IGNORED

Squeaky Clutch 2002 R1150RT

AllDunn

Hi, my bike has 18K, just had an oil change (20W50) and it appears that the clutch is squeaking at idle and the squeak is getting worse. The sound disappears when I pull the clutch in. It seems to disappear at running speeds but comes back when I stop - also stopping when the clutch is pulled in. Any help or suggestions? I'm wondering if the bike is safe to ride?

okay, so it got worse today. After some trial and error I found the squeak (which almost sounds like a bird chirping) occurs when the clutch lever is let out and stops when I pull it in. The engine temp. does not make a difference, although it seems to be less when it is cold. When I lean down and listen carefully it sounds almost like squeaky rubber. I guess I should take it in but would love to have some help isolating possible solutions...any quesses?????

blush.gif thanks for the help, I'll get it in ASAP. Do you think it will it require that the clutch be replaced?

usually not, especially with only 18k miles on it, you should be good. They will definitely be able to tell you if you need to replace it when they get down to it.

blush.gif thanks for the help, I'll get it in ASAP. Do you think it will it require that the clutch be replaced?

The clutch trowout bearing is built into the slave cylinder on the rear of the tranny. The assembly is only sold as a unit, on the plus side though it is just possible to remove it without stripping the bike.

Andy

thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get it in today but I'm sure - ahead of the holiday weekend that nothing will get done....what a bummer, considering I was planning a nice long trip through Vermont this weekend.....

what you have there is a clutch bearing going out. Id recommend getting that in for service pretty soon.
Well maybe, maybe not. As mentioned, the throw out bearing is in the slave cylinder at the rear of the transmission. The only thing is with the clutch engaged (lever not pulled), the condition the OP says he has the squeak, in theory the throw out bearing is not spinning at that time. It only spins when the lever is pulled. Which is when the OP's bike doesn't squeak.

Suppose it is still possible there is some parasitic drag going on on the clutch push rod that is causing the bearing to spin slightly though.

Another possibility is the push rod to diaphragm spring contact point is causing a squeak.

Pulling the slave cyl. will tell you something about the bearing there. Unfortunately though the push rod won't come out with the rear swing arm in the way, so one could examine the clutch end tip of it.

Well, this is one of those, I feel bad so I go to the doctor and while I'm sitting there suddenly I feel much better deals.

The squeak stopped. Of course I did everything possible to make it come back because damn, I deserve the thing now that I've gone through all this angst! I idled it, I ran it, I flexed the clutch half a dozen times and NOTHING. Maybe its gremlins, maybe my wife stuck pins in the RT scale model on my desk...who knows.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll let you know after the weekend what happens...DVD dopeslap.gif

Archived