IGNORED

Cruise control failed... '07 RT

Twisties

8 hours ago, Twisties said:

Guess I'll try the GS-911 tomorrow.  Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Morning Jan

Yes, either a GS-911 or just run a cruise control test__

I typically find the clutch switch as the issue if it was working correctly then suddenly quit. 

.....................Cruise Control Test......................

First)-  With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

Then)- Press and hold the SET button to the SET position, then turn on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT should come on) 

Next)- Release the SET button (LIGHT THEN GOES OFF), move to RESET position (Resume) position (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON) 

Next)- Release the button (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF) 

Next)- Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Switch the cruise control switch back to on (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF) 

Next)- Close throttle (all the way past normal). (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON), release throttle. (LIGHT GOES OFF)

Next)- Pull clutch lever (LIGHT ON), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

Next)- Pull front brake lever (LIGHT ON), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

Next)- Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON) 

Last)-  Switch off ignition. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Results:    

.....................Cruise Control Test......................

First)-  With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

Then)- Press and hold the SET button to the SET position, then turn on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT should come on)     Set Light On, pass

Next)- Release the SET button (LIGHT THEN GOES OFF), move to RESET position (Resume) position (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)   Set Light off, then on, pass

Next)- Release the button (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF)  Set light off, pass

Next)- Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)  Set light on, pass

Next)- Switch the cruise control switch back to on (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF) Set light off, pass

Next)- Close throttle (all the way past normal). (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON), release throttle. (LIGHT GOES OFF)  Set light off, then still off, FAIL  We proceeded through the rest of the tests, but there was no response.  Set light never came back on.

Next)- Pull clutch lever (LIGHT ON), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)  

Next)- Pull front brake lever (LIGHT ON), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

Next)- Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON) 

Last)-  Switch off ignition. 

GS-911 just had a code for the heated seats being an open circuit.  Presumably because they were disconnected at the time.  No other codes in any module.

13 minutes ago, Twisties said:

GS-911 just had a code for the heated seats being an open circuit.  Presumably because they were disconnected at the time.  No other codes in any module.

Afternoon Jan

That isn't unusual as the GS-911 can only find a current or stored fault. If your clutch switch is not working, that usually doesn't set a fault as it has no way of knowing if you have the clutch lever held in (normal) or if the switch is bad (abnormal). 

Same with the on/off switch or other normal operations.  

Try the cruise test that I posted above. 

18 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Thanks DR.  The results of the cruise test are posted above.  In the post before the GS-911 results.

Afternoon Jan

I'm on a small device so the threads are compacted therefore I missed your expanded posting above. 

Next)- Close throttle (all the way past normal). (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON), release throttle. (LIGHT GOES OFF)  Set light off, then still off, FAIL  We proceeded through the rest of the tests, but there was no response.  Set light never came back on.-- This will have to be looked into, the switch that controls the throttle roll-off is on the cable splitter box  (L/H side of motorcycle). Follow the L/H side short throttle cable back to the splitter box)

It might be a bad switch, or there is something wrong inside the cruise control module. 

Or it could (possibly)  be your clutch switch. You might try holding the clutch lever forward then try repeating the cruise test. 

I haven't used the GS-911 on an 07 hexhead in a while (as far as cruise control operation goes) so I don't know what special functions are available for the cruise control (you might poke around in the GS-911 special functions to see what is available)

Afternoon Jan

I called up a friend that has his 2008 1200RT out of winter storge & had him try the cruise control test, when he held the clutch lever in a little (simulating a faulty clutch switch) it failed at the same place yours did. 

Not conclusive but an easy starting place. 

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, mikeinla said:

my 2006 is having the same problem.

im in LA....whats my first thing to check?

ughhh

Morning  mikeinla

First place to start is to start  a new thread of your own on YOUR problem.   Adding your problem on to someone else's thread is hijacking that thread. 

If your problem turns out to not be related to the OP's thread starter then we end up with a confusing thread to future readers looking for help.

If your problem is exactly the same as the above then just follow the above info, if your problem is not the exact same, or you aren't sure, then please start your own new thread fully explaining your cruise control problem best that you can.  

Sure no prob. 

So funny....some places want you to use the search function and reply to that same topic. And others want you to start a new one. 

People always picky. Never a dull moment in the forums. 

Lock this one up. Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth - I was able to use the procedure that DR listed on my HEXHEAD back in the day. I don't recall where the process failed, but it did accurately diagnose the issue.

HOWEVER, on my Camhead, the procedure didn't work to completion, as I recall.

Here's a .pdf of the procedure. While it says it's for the K-bike, it's the same for the hexhead.

K1200RS_CruiseControl_troubleshooting(version 1-2).pdf

51 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

For what it's worth - I was able to use the procedure that DR listed on my HEXHEAD back in the day. I don't recall where the process failed, but it did accurately diagnose the issue.

HOWEVER, on my Camhead, the procedure didn't work to completion, as I recall.

Here's a .pdf of the procedure. While it says it's for the K-bike, it's the same for the hexhead.

K1200RS_CruiseControl_troubleshooting(version 1-2).pdf 315.4 kB · 1 download

Morning Indy Dave

Actually there are difference's, at least on the later hexhead motorcycles. 

That procedure refers to brake micro switches. The later 2007 up hexhead (I-ABS-gen2) does not have front or rear brake lever/pedal micro switches. The brake light function is controlled by internal pressure sensors.

There is a clutch lever micro switch for the cruise control on all of the hexheads though.