and have never owned an XM device. Just want a portable XM receiver I can stuff in a pocket and use anywhere. About a year ago when I noted a thread about this, the gist was portable XM didn't work too well in a pocket and one did need to connect to an external antenna. This doesn't appeal to me much... having several bikes, renting bikes, simplicity, etc. Was hoping the landscape had changed the past year or so, with improved units capable of catching a signal while on the move, with the built-in antenna. Is this possible with today's products?

I have a portable XM unit called the Air Ware made by Pioneer. I am very pleased with it and I use it nearly every day at home, work, in the car, or on the bike. It comes with everything you need to play at home or on the go. To use it for live broadcasts you will need to mount the included antenna and have it hooked up to the base unit. I carry it in my tank bag, and velcro the antenna to the front brake reservoir. It works very well that way, but the nice thing about this unit is that you can record up to 5 hours off the air thus eliminating the need for the antenna and the base unit. That way you can carry it in your pocket. Battery life is excellent. The manufacturer claims 5 hours, but I have gotten 8-10 hrs regularly. I got mine for $150. I was also considering the ipod, but I am convinced I made the right decision. Pioneer is coming out with a new unit that will hold 25 hours of programming and also do mp3s. This retails for $400. Email me if you have any questions.

Lets_Play_Two
Is there a portable XM option that would work from a jacket pocket?

The Inno is the portable combination XM and mp3 player. It's fairly new. I talked to a guy who has one and he says it needs an external antenna for motorcycling. It works okay in his pocket while he's walking around, but for some reason if his body shields the reception from the south while he's riding, it doesn't work as well.

Noel

I have an Inno and it works fine on the motorcycle from inside the clear top of the tank bag. Problem is that charge is only good for 5 hours. I don't believe any of them will work from inside a pocket. You can get a headset for the Inno that has the antenna built into the head strap...works great for walking around as long and you keep your head pointed skyward.

Archived