IGNORED

The Two Day Ride to Torrey.

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress
6 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Well, shit!  Now, you guys have ME worried!  Dennis, will I be able to handle this???  Groanup?  Carl?  Brian?

There was once an MS Word doc hanging out on bmwst called Master Yoda Riding Position. Dick Frantz, the author, was briefly the god of this place. But that was before my time. His dissertation was about making a 650 pound K1200 RS handle; it was very timely and probably saved a few of us from harm. 
Dick never heard of Pascal, and never wrote anything short. The whole thing is pretty simple.. 

Press down into the pegs with your feet.
Lift up with your lower back
Do not put any weight on the bars

That's it. Go for a ride and try it. Maybe two or three rides...

From here we go to changing the bike's center of gravity (making it lean)  by moving our bodies to the inside. @David Baker (I think) coined the phrase "Bitting the mirror."  With practice the bike will turn easier and the front tire will be less likely to slip.

• Thanks 2
Dennis Andress
5 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

The buffet would eliminate my need for dinner, too!

Lunch.

51 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

There was once an MS Word doc hanging out on bmwst called Master Yoda Riding Position. Dick Frantz, the author, was briefly the god of this place. But that was before my time. His dissertation was about making a 650 pound K1200 RS handle; it was very timely and probably saved a few of us from harm. 
Dick never heard of Pascal, and never wrote anything short. The whole thing is pretty simple.. 

That's it. Go for a ride and try it. Maybe two or three rides...

From here we go to changing the bike's center of gravity (making it lean)  by moving our bodies to the inside. @David Baker (I think) coined the phrase "Bitting the mirror."  With practice the bike will turn easier and the front tire will be less likely to slip.

So true...  :thumbsup:

Dennis,

Another rider from Oakhurst, Bob, may join us.

Are the rooms in Marble Canyon block you reserved single or double? 

If the rooms are single, is there another one available in the block?

Dennis Andress

I released the rooms. Call and ask. 

Did you get a room in Torrey for Friday and Saturday?

3 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I released the rooms. Call and ask. 

Did you get a room in Torrey for Friday and Saturday?

Yes...The Days Inn in Torrey.

I'm still going to check back at Chuckwagon to see if something opens up.

Just want to confirm, you did hold one room for me at Marble Canyon?

Dennis Andress
36 minutes ago, Jim_B said:

Just want to confirm, you did hold one room for me at Marble Canyon?

Sorry, I forgot to post that there were rooms available, and that you needed to call for one of them. The lady on the phone said there were several rooms still available so you should be okay. 

Rob Nowell
On 5/14/2022 at 5:57 PM, Dennis Andress said:

but this isn't done while we're leaning, correct?

Dennis Andress
25 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

but this isn't done while we're leaning, correct?

If you are putting any pressure on the bars then the forks have to respond to every bump twice, once when the wheel hits the bump and immediately thereafter when you use the bars to brace your body.

To turn, lift the outside foot slightly off its peg, press down on the inside foot's peg, and press with the outside knee against the tank. Put a piece of (removable) tape down the middle of your screen. and make your head move to the inside of the tape when turning.

The bike will turn with almost no input at the bars. Practice on a familiar twisty road and go slow until you are confident and stop reacting when the bike leans by counter-steering.

15 hours ago, longjohn said:

Tonight in Hurricane. 

C8A207CC-7368-4373-9EE8-7F2626F186FB.thumb.jpeg.c1c56d384450edd138214779d3232c81.jpeg

Hmmm, just counting the bottles, nevermind me ....  🤣

Looks like ya had a great time. 👍🍻

On 5/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

If you are putting any pressure on the bars then the forks have to respond to every bump twice, once when the wheel hits the bump and immediately thereafter when you use the bars to brace your body.

To turn, lift the outside foot slightly off its peg, press down on the inside foot's peg, and press with the outside knee against the tank. Put a piece of (removable) tape down the middle of your screen. and make your head move to the inside of the tape when turning.

The bike will turn with almost no input at the bars. Practice on a familiar twisty road and go slow until you are confident and stop reacting when the bike leans by counter-steering.

I recall reading Dick's document, briefly skimming it.  At that time, I was still riding dirt as well as street.  Growing up riding, most of what he described was just natural riding practice for me.  That was my thought back then, but upon reflection, I realize that due to the extreme maneuvers we made on a dirt bike, relative to street twisties, I probably manhandled the handlebars frequently.  I still think I do much of this naturally, but I'll add your tips to my "riding refresher" notes, and practice a bit.  Thanks!  👍

• Like 1
Rob Nowell

so, I have been wondering if Dennis found a good sale to replace the stuff in his topcase, which was found roadside, a mile up the road...

seriously, I hope the rest of your trip was better!

Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

so, I have been wondering if Dennis found a good sale to replace the stuff in his topcase, which was found roadside, a mile up the road...

seriously, I hope the rest of your trip was better!

I just got back to Torrey and picked it up. It had a Nikon D850 wrapped in clothes. It looked fine but I haven’t tried it yet. 

Thanks for rescuing it!

EDIT The camera is fine. 👍

9DD0A8F4-16D5-439A-9E8E-ECA31305541B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Rob Nowell
17 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I just got back to Torrey and picked it up. It had a Nikon D850 wrapped in clothes. It looked fine but I haven’t tried it yet. 

Thanks for rescuing it!

9DD0A8F4-16D5-439A-9E8E-ECA31305541B.jpeg

holy crap!

when I pulled over, two locals in a puckup offered to ship it to you!  I thought that was really nice...