IGNORED

need LOW seat for my R1200RT

drjcl

Can anyone recommend a good LOW seat for my new R1200RT, I have tried the BMW version and it is uncomfortable. Looking for something that will allow me to use my seat heater wiring, and that gives me the lowest position possible. I am only 5'8" on a good day, and have trouble reaching the ground. I have heard good things about the Wunderlich ERGO heated low seat, but they have been on backorder for months from BMW of Santa Cruz. Can any of these custom companies make my standard heated seat, into a very low heated seat??

drjcl

I'm right with you, 5'8" and a 30-31 inch inseam, and yes, I'm on my toes. I can flat foot one or the other, but it's not very reassuring. Before I purchased this bike, I contacted all of the well known seat makers asking if they could lower the low seat even further. The only one that said they could was Bill Mayer, a very reputable seat maker. Every one of the others said they could not do it - that should have been a clue. Based on Mayer's response, I purchased the R1200RT. When it came right down to it, even Bill Mayer said he could not get the seat any lower either. Wish I had never purchased this bike. It's got 400 miles on it now and I'm already thinking about selling it. BTW, Sargent's has a new seat that is supposedly almost an inch lower than BMW's low seat, but everyone who has purchased it said that the front is actually wider than BMW's low seat, and as a result, their feet are actually further from the ground - ugh. One thing that did help a lot is that I had thicker soles sewed on my boots and it definitely helped. If you do this, make sure they add at least 1 inch to the thickness of your current boots. My shoe repairman only added 1/2 inch (despite him aggreeing to add 1 inch), but it did make a big difference. My last option is that I'm going to call Cee Bailey's (yeah - the windshield people). They do custom work on seats also, so I'm going to see if they can do anything. Some people have reduced ride height by replacing their shocks, but I'm not willing to go that route (fairly expensive and ESA would no longer work). Good luck. (Just writing this e-mail makes me realize even more that this bike is not working for me. There are a few other reasons, but I won't get into that here.)

sargent's seat is wider and a such does not lower anythign rather it spreads the legs and and even I tiptoe a little with my 5'11" and flat soles. Inseam is of course a real indicator and there I guess I am a good 30.

On the other nickel, you only need to touch ground when u stop and that is not too often I hope...... wink.gif

good luck anyway since the bike is great I just love it more and more with now 2,700 miles on it.

I started out with the BMW low seat and had Rick Mayer redo it. He said that it really was impossible to get it much lower (told me this before he did the redo). Took it back a few months later and he tightened the sides down a hair more, but that's about it. I've got the extra 1/2" on the boots (figured an inch would be just too much like walking on stilts). With a 27" inseam with the boots, I admit I'm not that comfortable at stops and paddling about. So I try to handle the former and not do too much of the latter. It's just too much fun once it gets going to get rid of it. thumbsup.gif

On the other nickel, you only need to touch ground when u stop and that is not too often I hope...... wink.gif

good luck anyway since the bike is great I just love it more and more with now 2,700 miles on it.

Yup except for when you're trying to hold the bike steady as your passenger gets on. Now doing that on tippy toes is dicy.

Yup except for when you're trying to hold the bike steady as your passenger gets on. Now doing that on tippy toes is dicy.

The technique I use is to slip off the seat enough to get my right foot flat on the floor, with the bike leaning slightly that way. As my dear wife mounts from the left the lean counters her wieght, as she sits the weight returns to my firmly planted right foot and I centre the bike before riding off.

Andy thumbsup.gif

RoadJunkie

I have been using the standard height seat, but always in the low position (5' 11" w/32" inseam). I felt very comfortable with the stock seat and put on about 8K miles with day trips maxing out at about 500 miles. I got tired (read, my butt was sore) by the end of the day, but my real problem was knee stiffness. So, I bought a Sargent seat to try. With all the information on this forum I decided to buy the low seat because I thought I would have more flexibility than the standard seat; I've never used the standard seat in the high position, for example. I found that when riding two up in town, with lots of stops, I was more comfortable with the Sargent in the low position, esentially more control. When riding on the road I felt more comfort in the high position and my knees didn't get stiff. By the way, and for me, the low Sargent seat when in the low position IS lower than the stock seat in the low postion. The whole thing gets more complicated by the ESA, one helmet, one helmet + luggage, etc. I typically ride two up at least 80% of the time, so again, I feel I have more flexibility with the low Sargent seat. My $.02... wave.gif

Has anyone tried the Wunderlich ERGO low heated seat??

Yes, me. Incidentally, I'm 5' 4" and always wonder what all the fuss is about when I read all these threads about flat-footing. If you think about it, the only time you have both feet on the ground is when you are completely stopped and in neutral. Even if you are paddling the bike along you are likely to be on the balls of your feet. I have always done as Andy said and concentrated on planting one foot firmly and relying on good balance for the rest.

I collected a Wunderlich low, heated seat from SPC in the UK on my way to the ferry last week. Destination was Croatia so I have done about 2800 miles on it and I was very pleased. It is firmer than the BMW, possibly a bit lower, but as explained by others, because it is not possible to reduce width, ground reach is no better because of the leg splaying effect. However, it is important to note that it is no worse than the BMW seat and I believe some replacement DO make reaching the ground more difficult.

Numb bum (butt) effects were reduced. There was a slight tendency for rain to pool in the sculpted part, but this is not a big issue for me. Wunderlich use the BMW base and internals so presumably the heater works as expected (I don't have the harness to wire it up).

The cover is embossed with a pattern and grips nicely and there is a more pronounced lip at the rear edge which adds some much need support in my opinion. Finish is two-tone black and silver and looks good.

Couple of pics attached which also show Hepco & Becker top box (also performed well) and accumulated grime from several European countries.

All in all I am very happy with the seat.

691979-Picture096.JPG.0cb8d9324104183c23d6c64026fd3b13.JPG

I collected a Wunderlich low, heated seat from SPC in the UK on my way to the ferry last week. Destination was Croatia so I have done about 2800 miles on it and I was very pleased. It is firmer than the BMW, possibly a bit lower, but as explained by others, because it is not possible to reduce width, ground reach is no better because of the leg splaying effect. However, it is important to note that it is no worse than the BMW seat and I believe some replacement DO make reaching the ground more difficult.

All in all I am very happy with the seat. From the pics, it actually looks like it is lower than the BMW low seat - there's more of the front of the passenger seat visible behind it. Doesn't really look any wider than the BMW seat. Mark are you saying it's the same width as the stock seat but shaped better and firmer?

We're talking millimeters here, but if the seat is slightly lower by virtue of being flatter, and still the same width it could have the effect of splaying your legs wider. This would explain why in terms of reaching the ground, it is the same as the BMW seat. I have neither gained nor lost anything in that department. Comfort, however, is improved. It looks lower at the back because they have removed the rear portion of the BMW seat which is very soft foam and provided little support, and replaced it with a smaller flipped-up section which is firmer and does it's job better. It actually leaves a bit of a gap between front and rear seats.

If I was to start messing with the Wunderlich to try for an improvement I would tilt the whole thing forward a bit. Slightly higher at the back and lower at the front would probably be even better for me.

Of course, since I took the exchange option, I no longer have the original seat for comparison.

I have been interested in the Wunderlich Ergo seat and have been interested in the comments about it in this thread. Unfortunately, the low version is not available in the States at present, and when it becomes available, it must be bought together with the passenger section. Here is the word from Santa Cruz BMW (NA supplier of Wunderlich accessories):

The seat that you are interested in is the low seat without heat. This

particular seat is not available at this time. There has recently been a

change to the Wunderlich seat program. The part number has been changed

to 8360016 and contrary to the information in the catalog download, the

seat will now be supplied as a set, both rider and passenger. The price

will be $579.00 for the set.

Unfortunately, I can not give you an exact date at this time but I will

get back to you soon with additional information.

I have been interested in the Wunderlich Ergo seat and have been interested in the comments about it in this thread. Unfortunately, the low version is not available in the States at present, and when it becomes available, it must be bought together with the passenger section. Here is the word from Santa Cruz BMW (NA supplier of Wunderlich accessories):

The seat that you are interested in is the low seat without heat. This

particular seat is not available at this time. There has recently been a

change to the Wunderlich seat program. The part number has been changed

to 8360016 and contrary to the information in the catalog download, the

seat will now be supplied as a set, both rider and passenger. The price

will be $579.00 for the set.

Unfortunately, I can not give you an exact date at this time but I will

get back to you soon with additional information.

Well ain't that a bite. Please let us know when you hear from Santa Cruz about availability.

The technique I use is to slip off the seat enough to get my right foot flat on the floor, with the bike leaning slightly that way. As my dear wife mounts from the left the lean counters her wieght, as she sits the weight returns to my firmly planted right foot and I centre the bike before riding off.

Andy thumbsup.gif

I agree with Andy. I'm short (64") with what I guess is a 27" inseam; plus, I weigh only about 125 lb, so I don't have much mass to muscle the bike. (In fact, I won't put it up on or roll it off the center stand without a spotter. And I have to be very careful where I park, or I may not even be able to lift it off the side stand.) Leaning a bit to the right (sometimes with my left foot in the air) while my wife mounts from the left side has worked for us. Plus, even after cranking up the preload 17 clicks, I find that I can reach the ground a bit better with my wife on the back ... but I've never told her that! :-) I would say not to sell your bike after only 400 miles if your reach to the ground is the only present difficulty. It definitely gets better as your personal comfort level (confidence) increases. Now, if I could only perform full-lock u-turns.

Archived