IGNORED

Who's going and the lastest UnRally Details

Indy Dave

12 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

We are honored to have a European Rider joining us this year!

From BereIsland maybe? Steve soon disappeared after his visit to the States, :dontknow: hope he just found other interests.

TracerBullet
2 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Lots of names I don't recognize.  Good to see new folks coming to this one!

First time for me. I don’t know anyone.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, TracerBullet said:

Not to worry - that will pass quite quickly. I had been on this board for 7 years before I went to my first event. Someone on the board had invited me (whom I'd never met) to go to FART. We met up in Tellico Plains, and he took me on some great roads - I wasn't in Indiana any more! When we arrived at the hotel, he knew pretty much everyone there, and it was as if they were long lost friends. There was a large gathering of people in the parking lot, who were catching up with each other and welcoming riders who were still arriving. I had a great time, and got to know a few riders. At the next event, I brought a buddy and we arrived about 6pm. As we were unloading our bikes, some guys - who were going to dinner  - stopped and said hello, and realizing we were pretty new,  invited us to join them for dinner.  Long story short, I've not missed a Appalachian Riding Tour Event since I attended my first - and I kicked myself for not going to one sooner! I've made life long friends with many on this board and found many a partner in crime who share the same enthusiasm for riding and the sport that I have. And I've learned so much and had my horizons expanded exponentially.

And so it will be for you and other first timers. Like anything, you'll get out of it what you put in, but I think you'll find it very easy to meet and make new friends!

Welcome!

• Like 6
Yeeha Stephen
16 hours ago, TracerBullet said:

Been a loooong time for me, so I might as well be new!

I'll have to learn ALL the names all over again.

Stephen

• Like 6
On 3/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, TracerBullet said:

You will have new friends before you leave.

• Like 1

Is anyone up for a Pied Piper?

My first UN was WV way back in the day but we haven't been to one in years.  Maybe this year?  I'll see if Joyce has the time.

11132676224_dfde5f03f3_c.jpg

11132612865_122bf02a70_b.jpg

• Like 4

Tom (3Putt), Richard and I were wondering about you and Joyce, just last night.  The pictures you posted from 2007 in WV, brought back memories (my first UN also. I was still still making my way back home from Alaska.) and some tears as I see some VERY special people (Paul, Nancy, Ken, Ron) who sadly are no longer here.  

We were talking about you guys too.  How funny.  Probably a sign we should all meet in WV for coffee :)

I looked through the picture before posting it and the same 4 folks seemed to jump out at me.

• Like 2
On 3/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, ltljohn said:

Lots of names I don't recognize.  Good to see new folks coming to this one!

Been to almost all of the "West" Un's but never an East Un so its technically a first for me.  Looking forward to meeting new folks as well, placing some faces I haven't met with familiar board names and seeing some Eastcoast folks again who've made prior trips west but don't get to see often.

• Like 4
John Ranalletta
On 3/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, Jacqueline said:

Tom (3Putt), Richard and I were wondering about you and Joyce, just last night.  The pictures you posted from 2007 in WV, brought back memories (my first UN also. I was still still making my way back home from Alaska.) and some tears as I see some VERY special people (Paul, Nancy, Ken, Ron) who sadly are no longer here.  

That UN was special for us as well.  While chatting with Todd Gills along side his campsite, my son called to tell us we were expecting our first grandchild.

Leslie and Jamie overnighted at our place in Indy on their way to the UN.

Kris Kenney and ?

DSCF0006.JPG

Leslie, Jamie & moi

1.JPG

2.JPG

Jamie

3.JPG

Leslie and Jamie leaving our place for last leg of journey east.

4.JPG

Russell Bynum, David C. Baker, Larry Rudolph, moi, Mrs. moi, Tasker Day.  I want
to remember Mrs. Rowe's had great cherry pie.

7.JPG

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

well I had my shake down run/ride at the Blairsvile, GA START on April 27-May 1
I can say the bike performed very well.

I noted a few things (nothing critical) I would like to upgrade/change, but I am too worried that if I take the bike apart I will be hard pressed to get it back together for the UnRally :-)

so for now I am riding as is.

WV is a favorite of mine, been there twice riding street bikes, and three times riding my dual sport.  Really looking forward to this years event

• Like 2
On 5/17/2022 at 6:19 AM, Indy Dave said:

What a great area to continue to shake down your Tracer, Randy!

the bike is at the dealer today, 
Valves
spark plugs
radiator flush
throttle body sync
full diagnostic hook up
and one recall item
bike has 16K and this is the big service until 32K then 48K etc
rear tire is in the basement ready to be mounted the week before UnRally

I am all set to go.  Never been this well prepared for an UnRally in 20 years  :-)

• Like 1
On 5/18/2022 at 12:23 PM, randy said:

the bike is at the dealer today, 
Valves
spark plugs
radiator flush
throttle body sync
full diagnostic hook up
and one recall item
bike has 16K and this is the big service until 32K then 48K etc
rear tire is in the basement ready to be mounted the week before UnRally

I am all set to go.  Never been this well prepared for an UnRally in 20 years  :-)

well got the bike back today.  Have to say one of my biggest worries, I have had BMW bikes since 1999.  Been using Wooley's in Marietta, GA for 23 years.  I know everyone at the shop.  Now I will be using a Yamaha dealer I have never used.  Took the bike in Tuesday.  In theory it should have been ready Tuesday (had appt. for 3 full months) but was informed on Thursday morning that it would be Friday maybe Saturday before the bike would be ready.
Not the best start
Bike was ready Friday, but I did not want to fight rush hour traffic so picked it up Saturday at 9am
All looked good and the service person went over everything and took my cash :-)
I get on the bike and start it up and it sounds different.  Now remember I bought the bike used, and had not idea if the new sound was the "norm"  Anyway I drive off and before I get on the highway I decide, no this is not normal.  I go back to the shop and talk to service person, and the mechanic comes over and we all listen to the bike.  Mechanic says he knows the issue, give him 30 minutes.
seems the air intake tube had detached from the air box and was not sealed.  the Mechanic apologized for the delay, and was great.  Even let me come back and watch as he fixed the issue.  was able to talk to the mechanic and found out he was an ex BMW shop mechanic and I really liked him.
Buying the Yamaha Tracer vs the BMW XR was a huge decision for me.  So far it has worked out to be a great decision.  And finding a dealer/service department that seems trustworthy has really been a load off my mind
In addition while I was waiting on the mechanic to put the plastic back on, I talked to the helmet/clothing person.  He was very knowledgeable, and showed me a number of Arai helmets and explained the differences.  To be honest it was about as good a dealer experience as I have experienced.
The bike is all set, next big service is at 26K (10k from now) and the mechanic said, ride it, change the oil and see you next year :-)
Like I said I have never been this ready/prepared for an Unrally.  I am so pumped.  Plus while I loved riding with my Uncle and Son at START, I am looking forward to catching on with some other riders at the Un to test the capabilities of the this bike.  

• Like 5
  • Indy Dave locked and pinned this topic
  • Indy Dave featured this topic

Breaking News! 

I received a last minute cancellation for the Tuesday June 28 class. 

I'll be using the time stamp on this registration form if multiple people jump on it.

Please contact me asap if interested.

Jon

• Indy Dave unlocked this topic
Motorhead1977

One quick question - how far from the class site from the lodge?  Walking distance or a vehicle is needed?  I looked at Google Earth views and the ski area doesn't even show up.  My wife may want to come observe for a bit so I'll need to know whether to unhook my trailer from the truck or not.  TIA.

From the lodge, It's walking distance if you're a hiker - a mile or more. There are trails that get you to the camping area that are shorter than following the road.  From the campground, it less of a hike. See this video for an idea:

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

One quick question - how far from the class site from the lodge?  Walking distance or a vehicle is needed?  I looked at Google Earth views and the ski area doesn't even show up.  My wife may want to come observe for a bit so I'll need to know whether to unhook my trailer from the truck or not.  TIA.

The video should give you an idea. Here's the scene from above:

trail braking school.jpg

• Like 1
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic

Bo has made it to the UnRally and is cooling off in the room. He is also very happy to finally be off the bike for a few days, recalculating. :3:C716903C-236E-48C0-8CFE-1ED0E4BD63FC.thumb.jpeg.4fd0f060d034890dc3d323ff66467d72.jpeg

• Like 5