IGNORED

Catless OEM muffler?

JamesW

As many of you know my '93 BMW R1100RSL is, as D.R. is fond of saying, an outlier which is no doubt in my mind very true.  So, it seems that in '93 my bike was built for sale in countries that in '93 did not require a catalytic converter.  My question is did BMW also build OEM mufflers for these bikes without catalytic converters?  If they did I wouldn't mind finding one if possible.  Cosmetically I've never liked the looks of that huge converter chamber that hangs under the bike and on my bike the cat most likely doesn't do much anyway after I cut the jumper located on the wire side of the ECU connector which causes the ECU to not look for an O2 sensor signal.  I might waste my time and contact BMW and ask but no doubt I'll hear something like my bike doesn't exist in their records.  That's what I was told when I e-mailed them with a question about the ECU.  They said my ECU was simply not in their records and therefore they couldn't test it or repair it.  Don't remember why I even asked since I have no reason to believe my ECU has malfunctioned in any way.  I know a new ECU for my bike retails for over $2K which is ridiculous but not surprising.

37 minutes ago, JamesW said:

As many of you know my '93 BMW R1100RSL is, as D.R. is fond of saying, an outlier which is no doubt in my mind very true.  So, it seems that in '93 my bike was built for sale in countries that in '93 did not require a catalytic converter.  My question is did BMW also build OEM mufflers for these bikes without catalytic converters?  If they did I wouldn't mind finding one if possible.  Cosmetically I've never liked the looks of that huge converter chamber that hangs under the bike and on my bike the cat most likely doesn't do much anyway after I cut the jumper located on the wire side of the ECU connector which causes the ECU to not look for an O2 sensor signal.  I might waste my time and contact BMW and ask but no doubt I'll hear something like my bike doesn't exist in their records.  That's what I was told when I e-mailed them with a question about the ECU.  They said my ECU was simply not in their records and therefore they couldn't test it or repair it.  Don't remember why I even asked since I have no reason to believe my ECU has malfunctioned in any way.  I know a new ECU for my bike retails for over $2K which is ridiculous but not surprising.

Afternoon James

There was a European non-cat 1100RS, thing is, I don't know if it used a standard cat/muffler without a cat bed inside or used a straight pipe from headers to a different style muffler.

What I would do is somehow try to find an early European 1100RS  serial number, then we can put that S/N into the online parts finder & see what was offered as a European  non-cat muffler.  

Obviously there are aftermarket pipes & mufflers available but those usually sound like crap on a BMW 360° firing boxer. 

More info__ ( I called a friend in Europe & he gave me his early 1100 RS vin to use.)

The part number I could find for the non-cat muffler is--     18121341494

Also note: a lot of web sites show the   18121341495 (cat version) when you search for the   18121341494  so be careful in what you are seeing. 

Here is a UK web site showing the 18121341494 non-cat muffler, NOTE:  is says "no cat" inside but to me the outside looks the same as U.S. (only no o2 sensor threaded bung).  (3rd picture down from top)

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=30&Ct=KA&SbCt=BA_10_30_KA_20

Yes D.R.,  0118121341494 is the part number for just the muffler and if you make the last digit a 5 then you get the muffler/cat.  I suspect if you found a Euro version you would get the same assembly with the cat left out.  Maybe they fill the empty cat chamber with a steel wool like material to reduce resonance.  So, it was a thought but I think it would be counterproductive. 

As far as non-OEM goes I kind of try and stay clear of that in most cases.  I've kind of come to the conclusion that one should avoid non-OEM as much as possible since fit and finish is often compromised.

Thanks for looking into this D.R.

17 hours ago, JamesW said:

Yes D.R.,  0118121341494 is the part number for just the muffler and if you make the last digit a 5 then you get the muffler/cat.  I suspect if you found a Euro version you would get the same assembly with the cat left out.  Maybe they fill the empty cat chamber with a steel wool like material to reduce resonance.  So, it was a thought but I think it would be counterproductive. 

As far as non-OEM goes I kind of try and stay clear of that in most cases.  I've kind of come to the conclusion that one should avoid non-OEM as much as possible since fit and finish is often compromised.

Thanks for looking into this D.R.

Morning James

BMW probably leaves the cat chamber open (no Cat bed inside), steel wool would attenuate the exhaust note a little but steel wool doesn't hold up for a long time.

I have gutted a number of motorcycle cats in my life (off-road usage only disclaimer), on the BMW boxer bikes they sound pretty decent as the open cat chamber acts more like a pre-muffler resonator so they don't get much louder & still retain  the quiet boxer exhaust note. 

Early on I just cut a trap door in the rear top of the cat  then chipped out the cat element & screen then tig welded the cut out piece back in using  ER347 stainless steel TIG rod. 

Later on I figured out how to actually gut the darn things through a side hole that I would plug with a bolted in o2 sensor bung (LOTS & LOTS) of tedious work to chip the cat bed & screen out through a 1" hole.  

A European company builds a catless muffler called a Dominator for my bike for a very reasonable price (about $200 with shipping) which looks nice but I can't find much info on how they sound or fit on the BMW.  The build quality looks good as well.  I admit to being tempted and they look to be pretty good quality judging from what little I could find out on internet.  I'll probably pass on it unless I can find more info.  The OEM muffler sold for $1440 when it was available which it no longer is.  Talk about man your wallet.

• Thinking 1

The cost of the Dominator muffler for my bike is $228 US and includes shipping from The Netherlands. Shipping time to my address on west coast is 7 days via UPS air freight direct from Germany to San Francisco then ground from SF to Oregon.  Not bad, going to think on it then probably won't do it but tempting.  Oh, takes 6 days to build the muffler as well.  If I really needed a new exhaust system no doubt this would be the one.  But, the bike would no doubt not sound the same which might be good or bad you never know.  Also, if the back pressure changes the bike could have a tendency to back fire again you never know but for the cost I would try it.

Shoot!  I just couldn't resist...ordered the Dominator exhaust for my BMW.  With shipping is $220 so pretty good.  Going to keep the factory exhaust at least until I decide the Dominator is a keeper.  One of the reasons I decided to do this is I ran the bike with an Innovate Motor Sports LC-2 system and I was never sure but what the bike was running somehow too rich and may have at least partially clogged the catalytic converter.  I'm sure with the LC-2 the cat was no longer functioning.  Also, I did notice bits of carbon collecting around the muffler exhaust port face after even short rides which always bothered me.  This doesn't happen at all after I clipped the code plug jumper which prevents the ECU from going closed loop which on the early R1100's results in open loop running with no O2 sensor data to affect the AFR.  Bike runs perfect just like a well tuned airhead with Bing carbs, nice!

Well, and then we have what in my view is one unsightly and over weight muffler catalytic converter chamber.  The OEM muffler/cat assembly is no longer available here or from Germany so I'll keep it, for now.

Danceswithdeer

I'm also considering this route. Please post your impressions once you see the exhaust and hold it for real. I can't wait to see how it looks on the bike. Being from the Netherlands, I can't imagine it being too loud.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:01 PM, Danceswithdeer said:

I'm also considering this route. Please post your impressions once you see the exhaust and hold it for real. I can't wait to see how it looks on the bike. Being from the Netherlands, I can't imagine it being too loud.

I sure will post a pix and let you know what I think

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It took awhile but yesterday my new Dominator muffler finally got here.  first I will say that the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.  Today I went for a ride and I really am impressed with the sound and I can't ask for more.  There is no popping or backfiring and the bike seems to run smoother and starts quicker.  Maybe this is just my imagination but it seems that way.  On my ride I stopped at the local HD biker watering hole in Old Town Florence where the HD guys sit outside admiring their bikes whilst sipping a cold one.  There were 5 or 6 HD guys siting out having a coffee it being before noon. So, I park the bike and remove my full face helmet and say..."Now I sound just like you guys", and then I snicker.  One HD guy says, "Not even close" and I laugh and go in and get a cup.  All things considered I really like the Dominator and it has improved my shifting up through 3rd gear because  I can hear what the motor is doing where I couldn't before.  Cruising in 4th or 5th all I hear is a faint murmur and at idle, which is very smooth, bike isn't at all too loud just pleasant.  Long and short is I highly recommend Dominator for a flat twin BMW.:18:

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JamesW said:

It took awhile but yesterday my new Dominator muffler finally got here.  first I will say that the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.  Today I went for a ride and I really am impressed with the sound and I can't ask for more.  There is no popping or backfiring and the bike seems to run smoother and starts quicker.  Maybe this is just my imagination but it seems that way.  On my ride I stopped at the local HD biker watering hole in Old Town Florence where the HD guys sit outside admiring their bikes whilst sipping a cold one.  There were 5 or 6 HD guys siting out having a coffee it being before noon. So, I park the bike and remove my full face helmet and say..."Now I sound just like you guys", and then I snicker.  One HD guy says, "Not even close" and I laugh and go in and get a cup.  All things considered I really like the Dominator and it has improved my shifting up through 3rd gear because  I can hear what the motor is doing where I couldn't before.  Cruising in 4th or 5th all I hear is a faint murmur and at idle, which is very smooth, bike isn't at all too loud just pleasant.  Long and short is I highly recommend Dominator for a flat twin BMW.:18:

Afternoon James

Sounds good, typically those type systems degrade the muffler packing as the miles accumulate so if possible post a follow up on that system after few thousand miles.  

I know a lot of people turn up their noses at aftermarket exhaust on our BMW's. Shortly after I bought my 02 RT , a Laser cat.elim. exhaust became available. I went for it and never looked back. Saved about 30 lbs. and in my opinion ,sounds great . Not loud at all , but you can hear it when your working the gears as you mentioned. Glad you like it James and enjoy.

• Plus 1 1

I would post a picture but for some reason I can't upload from my camera to my Mac.  I should also say that where the weight loss is concerned it is a bit easier to put on the center stand.  That's about all I've noticed in the weight department.

Yes D.R., I have heard that packing material in these after market mufflers might not last so I will keep an eye (ear) on it.

Photos of Dominator muffler on R1100RSL.  Forgot to mention that the Dominator comes with a 5 year warranty.  So, if muffler needed a repack it would be economical to ship it back to the Netherlands for repair.  I'm sure Dominator would foot the bill for return shipment so no issues.  I might order the optional db killer at 35 euros but I doubt it because it sounds perfect as is so probably not.  I just absolutely love the appearance of the bike.  Notice the side stand in the second photo with my homemade foot.  Visited the hardware plumbing department and picked up an end cap for a 2-1/2" ABS drain pipe and 3 stainless screws and nuts and no more tip over worries on soft soil.  So, I'm cheap I admit it.

6E34189D-C0EC-4999-BB74-908913BF7CC6.jpeg

045EFEAE-B3FE-4E25-9F17-8588368CC281.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi deer dancer,  While I think of it:  When you mount the Dominator don't expect to fasten the new muffler hanger where the OEM muffler was installed.  Remove the passenger foot peg and the bolt holding the foot peg mount bracket and install the Dominator muffler clamp and the foot peg bracket and bolt.  You can kind of compress the foot peg with your hand to ease installation to the bracket and insert the pin securing with a new cotter pin.  Hope this helps.  I thought the new muffler clamp would install  where the OEM was installed but no dice, just won't align properly but mounts perfectly under the passenger foot peg.

Wish I new what to do with the OEM muffler because I'm never going to remount that boat anchor and nobody would ever buy it and pay the postage.  A new OEM muffler if you could get one which is no long even available sold for $1440, if you can believe it!  I guess considering BMW I can believe it.:mad:

Also, my Dominator took about two weeks to arrive because it was delayed in Louisville, KY by US Customs.  Louisville is apparently the port of entry for UPS shipments arriving from Western Europe in this case Germany.  Once it cleared customs it arrived very quickly in about two days.  Customs opened the package and then resealed and did a kind of sloppy job but Dominator wasn't damaged at all as it was wrapped tightly in about a mile of bubble wrap.

Danceswithdeer

The Dominator arrived a few days ago, and dang it sure is light. Mine was also wrapped in a mile of bubble wrap, so it arrived unscathed.

18 hours ago, Danceswithdeer said:

The Dominator arrived a few days ago, and dang it sure is light. Mine was also wrapped in a mile of bubble wrap, so it arrived unscathed.

Glad you got it.  I been riding around and decided to order the db killer which should reduce the noise by half.  My neighbors look at me with much disgust.  First it was the Borla exhaust mufflers on my Mustang and now this. lol..lol..  Cost with shipping from the Netherlands is $101 so not too bad.  

I know this shouldn't be true but my R1100 seems to start better and even have more power which seems hard to believe and maybe my imagination but it sure seems like it.  No doubt the Dominator has reduced back pressure a bit but a noticeable power output increase?  I really don't believe it but the bike is lighter and does take less effort to put on center stand.  Long and short is to me it was worth it.

Danceswithdeer
On 4/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, JamesW said:

Glad you got it.  I been riding around and decided to order the db killer which should reduce the noise by half.  My neighbors look at me with much disgust.  First it was the Borla exhaust mufflers on my Mustang and now this. lol..lol..  Cost with shipping from the Netherlands is $101 so not too bad.  

I know this shouldn't be true but my R1100 seems to start better and even have more power which seems hard to believe and maybe my imagination but it sure seems like it.  No doubt the Dominator has reduced back pressure a bit but a noticeable power output increase?  I really don't believe it but the bike is lighter and does take less effort to put on center stand.  Long and short is to me it was worth it.

Believe it or not, when I bought mine, it was on sale; I got it for $197 delivered. Crazy cheap for such a well built exhaust. How did you mount it to the footpeg bracket? 

Danceswithdeer

I got it mounted, but it sure seems close to the left side bag. Maybe the stock pipe was that close to the bag, but I never really looked at it. I love the sound, but I may buy a DB Killer as well. I live at 7220', so there's still snow on the ground. I'll evaluate the sound once I can ride a decent distance. And dang, the bike definitely feels WAY lighter just moving around the garage.

The Dominator muffler is a glass pack and it really doesn't get hot just warm so shouldn't hurt the bag.  I sure am glad to get rid of that boat anchor of an OEM cat/muffler and I never could stand the looks of the thing.  

Danceswithdeer
18 hours ago, JamesW said:

The Dominator muffler is a glass pack and it really doesn't get hot just warm so shouldn't hurt the bag.  I sure am glad to get rid of that boat anchor of an OEM cat/muffler and I never could stand the looks of the thing.  

Yeah; I've always hated the looks of the converter since my 1992 GS. One of the first things I did with that bike was install a "Y pipe" to get rid of the converter. My '99 RS was pretty cherry (only 22K when I bought it last year), and the ugliest thing on it was the converter...burned on black road tar, road grime, etc. Other than that, the bike was pretty much perfect.

OK, went for a ride today with the db killer installed.  When I fired up the bike my wife was standing outside and immediately gave me a thumbs up.  It is quieter  and not as sharp and is more deep sounding for sure.   I like it better and I can still hear good sound which as I said earlier helps with gear changes.  I rode through old town and tourists didn't stare at me like they did with the OEM insert.  I think the muffler maybe runs a little hotter which stands to reason.  Also, I'm sure the back pressure is increased a little but I can't feel a difference in power output so long and short is I like it and for me I think it's worth it.  Going to keep the OEM medium silencer though.  When I go for a ride into Eastern Oregon this spring I might change silencers just to re-evaluate but I like the low base like tone with the db killer and it's nice not getting stared at. lol..lol..

Deerdancer,  You might get some heavy aluminum foil and epoxy a piece on the underside of your left side trunk to make sure the bag is protected from heat.  Seems I remember my '04 R1150RT left bag came that way.  

I just took posession of a 2005 R1150GS RSA with cat deleted.  This probably doesn't help much, but now I have a working example of a cat-deleted R1150GS RSA with Akropovik muffler.  The previous owner gave me the 40lb lump of a catalytic converter and the 30lb OEM muffler in the kit that came with the bike.  I am not sure right now what part number the PO used to replace the cat leading to the muffler.  But it sounds very nice and extremely quiet, just a putter.  You can reach in to the muffler tip and turn a D-ring, unthreading the

putter-maker (do it cold of course) to adjust the sound to your liking.  Without the putter-maker the exhaust sounds much louder and rumbles, and I get an occasional backfire.  The O2 sensor is screwed into the mysterious system that replaces the cat...I just looked and can't find a part number anywhere.

There's so much more space under the bike now without the cat in place.   I would say the new parts are approximately 30 lbs versus the 70lbs of OEM cat and OEM muffler.  Losing 50 pounds is never a bad thing.

Welllll, now I don't know.  I kind of like the medium silencer.  When I'm cruising along at 70 the medium has a very pleasant not too loud kind of throaty purr.  Also, my derrière dino thinks power output is maybe a tiny bit higher and the bike seems smoother and starts maybe quicker.  Also, the cooler muffler can't be a bad thing where the glass pack is concerned and I don't really mind if some people don't like the sound because they'll soon get over it.  Who is it that always says loud noises save lives? :dance: Besides, it is very easy to change out the silencers.

After a long test ride yesterday with the db killer baffle I got 44.3 MPG on a two lane with every type of riding one is likely to encounter up and down steep hills, slow curves, some traffic, etc.  I used ear plugs and after a couple hours the noise from the muffler began to grate on my nerves.  The other thing I noticed was an odd smelling very strong odor coming from the exhaust which fouled the garage when I put the bike away. Had to open the doors and air the place out. The db killer doesn't really quiet the muffler it just changes the tone to a highly annoying kind of raspy sound.  So, I reinstalled the medium sound level insert and will try it out on a long ride today.  In the end, I hate to say it, but the stock muffler might very well be re-installed.

The dominator is low cost when compared to others and is nicely finished low weight and looks great on the bike but I don't think it was engineered for any specific bike just kind of one size fits all and I don't think I want to risk possible engine damage by running this thing.  In other words I think I got pretty much what I paid for in other words not much.  That db killer is definitely not going to  be used with my bike and the jury is still out on the medium silencer.  

In general one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to especially BMW aftermarket goodies often times come up a bit short in the end.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JamesW said:

After a long test ride yesterday with the db killer baffle I got 44.3 MPG on a two lane with every type of riding one is likely to encounter up and down steep hills, slow curves, some traffic, etc.  I used ear plugs and after a couple hours the noise from the muffler began to grate on my nerves.  The other thing I noticed was an odd smelling very strong odor coming from the exhaust which fouled the garage when I put the bike away. Had to open the doors and air the place out. The db killer doesn't really quiet the muffler it just changes the tone to a highly annoying kind of raspy sound.  So, I reinstalled the medium sound level insert and will try it out on a long ride today.  In the end, I hate to say it, but the stock muffler might very well be re-installed.

The dominator is low cost when compared to others and is nicely finished low weight and looks great on the bike but I don't think it was engineered for any specific bike just kind of one size fits all and I don't think I want to risk possible engine damage by running this thing.  In other words I think I got pretty much what I paid for in other words not much.  That db killer is definitely not going to  be used with my bike and the jury is still out on the medium silencer.  

In general one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to especially BMW aftermarket goodies often times come up a bit short in the end.  

Afternoon   James

If you are a persistent, adaptable, mechanical sense type person then you c-a-n, with some difficulty, gut the cat through a small hole in the side of the cat using a long steel rod, long chisel, rolling & shaking the cat around (lot of hammering & chiseling). Not at all easy but I have done a few that way. The cat bed breaks up fairly easily but there is a steel mesh inside that is a REAL FIGHTER.

Then you can install a stepped stainless steel o2 sensor bung in that hole using a stainless steel allen head bolt   with a stainless steel threaded plate on the inside (if done neatly & with precision it darn near looks factory.

Slightly louder than stock but doesn't have that raspy annoying drone like sound of a glass-pack on a 360° firing flat twin boxer.   

All's well that ends well.  Went for the test ride with the medium silencer installed and I like it.  The idle speed went up about 500 RPM and is smooth with no variation at all.  The sound level at idle is very nice and produces a deep and steady rumble and not at all too load.  Gas mileage on the trip came in at 46.3 MPG so up a little.  Rear 2/3 of the muffler remained cold to the touch and front 1/3 was also much cooler and I could leave my hand on it with the bike at idle.  At constant 60+ mph speed in 4th or 5th muffler produces a  not to loud purring sound that is very pleasing to the ear.  Wish I had never ordered the db killer silencer  Also, odd smell coming from the muffler is gone.  Oh, and power output seems noticeably up as well so I'm very pleased especially when compared to using the db killer silencer.

Anyone interested in a dominator db killer it's yours for $30 otherwise she goes into the recycle bin because I have no use for it.  Might work better on something other than a BMW flat twin. Cost me $100 with UPS from the Netherlands.  The db killer is a stainless steel tube that is closed at the end that resides in the muffler with four rows of 1/4" holes 7 in each row down the sides.  I can't help but think the back pressure is much higher with this silencer.  The medium silencer is the same length but is completely open at each end so obviously much less restrictive with no holes down the side just a straight through path for exhaust gases just like the OEM muffler is constructed.  So, I feel better about it more likely not having detrimental effects on the engine.

D.R.,  I'll pass on gutting the cat in the OEM exhaust.  Better to keep it as is in case the day comes when I no longer ride and want to sell my bikes.  Hate to think it but that day is probably not far off.  On my '04 R1150RT I took the muffler/cat to a machine shop and told them where to cut it open to cut out the honey comb object then weld back together.  Didn't, cost but about $50 but that was 2005.  This made the muffler a little louder and not better sounding much at all imo.

I got to say one more thing.  The Dominator supposedly has a 5 year warranty although I can't find this warranty to read it.  I think if one were to use this so-called db killer silencer there is no way that glass pack muffler will go anywhere near 5 years without a repack.  

On 3/29/2022 at 1:53 PM, JamesW said:

James, i have a question for you. I have. 2000 R1100Rt which i love and is still running strong and no issues.  That said I’ve always thought I’d like to try out a different exhaust.  So, since the exhaust is original how hard is it to remove. Then does the Dominator have a fitting for the O2 sensor?   Ive read that with out the sensor the bike will run like crap.  Any info would be appreciated. Phil. 

Hi Phil,

Yeah, the original muffler assembly is easy to remove.  Just loosen the clamp that connects the muffler/catalytic chamber to the head pipe then it works best with two people because the thing is so heavy and awkward.  Then remove the bolt that attaches the back end of the muffler  and lower it down and you're done.  The Dominator is a snap to install and is easiest again with two people just to line things up.  Yes, there is a port for your O2 sensor.

Now, on my early R1100RSL thanks to a suggestion from Dirt Rider, AKA D.R., I cut a jumper on the wire side of the connector that attaches to the computer which I think on all 1100s is a Motronic 2.2 and this small modification seems to have activated a fueling program in the ECU that was used if the motorcycle was destined for sale in a country that did not require use of a cat converter in 1994.  Your bike, I think also uses a Motronic 2.2 but may not use a jumper but instead might use a code plug that is located in the fuse relay compartment under the seat.  If it does then it might be as simple as removing the code plug which is easy to locate and maybe yellow colored.  You might try this and see how the bike runs.  I know on a 2004 R1150RT it won't work because the 1150 uses a Motronic 2.4.  I would not be surprised if it wouldn't work on yours either and D.R. I'm sure would know.  If it did work like it did on my early R1100RSL you would be amazed at how perfect your bike would then run and cutting this jumper also eliminated the need to use an O2 sensor at all.  The Dominator comes with an O2 sensor bung plug so you just leave the plug in the O2 port and toss the O2 sensor in the circular file.  Just make sure if you do this that you make sure the bung plug is tight mine wasn't and would have fallen out.

Are you there D.R.?

22 hours ago, MarinPhil said:

James, i have a question for you. I have. 2000 R1100Rt which i love and is still running strong and no issues.  That said I’ve always thought I’d like to try out a different exhaust.  So, since the exhaust is original how hard is it to remove. Then does the Dominator have a fitting for the O2 sensor?   Ive read that with out the sensor the bike will run like crap.  Any info would be appreciated. Phil. 

Afternoon MarinPhil

As James said your 2000 R1100RT (Ma 2.2) should run just fine without an o2 sensor as long as you remove the factory CCP from the fuse box.

In fact a LOT of BMW 1100 riders used to disable the o2 sensor  by removing the CCP as that ran them a bit richer just above idle. That was just enough to eliminate some or all of the light throttle surging.

If your CCP is removed (yours might already be) then it has been running with the o2 sensor inactive. 

About the only issue with removing the CCP is that it increases the idle RPM a little due to the richer fuel/mixture at idle.

What you read about deactivating the o2 sensor making them run worse was probably written about the later 1150 (Ma 2.4) motorcycles. 

King Herald

I have a U.K. 1997 r1100r, that came with the stock pipe on, that doesn't have a cat inside, though the outside is pretty big and bulky, so I guess it's the same basic metalwork. The whole unit weighs in at over 40 lbs 

I replaced it with a Dominator, muffler and connector pipe, but mine came via Ebay and  it was from Poland, not the Netherlands. All the Dominator pipes I see are from Poland. It looks identical to the ones pictures here too. When first fitted it was deafening, so I bolted in the 'decibel killer', which cut down the noise a fair bit but made a godawful whistling  sound on the over run. I modified the 'decibel killer' a little and it sound like a normal exhaust note, and was a bit quieter too. I like to hear my exhaust, but not too loud. It makes gear changing easier when you can hear what your motor is doing. 

A7995F79-82EE-4314-8D6F-BB1982C1F5B5.jpeg

Hello Herald,

I kind of think your Dominator is a bit different than a Dominator muffler for a 2000 R1100RT might be.  On my R1100RSL there was no need at all for the db killer silencer.  My Dominator came with the medium silencer and it is perfect not so with the optional db killer at all.  With shipping I wasted $100US on the db killer.  For fun I drilled a 1/2" hole in the end but thought better of trying it out so I, as we say, bit the bullet and tossed it in the recycle bin.  I chalk it up to one of life's little mistakes so no big deal and I could have spent a whole lot more on a very expensive after market exhaust and not been one bit happier in the end.  I also like that with the stock medium silencer the muffler body runs cool to the touch which would, I think, be good for getting maximum life out of the glass pack.

D.R., Thanks for that info on the later R1100 bikes.  That answered a couple questions for me as well.  The only 1100 bike I'm familiar with is my outlier '93.  Knowing what I know now I would take any R1100 to an R1150 that's for sure.  I remember when both my stick coils went bad right in the middle of nowhere on the Oregon - Nevada border.  And then we have that abomination of a linked ABS power brake system with the 13 bleeders.:88:

King Herald

The 'decibel killer' that came with my muffler was little more than a 4" length of 1 1/2" steel tube, nothing inside it, just a flange to bolt it inside the main muffler. It essentially did nothing more than take the edge of the exhaust howl. I welded a large washer to the inner end, then drilled a dozen 3/8" holes around the tube, which made a much more mellow exhaust note. Not sure what it does high speed performance, but I don't ride particularly hard anyway. 

The ABS had been stripped from my bike before I got it, one less headache to deal with.  :grin:

IMG_1647.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't resist, maybe I'm bored.  Anyway, I drilled a 3/8" hole in the cat enclosure and attempted to punch a hole in the cat honeycomb and not going there just a real b&$#h.  Inspected the cat as best I could and it looked restricted and contaminated with carbon build up.  So, I payed a visit to the county transfer station and heaved it into the metal recycle dumpster and good riddance.  

Dominator exhaust system forever bike likes it and so do I.

• Like 1
Danceswithdeer

The snow finally went away at 7220' and I got the bike together, so I took a ride without the DB Killer. The bike has a nice sound and seems rompier when I go through the gears. I ordered the medium DB Killer just to see what it's all about. I ride with a good helmet and earplugs always, so the noise wasn't horrible or anything; it actually sounded good. At 7220', all of my vehicles run rich (there's just not enough oxygen here), so if this exhaust helps me lean a bit, that's a good thing. The biggest thing is the weight loss with the stock exhaust replaced. I'm guessing my RS is weighing in at 500lbs or less these days fully gassed and ready to go. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Sounds like you purchased your muffler equipped with the db killer silencer instead of the standard medium silencer which is what mine came with.  Then I bought the db killer version later which I didn't like.  Also, with the medium silencer the muffler body stays very cool from the clamp to the end and only gets warm near where it attaches to the head pipe extension.  As I said earlier I like the way the medium silencer improves performance over the db killer as well because it really reduces back pressure and I like the sound much better as well.  One of these days I'm going to sync the throttle bodies and reduce the idle speed a touch from 1100 revs to maybe a touch below 1K.  Kind of a pain to do on my bike because it's the limited edition so side covers must be removed to access the TBs.  I also like the sound when I pass someone because they hear me coming when I get on the throttle so they have less tendency to speed up like so many from that golden state of mind seem to enjoy doing.  My Mustang GT with Borla mufflers has the same affect when I pull out to pass.  Like the HD guys say, "Loud noises save lives".  I'm becoming a believer.  Think I also said that while ago.  Guess it's true that the first thing to go is your mind.:dopeslap:

• 2 weeks later...
King Herald
On 4/30/2022 at 12:03 AM, JamesW said:

Hello Herald,

I kind of think your Dominator is a bit different than a Dominator muffler for a 2000 R1100RT might be.  On my R1100RSL there was no need at all for the db killer silencer.  My Dominator came with the medium silencer and it is perfect not so with the optional db killer at all.  With shipping I wasted $100US on the db killer.  For fun I drilled a 1/2" hole in the end but thought better of trying it out so I, as we say, bit the bullet and tossed it in the recycle bin.  I chalk it up to one of life's little mistakes so no big deal and I could have spent a whole lot more on a very expensive after market exhaust and not been one bit happier in the end.  I also like that with the stock medium silencer the muffler body runs cool to the touch which would, I think, be good for getting maximum life out of the glass pack.

D.R., Thanks for that info on the later R1100 bikes.  That answered a couple questions for me as well.  The only 1100 bike I'm familiar with is my outlier '93.  Knowing what I know now I would take any R1100 to an R1150 that's for sure.  I remember when both my stick coils went bad right in the middle of nowhere on the Oregon - Nevada border.  And then we have that abomination of a linked ABS power brake system with the 13 bleeders.:88:

Do you have a web site or link to the place you ordered your Dominator from? Mine is getting a bit scruffy and if I replace it I'd like to try a genuine one, and not (what appears to be) a Polish knock off from Ebay like I currently have. 

18 hours ago, King Herald said:

Do you have a web site or link to the place you ordered your Dominator from? Mine is getting a bit scruffy and if I replace it I'd like to try a genuine one, and not (what appears to be) a Polish knock off from Ebay like I currently have. 

Evening Herald,

I ordered mine direct from this site.  https://www.dominator-exhausts.nl  The muffler ships direct from the Germany by UPS World Service and doesn't take long.  Mine was held up in Louisville by US Customs probably because that was when the invasion of Ukraine was getting underway and there was mass confusion.  It ships direct to Louisville which is the UPS port of entry for air freight from Europe.  Once it cleared customs I received it 3 days later and I live on the Oregon coast.  Great service.

King Herald
4 hours ago, JamesW said:

Evening Herald,

I ordered mine direct from this site.  https://www.dominator-exhausts.nl  The muffler ships direct from the Germany by UPS World Service and doesn't take long.  Mine was held up in Louisville by US Customs probably because that was when the invasion of Ukraine was getting underway and there was mass confusion.  It ships direct to Louisville which is the UPS port of entry for air freight from Europe.  Once it cleared customs I received it 3 days later and I live on the Oregon coast.  Great service.

Thanks for the link. It is actually the same manufacturer I bought mine from. First paragraph of the web site:

Welcome to Dominator Exhausts Netherlands, the official reseller of Dominator Exhaust! We offer Dominator exhausts for almost any brand: Aprilia, Buell, BMW, Cagiva, CAN-AM, Ducati, Honda, Husqvarna, KTM, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Yamaha, Triumph, MV Agusta and more.

Dominator Exhausts is based in Poland and has been producing exhausts for motorcycles for the last 15 years. "

I shall order from them if I do replace my muffler, rather than go through the Ebay system like I did before. I'll check into the quieter version of mine, if they do one. And now the U.K. has left the EU I shall probably get hit for import taxes and duties too.  

On 4/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, JamesW said:

Hi Phil,

Yeah, the original muffler assembly is easy to remove.  Just loosen the clamp that connects the muffler/catalytic chamber to the head pipe then it works best with two people because the thing is so heavy and awkward.  Then remove the bolt that attaches the back end of the muffler  and lower it down and you're done.  The Dominator is a snap to install and is easiest again with two people just to line things up.  Yes, there is a port for your O2 sensor.

Now, on my early R1100RSL thanks to a suggestion from Dirt Rider, AKA D.R., I cut a jumper on the wire side of the connector that attaches to the computer which I think on all 1100s is a Motronic 2.2 and this small modification seems to have activated a fueling program in the ECU that was used if the motorcycle was destined for sale in a country that did not require use of a cat converter in 1994.  Your bike, I think also uses a Motronic 2.2 but may not use a jumper but instead might use a code plug that is located in the fuse relay compartment under the seat.  If it does then it might be as simple as removing the code plug which is easy to locate and maybe yellow colored.  You might try this and see how the bike runs.  I know on a 2004 R1150RT it won't work because the 1150 uses a Motronic 2.4.  I would not be surprised if it wouldn't work on yours either and D.R. I'm sure would know.  If it did work like it did on my early R1100RSL you would be amazed at how perfect your bike would then run and cutting this jumper also eliminated the need to use an O2 sensor at all.  The Dominator comes with an O2 sensor bung plug so you just leave the plug in the O2 port and toss the O2 sensor in the circular file.  Just make sure if you do this that you make sure the bung plug is tight mine wasn't and would have fallen out.

Are you there D.R.?

Thanks for the  input .  Ive had my 2000 Rt for many years along with many other bikes but I refuse to get rid of it.  Its so reliable and easy to service.  Ive been on the fence but since I’ve removed the ccp relay and as other have said, she still run great. Going to take the plunge and order the Dominator muffler.  I’ll report back how it goes.  Folks here are so helpful. 

Thanks for the  input .  Ive had my 2000 Rt for many years along with many other bikes but I refuse to get rid of it.  Its so reliable and easy to service.  Ive been on the fence but since I’ve removed the ccp relay and as other have said, she still run great. Going to take the plunge and order the Dominator muffler.  I’ll report back how it goes.  Folks here are so helpful. 

Just a quick f/u while waiting for the new silencer shipment.  Pulled out the CCP relay, helpfully described as the big yellow one in the fuse box. Cold startup was instant with the fast idle engaged.  No warm up. Rode/ fueled perfectly.  No hesitation.  👍😁. Yea, guess us retired folks have too much time on our hands.  

Hi Phil,

Guess what?  Now you can disconnect your O2 sensor because your bike will no longer expect an input from the sensor.  You can even toss the sensor in the circular file and screw a bung plug in the sensor port if you want or not up to you.

• 1 year later...
gertler

I know this is an old post now but just in case anyone is still listening...

I really appreciate all the information on here and am so glad for JamesW's extensive analysis! Again, if anyone is still listening, I have a 2000 R1100R and am thinking of getting the Dominator but was curious about this ECU/CCP thing and if it is the same for my R1100R. I'm confused about either cutting a wire or pulling something in the fuse box. If anyone knows a little about this I'd appreciate it if you could steer me straight. Also don't want to lower MPG so was curious what the difference is between eliminating the O2 sensor or not eliminating it with the dominator exhaust.