IGNORED

BMW MOA

Pocono

10 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

What?? Are you referring to "the sane and adult tone that most have here when members disagree but discuss respectfully and find ways to agree on points."??  Did I miss something in particular??  It still seems to be polite disagreement to me.  But, maybe some will disagree impolitely with that statement.

+1 .... what Lowndes said !! 

Well, I guess no one disagrees with my original statement.  

So, I'll claim proof positive on the original postulate that you really are a nice bunch of guys here.

Just one question: who let me in??

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Lowndes said:

Well, I guess no one disagrees with my original statement.  

So, I'll claim proof positive on the original postulate that you really are a nice bunch of guys here.

We've been asking that question for years :3:

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

What?? Are you referring to "the sane and adult tone that most have here when members disagree but discuss respectfully and find ways to agree on points."??  Did I miss something in particular??  It still seems to be polite disagreement to me.  But, maybe some will disagree impolitely with that statement.

It was the reference to "hate" that for me went beyond a "sane and adult tone".

1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Lowndes The question isn't who let you in? Rather, how did you sneak in?   :5146:    .................................:wave:     

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, RadioFlyer said:

It was the reference to "hate" that for me went beyond a "sane and adult tone".

Which one??  I searched and found three uses of the word "hate" in this topic; Bernie, Michigan Bob, and you.  And for once I'm trying NOT to be sarcastic. 

Please consider that some words in our language have multiple meanings and connotation.  I can appreciate that "hate" is a four letter word and in some situations is considerably worse than that, but I did not sense any particularly malovent meaning in either original use here or yours.  As Mark Twain said, "I get paid 3¢ a word and cop is shorter than policeman."  Substitute "particularly dislike with good reason" in both sentences and everyone will be happy.

We might institute a new acronym here - PDGR.  And it's still four letters.  

There are people here much cleverer that can come up with better ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The MOA mission statement is “Building a vibrant community, inspiring enthusiasts to connect, sharing our passion for motorcycles”. I would venture that those who do their own maintenance and repairs are amongst the most passionate when it comes to their motorcycles. For them the nasty Halloween trick of a year ago by BMW to discontinue the provision of service information came as quite a blow. We are routinely told that “You are the MOA!” but those for whom the service manuals are important have a hard time seeing it that way given the MOA’s inaction on the issue. I am not speaking of becoming politically active nor legal pursuits but rather that the MOA leverage the power of social media to convey our concerns to BMW and request some effort at redress.

Tombstone Reaper.jpg

• Haha 1
Yeeha Stephen
On 3/28/2022 at 7:43 AM, Rinkydink said:

I just knocked $500 off the price of my new RT because I’m an MOA member. You have to be a member for over a year to receive that perk though. 

I did too.

And today I used the MOA member discount to purchase new BMW repair parts from the local dealer. Over the $500 threshold and hit the 35% discount level.

Saved $450 on a new front wheel alone. (Seriously bent one 2 weeks ago in Ark )

So, for me the perks have payed back.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/619146/M...-BMW-Parts.htm

SS

• Like 1

There is something perverse about BMW charging outrageous prices for parts, as well as having discriminatory pricing between NA and other parts of the world and the MOA exploiting the situation by claiming short-term, limited-scope discounts as a member benefit. It has the appearance of a conflict of interest. Effectively the MOA benefits from the abusive BMW NA pricing policy. Members get a short-lived discount but at the price of paying excessively on an indeterminate basis. BMW carries on confident that its captive club will not object.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RadioFlyer said:

There is something perverse about BMW charging outrageous prices for parts, as well as having discriminatory pricing between NA and other parts of the world and the MOA exploiting the situation by claiming short-term, limited-scope discounts as a member benefit. It has the appearance of a conflict of interest. Effectively the MOA benefits from the abusive BMW NA pricing policy. Members get a short-lived discount but at the price of paying excessively on an indeterminate basis. BMW carries on confident that its captive club will not object.

Sounds like you need to find a different brand of motorcycle.

image.png.a595c5ec586dd9e31c65841ba6ee9e71.png

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 3
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Sounds like you need to find a different brand of motorcycle.

image.png.a595c5ec586dd9e31c65841ba6ee9e71.png

No kidding !!   Honestly I would not do business with a company I felt that negatively about let alone ride one of their motorcycles. 

• Plus 1 2
On 9/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

Having the FSM provides among a myriad of other things the ability to have step by step instructions for the removal and install of body panels including what fastening methods are used so clip in mounting tabs are not broken in the process.  It's also an indispensable guide to the routing of wiring and hoses etc which can be absolutely necessary when adding farkles or other things like auxiliary lights. That's all in addition to the more complex service that many of us would choose to perform but for our inability to obtain the FSM. The fact that others don't see the need doesn't mean it's not there. That's my $.02

The reasons you mention to need a FSM I have access to in my $20 Haynes manual. 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:51 PM, RTinNC said:

I have a similar perspective.  I do a lot of the simple maintenance on my 2 BMWs such as fluid changes, filter changes, spark plugs, etc.  in addition I install most of my own farkles and never have I once needed or thought I needed a factory service manual. I still feel I am at one with my bikes and feel a bond with them.  I think it’s a pretty small minority who ever actually need or use the factory service manual. And if they need to perform a repair that requires a factory service manual they most likely do not have the computer equipment to do so.  We’re talking about 2023+ BMWs not airheads or oilheads.  Unfortunately those days are history.  But if that’s the path you prefer then absolutely you’d be much better served with a Tenere 700 or KLR.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I do all my simple maintenance too. BMWs have always been “different” and many times needed more specific and more expensive specialty tools to do any serious work than other brands IMO. Combine that with the ever increasing technology they’ve been adding for the past 10-15 years and you’ve probably eliminated 95% of owners from digging deep into the bikes anyway. It’s now more like someone who owns a BMW, Mercedes or Range Rover automobile that’s out of warranty and has an engine or transmission issue. The average owner isn’t going to delve into the engine or transmission in their home garage. It’s going to go to the dealership or a trusted, experienced private repair shop. 

• Like 1
On 2/2/2022 at 5:33 PM, Pocono said:

Ok, after some reading around this Forum it seems as if some are members of both.  I have belonged to many forums over the years but never a paid for one.  Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

The MOA website lists all the perks and reasons to become a member. The forum is a wealth of knowledgeable members that can talk you through any issue you may have. The monthly magazine is also very good. I’ve also sold items in the Marketplace. Just those three are worth it to me. Several people I know personally have taken advantage of and  are very happy with the 35% discount on BMW parts that they’re running until Dec 31st. I’ve never been to a National rally but have ridden to a couple of the regional weekend getaways and they were well run, a great value and a lot of fun. Everyone in attendance was very friendly and helpful and makes you feel like you’re a friend they’ve known for years. I’ve met quite a few members of the Board of Directors and they are similarly great people. Oh, and I’ve won a brand new BMW in one of their National raffles! ( A K1300S back in 2012, but I was allowed to select an RT instead) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, George S. said:

The MOA website lists all the perks and reasons to become a member. The forum is a wealth of knowledgeable members that can talk you through any issue you may have. The monthly magazine is also very good. I’ve also sold items in the Marketplace. Just those three are worth it to me. Several people I know personally have taken advantage of and  are very happy with the 35% discount on BMW parts that they’re running until Dec 31st. I’ve never been to a National rally but have ridden to a couple of the regional weekend getaways and they were well run, a great value and a lot of fun. Everyone in attendance was very friendly and helpful and makes you feel like you’re a friend they’ve known for years. I’ve met quite a few members of the Board of Directors and they are similarly great people. Oh, and I’ve won a brand new BMW in one of their National raffles! ( A K1300S back in 2012, but I was allowed to select an RT instead) 

HA!   Totally agree and I too have won a new bike at a National Rally.  What's not to like !! 

• Like 1

I won a used bike once at a neighborhood carnival put on by local kids to benefit the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Telethon!

Rode it up a crappy ramp and jumped it over three trash barrels the next day.

Well, two and a half barrels. Still have the scars from the crash.

Cool bike for a while.

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

HA!   Totally agree and I too have won a new bike at a National Rally.  What's not to like !! 

I won a 3rd prize the first year I joined. 1000 bucks credit at a vendor. Bike Bandit I think. I  bought a jacket and boots. I still have them 12 years later. I've tried the sweepstakes a couple more times without luck. Never been to the rally though. Something is always in the way or it's farther than I have time for. 

Motorhead1977

@George S, I agree that there are many reasons to buy membership in the MOA and I have just renewed mine again. That said it was disappointing for me to learn that the MOA is in essence a PR arm of BMW and not truly a member centric organization organized to promote and further the needs of the members. The MOA should clearly and obviously state their prime directive in the information provided about the organization. Compare the mission of the MOA to the idea that the basic principle of being member centric focuses on putting the needs and goals of your members AHEAD of the organization. IMHO in that respect the MOA comes up lacking by design. That's my $.02. YMMV

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

@George S, I agree that there are many reasons to buy membership in the MOA and I have just renewed mine again. That said it was disappointing for me to learn that the MOA is in essence a PR arm of BMW and not truly a member centric organization organized to promote and further the needs of the members. The MOA should clearly and obviously state their prime directive in the information provided about the organization. Compare the mission of the MOA to the idea that the basic principle of being member centric focuses on putting the needs and goals of your members AHEAD of the organization. IMHO in that respect the MOA comes up lacking by design. That's my $.02. YMMV

You hit the nail on the head.

4 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Honestly if I knew that the MOA was in fact related to, or an arm of,  BMW Motorrad I would still be a member based on the benefits and the access membership provides to other riders and all of their related BMW knowledge.   Would that be nice to know?  Sure.   Would it change my view of being a member of the MOA ... not at all.   I used to be a member of HRCA and that was supported directly by Honda, as was GTOC by Kawasaki.   I buy the motorcycle I like and make that decision first based solely on the product. But that's just me,  I am sure others may feel differently. 

• Plus 1 2
5 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Is it any different than HOG in that respect? The other end of it orgs like VROC/VBA which I belonged to before owning a BMW. I've owned four Kawasakis. those orgs have no dues and don't do much beyond camaraderie and a base for knowledge. When Kawasaki redesigned their baggers into the 1700 line, they didn't ask us what we would like at all. No focus groups or surveys. It was just like, here is, like or not. Most of us moved on to something else, mostly HD and some GWs. Very few BMWs. 12 years later I don't really see anything that piques my interest. 

Funny but today was reading my November Owners News and spotted 2 items that made me think of THIS thread and the purpose of being an MOA member for "ME".

These 2 items pretty much nail it for me.   I believe the MOA is meeting their mission statement, at least for me.  And the comment in a member submitted article confirmed the whole member  support aspect.   For me it really is that simple.  YMMV. 

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Funny but today was reading my November Owners News and spotted 2 items that made me think of THIS thread and the purpose of being an MOA member for "ME".

These 2 items pretty much nail it for me.   I believe the MOA is meeting their mission statement, at least for me.  And the comment in a member submitted article confirmed the whole member  support aspect.   For me it really is that simple.  YMMV. 

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

For me it's the agnostic nature of BMW riders, or at least it seems that way. I am not a tribal person, so a lot of the fill in the blank that goes along with being in almost any tribe is kind of foreign to me in that I don't care for it. I think for the most part people in the club are at least a little less so. That said, I wonder if Groucho's axiom about groups should apply. :) 

I absolutely agree that the vast majority of BMW MOA members are fine people and it is for this reason that most of the MOA membership benefits exist (i.e. BMW plays no part). It is the club that has lost its way. It has entered into arrangements with the BMW-controlled BMW Clubs International Council that compel it to put BMW's interests ahead of those of the membership whenever the two do not coincide. The members are being done a disservice when the MOA does not leverage its standing as a 24,000 member strong group and advocate of their behalf.

6 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

The members are being done a disservice when the MOA does not leverage its standing as a 24,000 member strong group and advocate of their behalf.

That is how you and a few others see it, I for one am a member for the community connections and resources and for that they are doing what they promise. I would like to see a better effort made to gain benefits for members who are not in the US as most of those are only available to US members.

• Like 2
On 11/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, RadioFlyer said:

I absolutely agree that the vast majority of BMW MOA members are fine people and it is for this reason that most of the MOA membership benefits exist (i.e. BMW plays no part). It is the club that has lost its way. It has entered into arrangements with the BMW-controlled BMW Clubs International Council that compel it to put BMW's interests ahead of those of the membership whenever the two do not coincide. The members are being done a disservice when the MOA does not leverage its standing as a 24,000 member strong group and advocate of their behalf.

I enjoy the MOA for several reasons, most already mentioned. I also know you’re not happy with it and you’re mounting a campaign against it for reasons you’ve expressed MANY times on this and the MOA forum. We get where you stand. I respect your right to feel as you do. Go talk to the MOA board and give us a rest. ( Comment meant with respect)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, George S. said:

I enjoy the MOA for several reasons, most already mentioned. I also know you’re not happy with it and you’re mounting a campaign against it for reasons you’ve expressed MANY times on this and the MOA forum. We get where you stand. I respect your right to feel as you do. Go talk to the MOA board and give us a rest. ( Comment meant with respect)

:18:

• Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, George S. said:

The President is certainly aware of my activity and I imagine that the Board is too. Elected officials value above all else maintaining a tranquil status quo and are uncomfortable with dissension and anything that detracts from the image they wish to project. Left to their own devices they will just carry on hoping that the world will forget issues that they would prefer to not deal with. Keeping issues in the spotlight keeps their feet to the fire. Yes, many have seen my posts too many times for their taste but they are also seen by others for the first time and for them it is news that the club puts BMW first ahead of members when the respective interests diverge. Most fora have an "Ignore" parameter that you can invoke for posters you would rather not hear from. Feel free to use on me.

“Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence.”

― Ovid.

FYI, I just added RadioFlyer to my ignore list.  I was not aware of that capability until I looked at my profile and saw the Ignored Users option.  I read and participate here for reasons other than being subjected to a personal quasi-political campaign of a new member.  Yes, he is entitled to his opinion, but I don't have to read it.  Maybe that content should be moved to Full Throttle.

• Like 3

He's been on my ignore list for a while, here and at BMWMOA.

If you are a member of an organization and think it should go in a different direction, talk to the officers.

Get no action? Get involved, talk to other members and build support for your idea. 

Get enough support, the officers might go along or you can get yourself elected and make the change.

If you don't have support, leave the organization or accept it for what it is. It will not change just to make one individual happy.

Constantly whining that the organization is not what you think it should be will not cause change.

Complaining outside of the organization is especially ineffective.

In the same way, if you don't like BMW's business practices, don't buy their products. That's the only real leverage that consumers have.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 2

Personally I’m tired of the incessant ranting, if he had something positive to contribute to the forum that would be great but so far i haven’t seen much, appears to have joined just to bash the MOA. I thought Mike’s caricature of beating a dead horse was spot on and a polite way of conveying it but evidently the hint hasn’t taken preferring instead to continue the one man crusade/tirade. 

I‘’ve belonged to a number of clubs over the years including MOA, RA (about 10 years each), Mercedes Benz CCA, and Porsche Club of America the largest single marque club in the world for 30 years (bowed out 20 years ago) and have learned a few things about the politics of large organizations. Also am the founder of two regional motorcycle clubs, HMS that organizes the Riding Into History Concours and CADS, a dualsport group that puts on 4 yearly events, all of them at no charge. We have a great group that volunteers countless hours of their time (and:sometimes $) for the sole purpose of showing riders a good time and promoting comraderie. 

At the outset there were 3 tenants when forming CADS,  no officers, no dues, and no rules. It’s a formula that’s worked for 13 years, I found if you can eliminate the money, the egos, and most restrictions, people will put their best foot forward, do the right thing for the group, and have fun doing it.  

Actually not that dissimilar to BMWST, just a bunch of friendly folks with a common bond that enjoy riding and talking motorcycles. It’s why 99% of us are here and I’m all for keeping it that way.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

FYI, I just added RadioFlyer to my ignore list.  I was not aware of that capability until I looked at my profile and saw the Ignored Users option.  I read and participate here for reasons other than being subjected to a personal quasi-political campaign of a new member.  Yes, he is entitled to his opinion, but I don't have to read it.  Maybe that content should be moved to Full Throttle.

35 minutes ago, lkraus said:

He's been on my ignore list for a while, here and at BMWMOA.

If you are a member of an organization and think it should go in a different direction, talk to the officers.

Get no action? Get involved, talk to other members and build support for your idea. 

Get enough support, the officers might go along or you can get yourself elected and make the change.

If you don't have support, leave the organization or accept it for what it is. It will not change just to make one individual happy.

Constantly whining that the organization is not what you think it should be will not cause change.

Complaining outside of the organization is especially ineffective.

In the same way, if you don't like BMW's business practices, don't buy their products. That's the only real leverage that consumers have.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

12 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Personally I’m tired of the incessant ranting, if he had something positive to contribute to the forum that would be great but so far i haven’t seen much, appears to have joined just to bash the MOA. I thought Mike’s caracature of beating a dead horse was spot on and a polite way of conveying it but evidently the hint hasn’t taken preferring instead to continue the one man crusade/tirade. 

............ just a bunch of friendly folks with a common bond that enjoy riding and talking motorcycles. It’s why 99% of us are here and I’m all for keeping it that way.

WOW ... and here I thought it was just me !!   Whew!   Thanks !

The 3 of you have stated it pretty completely. 

:18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
13 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

Most fora have an "Ignore" parameter that you can invoke for posters you would rather not hear from. Feel free to use on me.

Thanks for the ignore feature reminder. Consider it done.

BTW- Look around and read the room. Just maybe it’s YOU.

• Like 2

I'll conclude by saying that the MOA should practice greater transparency such that members and prospective members would know and understand the nature of the organization. Specifically it should publish the BMW Clubs International Council Guidelines to which it adheres and it should make available the agreements and arrangements that it has entered into with the Council and/or BMW AG.

And the good news is that the the FJR will soldier on for 2023 in North America.  Will be available as the ES (Electronic Suspension) model with the dark blue paint color and cost just $200 over '22.:clap:  Oops, forgot to mention that you can still get the great service manual at a fair price.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2022 at 3:26 AM, RandyShields said:

Glad that my suggestion to put me on Ignore was helpful. Note that the OP asked about Pros/Cons of joining the MOA. My posts are spot-on topic. If anything is to be moved to Full Throttle it would be the entire thread since it's not about Motorcycles.

I first joined the MOA in the '70s when I bought my first BMW and attended the national in Bend, OR and had a great time.  Oh to be young again.  Anyway, my question is is MOA membership holding steady at present or is it declining?  I still am an MOA member but I'll probably not renew my membership when it runs out and the reason has mostly to do with age that and the magazine just isn't what I remember and I think it mostly is because it has become and is becoming far more difficult to maintain your own motorcycle and motorcycles are far from the only mode of transportation that is being affected by this phenomena.  I think it is just the way things are going and much of it can be attributed to the internet as well.  Kind of like what has happened to so many things like, for example, newspapers.  I don't like it much but that's the way it is and not much we can do about it.  Anyway, I have fond memories that I visit on occasion.  Especially nice on a sunny afternoon whilst sipping a cool one.:beer:

I should add that my beautiful '93 R1100RSL to me is much like an airhead in many ways and for the most part is just as easy and fun to tinker with as well so all is not lost and I do have the factory service manual but I use the Haynes manual more,  I think.  Can't wait to get the exhaust head pipes back from ceramic coating.

18 hours ago, JamesW said:

And the good news is that the the FJR will soldier on for 2023 in North America.  Will be available as the ES (Electronic Suspension) model with the dark blue paint color and cost just $200 over '22.:clap:  Oops, forgot to mention that you can still get the great service manual at a fair price.

This IS great news!  I thought they had announced the FJR was no more but I spotted it back in the lineup too. 

Thank you Yamaha.   The FJR would be my choice if not for the RT. 

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

I first joined the MOA in the '70s when I bought my first BMW and attended the national in Bend, OR and had a great time.  Oh to be young again.  Anyway, my question is is MOA membership holding steady at present or is it declining?  I still am an MOA member but I'll probably not renew my membership when it runs out and the reason has mostly to do with age that and the magazine just isn't what I remember and I think it mostly is because it has become and is becoming far more difficult to maintain your own motorcycle and motorcycles are far from the only mode of transportation that is being affected by this phenomena.  I think it is just the way things are going and much of it can be attributed to the internet as well.  Kind of like what has happened to so many things like, for example, newspapers.  I don't like it much but that's the way it is and not much we can do about it.  Anyway, I have fond memories that I visit on occasion.  Especially nice on a sunny afternoon whilst sipping a cool one.:beer:

I should add that my beautiful '93 R1100RSL to me is much like an airhead in many ways and for the most part is just as easy and fun to tinker with as well so all is not lost and I do have the factory service manual but I use the Haynes manual more,  I think.  Can't wait to get the exhaust head pipes back from ceramic coating.

Not 100% sure but I believe the total membership is slowly shrinking but the MOA is trying had to attract new members.   I do see in the magazine the listing of the new members and it sure looks like they are being successful attracting members.   The MOA Owners News is not of the last magazines I still get and enjoy.  The older I get the more I enjoy the ride reports and destination information,  along with the new product review.  For me it is just a nice added benefit to membership.   But no doubt the world is changing and bikes are not as simple as they used to be but neither are cars.  BUT .... at least for cars, they are much more maintenance free.  I am old enough to recall the "tune-up" every 15,000 miles with points, plugs, rotor, condenser and sometimes new cap & wires.   Today that stuff lasts over 100K !! 

As of April, 2022 there were 24,176 members. I believe that at one time it was well over 30,000. In the year prior to April 2022 the recruitment drive brought in 1300 new members but 300 left in the same period.

4 hours ago, RTinNC said:

This IS great news!  I thought they had announced the FJR was no more but I spotted it back in the lineup too. 

Thank you Yamaha.   The FJR would be my choice if not for the RT. 

Yeah, I can go along with that.  If I had to choose between my R1100RSL and my FJR it would be rough but I'd go with the Beemer.  I sold my R1150RT when I found the FJR but I still miss big blue.  Had some really great rides on her.  I like the FJR a lot but it has never really fit me and I've tried to improve the fit but I just can't quite do it.  Now my BMW I can ride non-stop between fuel stops but not the FJR.  Just how it is.  Oh and if you think tupperware removal is no fun on an RT wait until you do the same on an FJR and the generation 3 bikes are even worse.  Thank heavens I have a gen2.

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

Yeah, I can go along with that.  If I had to choose between my R1100RSL and my FJR it would be rough but I'd go with the Beemer.  I sold my R1150RT when I found the FJR but I still miss big blue.  Had some really great rides on her.  I like the FJR a lot but it has never really fit me and I've tried to improve the fit but I just can't quite do it.  Now my BMW I can ride non-stop between fuel stops but not the FJR.  Just how it is.  Oh and if you think tupperware removal is no fun on an RT wait until you do the same on an FJR and the generation 3 bikes are even worse.  Thank heavens I have a gen2.

LOL ...  Yeah ... just when I got good at removing the tupperware from my '06 RT they changed it all on the liquid cooled and made it more fragile. 

• 4 months later...

If you are a BMW MOA member the Board of Directors election that is just getting underway is your chance to discern which candidates support your Right to Repair and who will advocate that the MOA do so overtly and actively. Get informed and vote accordingly.

szurszewski
On 11/6/2022 at 7:35 AM, RTinNC said:

IMG_8296.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

I wandered away from this thread, so this reply is really late, but I can't imagine letting some stranger secure anything to my bike...nor, and I'm a really bossy SOB, just pushing in and doing that to someone else's bike. Who does that? 

7 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I wandered away from this thread, so this reply is really late, but I can't imagine letting some stranger secure anything to my bike...nor, and I'm a really bossy SOB, just pushing in and doing that to someone else's bike. Who does that? 

Agree but the bigger point was the member let the other member keep the straps in order for him to be safe.   I would not let anyone strap anything to my bike but if someone offered a strap when I was in need ... heck yeah I would gladly take the gift. 

• Like 1
szurszewski
38 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Agree but the bigger point was the member let the other member keep the straps in order for him to be safe.   I would not let anyone strap anything to my bike but if someone offered a strap when I was in need ... heck yeah I would gladly take the gift. 

I certainly wasn't intending to downplay the gift of the staps - but it did make me laugh to picture the situation! I have no idea what any of the people looked like, but it's hard, for me anyway, not to imagine the "strapper" as the stereotypical old curmudgeonly BMW owner grumpily reconfiguring the gear.

I don't have anything against the MOA or old curmudgeons (working that way myself every day - I know this because my wife tells me literally that regularly!), and have been the recipient of their generous nature many times, but the hubris involved in this situation is what makes me smile. :)  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I certainly wasn't intending to downplay the gift of the staps - but it did make me laugh to picture the situation! I have no idea what any of the people looked like, but it's hard, for me anyway, not to imagine the "strapper" as the stereotypical old curmudgeonly BMW owner grumpily reconfiguring the gear.

I don't have anything against the MOA or old curmudgeons (working that way myself every day - I know this because my wife tells me literally that regularly!), and have been the recipient of their generous nature many times, but the hubris involved in this situation is what makes me smile. :)  

No kidding.  And I am as OCD and anal as they come .... like I would let anyone strap something onto my bike and I can imaging the image you described !!  YIKES !