IGNORED

BMW R1200GS TE 2014

Alba

I have been interested in buying a 1200GS for a while and came across one that I'm interested in.  It's a really tidy bike used for weekend ride outs what my 'concerns' are:

- Initial precheck done my BMW

- No 600 mile check

- 1st service at 2500 by BMW

- next two services done by current owner which are mainly oil & filter changes

- rear brake foot angle to activate

I had a test ride and she rides as expected except for the rear brake which for me to apply the brake needs a significant ankle angle but rear brake is applied not as firmly as on a 750GS which I have ridden, is this standard for a 1200GS?

Mileage on the bike is 13,000 current owner says the initial owner done very few miles.

Good bike or a walk?

37 minutes ago, Alba said:

I have been interested in buying a 1200GS for a while and came across one that I'm interested in.  It's a really tidy bike used for weekend ride outs what my 'concerns' are:

- Initial precheck done my BMW

- No 600 mile check

- 1st service at 2500 by BMW

- next two services done by current owner which are mainly oil & filter changes

- rear brake foot angle to activate

I had a test ride and she rides as expected except for the rear brake which for me to apply the brake needs a significant ankle angle but rear brake is applied not as firmly as on a 750GS which I have ridden, is this standard for a 1200GS?

Mileage on the bike is 13,000 current owner says the initial owner done very few miles.

Good bike or a walk?

Afternoon Alba

Good bike or a walk?-- No way to know from the very little detail we have. It might be a very nice bike or it might have been abused. 

That service history doesn't say much one way or the other. 

That service history wouldn't scare me off IF I trusted the seller, his home & other vehicles look well taken care of.

If his other vehicles look trashed & abused then what's to say he didn't treat that motorcycle the same way?

WHY is he selling it?  This (if believable) can tell you a lot. 

You might have it looked over by a competent BMW mechanic, if he/she is any good they can usually  spot little things or signs of coverup that  most riders miss.

Cheers DR, really appreciate it ....

I believe he rides it with 'gusto' but not thrashed very tidy bike and his other vehicles are well looked after.  Genuine (In my opinion) wants to get a 1250 (bike are strong money in the UK currently)

"service history wouldn't scare me off" has reassured me

21 minutes ago, Alba said:

@dirtrider what's your thoughts on the rear break application angle?

Afternoon Alba

You probably need to ask the current owner, sounds like he either adjusted the brake pedal angle, or he HAD lowered foot pegs on that bike then removed them when putting motorcycle up for sale. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Toter said:

Did you end up buying the 2014 GS?

I did buy the bike, I have found it to be an excellent machine.  I still have a soft rear brake and need to resolve as it is the only negative of the bike.