IGNORED

Cylinder Head Guards

Yankee_Dog

Yankee_Dog

The previous owner of my 02 RT threw in a set of unintalled cylinder head guards. Now I have done a search and read of the difficulties installing these things but this is ridiculous. After much sweating, bending, grinding, swearing and knashing of teeth I have come to the conclusion that there aint no way. These things are never going to fit.

Were the heads on the 1100 a little smaller? The guards were brand new in the box and the box says 1150Rt. But like I said, there aint no way. Is it possible I have the wrong part?

Yankee Dog

you may have the worng part, but on my 2004 rt installation was quite simple. did not remove any fairing. loosened the the bottom piece of plastic and moved it around a bit. do a parts search or call a dealer and read them the part number.

The previous owner of my 02 RT threw in a set of unintalled cylinder head guards. Now I have done a search and read of the difficulties installing these things but this is ridiculous. After much sweating, bending, grinding, swearing and knashing of teeth I have come to the conclusion that there aint no way. These things are never going to fit.

Were the heads on the 1100 a little smaller? The guards were brand new in the box and the box says 1150Rt. But like I said, there aint no way. Is it possible I have the wrong part?

Yankee Dog

You may have the wrong part, there is a difference between the guards for the single spark and twin spark engines. It the guards you have would look level across the top when fitted they are for the single spark engine, if sloped they are for the twin spark.

If the guards you have are for your single spark engine then they will go - but a darned tight. Soaking them in boiling water for a few minutes before installing helps. Once they have been heat-cycled on the bike a few times they take a set to the engine and will go on and off easily thereafter.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Check the 2002-3 and 2004 comparison pictures near the bottom of this page on Jeff Dean's "Above left: My 2004 “two-spark” R1150RT at the American Motorcyclist Association....".

The different shapes of the header guards are clear in the pix. I'm not sure about any differences between the R1100RT and 2002-2003 version R1150RT, but since the heads are substantially different, I'd expect that the R1100RT guards are a different part as well.

MachineJoe

John, I can see such a major difference. One set only installs when the bike is pointed north and the other set is for bikes pointing west grin.gif

John Dickens
John, I can see such a major difference. One set only installs when the bike is pointed north and the other set is for bikes pointing west grin.gif

You spotted that? I was in a hurry so I couldn't be bothered rotating them. All you have to do is turn the bike through 90 degrees and they'll fit a treat.

Yankee_Dog

without a doubt they are of the single spark variety. My question is are they of the 1100 or 1150 variety. I may try the boiling water routine before I sell them to the lowest bidder. But I am not getting my hopes up as they seem to be quite a bit off. I need to call the dealer with the PN as was suggested above.

Yankee Dog

Stan Walker

My question is are they of the 1100 or 1150 variety

To the best of my knowledge, they are the same.

They do go on hard the first time. Heating them helps.

Stan

Stan

without a doubt they are of the single spark variety. My question is are they of the 1100 or 1150 variety. I may try the boiling water routine before I sell them to the lowest bidder. But I am not getting my hopes up as they seem to be quite a bit off. I need to call the dealer with the PN as was suggested above.

Yankee Dog

There is no difference between the 1100 and single spark 1150 cylinder head guards. They are a swine to fit, but they will go on.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Archived