IGNORED

High Strength Loctite on Brake Rotors

BMW_Ken

I am in the process of installing new brake rotors on my R1150RT. The BMW manual calls for High Strength Red Loctite on the screws and 21 NM of torque.

Does everyone use Red Loctite when it is specified for various assemblies, or do you use medium strength Blue Loctite instead?

I just want to verify this before I use the red loctite.

Thanks.

Does everyone use Red Loctite when it is specified for various assemblies
I think you will find that there are two camps, the 'BMW says to use red, end of discussion' and those who use their own judgment based on experience.

In this particular application (a fairly low torque spec and something that is rarely disassembled) you might want to go ahead and use red although there are other circumstances where red is specified where I believe blue to be more appropriate.

FlyingFinn

And really, why not use the red stuff if that's what's recommended.

At time of disassembly all it takes is some heat and everything comes apart with no problems.

On the other hand, if you plan to brute-force the fasteners open WITHOUT heat, then it's better to stick with blue Locktite.

--

Mikko

I am in the process of installing new brake rotors on my R1150RT. The BMW manual calls for High Strength Red Loctite on the screws and 21 NM of torque.

Does everyone use Red Loctite when it is specified for various assemblies, or do you use medium strength Blue Loctite instead?

I just want to verify this before I use the red loctite.

Thanks.

Do you want to take a risk with the brakes? How important are they to you?

Andy

Archived