IGNORED

Moto officers....what are "Lock downs" and why is it so important to moto police

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

I saw the new R1200 RTP in another thread and it prompted some questions I have been meaning to ask for a long time. The questions arose after a stop that we made once near Knoxville, TN at a hotel. We stopped to check the availabity of rooms there. Outside were several other riders hanging out, one of which was a moto-officer from somewhere in civilian clothing on vacation with his personal bike. They saw us pull up, get off the bikes and waited until we had removed our helmets to make a statement about our BMW's. The moto-officer said "BMW's huh, I hate those things. They brought us those on the range and I couldn't even do a lock-down on one". We politely nodded our heads and moved on about our business of course. This incident did however leave me with some questions.

1. What is a "lock down”?

2. Why is it so important to moto-police work?

3. Why would it be hard to achieve this on an RTP vs. any other brand?

Shawn

"I couldn't even do a lock-down on one".

Or perhaps the officer couldn't figure how to engage the RTP kick-stand lock. grin.gif

FlyingFinn

A U-turn with steering turned all the way to the "lock"?

If that's what he meant by "lock-down", I'm not impressed by his riding skills. Then again, maybe he had problems with the ignition key and couldn't lock down the motorcycle...?? tongue.gif

--

Mikko

Well I know the Kawasaki riding officers are quite proficient at power slides

or rear lock up.

I don't know if this is what he ment but I have seen many motors torture Kawis with full throttle massive over richening take offs resulting in huge exhaust backfire explosions then straight into a full rear wheel lock leaving 100 feet of tire on the road.

A quick check at AMA had lock down as a locking center stand so that the bike cant be kocked off or rolled away.

Maybe that is what he ment???

steve.foote

Maybe he did't learn the BMW locking sidestand secret:

Shift into first gear, roll bike forward until resistance is felt, deploy sidestand.

Hmmm, may be too complicated for a Harley rider. tongue.gif

(Oh boy, I can see the hate-mail coming now grin.gif)

Lone_RT_rider
Maybe he did't learn the BMW locking sidestand secret:

Shift into first gear, roll bike forward until resistance is felt, deploy sidestand.

Hmmm, may be too complicated for a Harley rider. tongue.gif

(Oh boy, I can see the hate-mail coming now grin.gif)

STEVE!!!.....you BUBBA you!

I specifically kept the Harley references out of this thread. Of course, you do ride a GS...so.... tongue.gifeek.gif

Shawn

steveknapp

Knock bike backwards, BMW's shaft drive has enough driveline lash to allow the sidestand to retract. :P

Lone_RT_rider

What the heck is this? The Steve and Steve show? To all that have tried to give me serious answer...thanks. smile.gif

Shawn

Since not one of our plethora of past and current cops has responded, I'm gonna guess the guy was just angry that his boss didn't buy him a harley and made something up to hate about the bmw.

pete

I have never heard of a "lock-down" in nine years of moto-officer duty. Maybe it is a local or regional colloquialism.

In reference to custodial LEO's, a lock-down typically means all inmates remain in the cells due to some jail emergency.

I've been a police officer for over 20 years and a motor officer for the last 8 years and I've also never heard the term "lock down" used in realtion to motorcycling or police work.

The moto-officer said "BMW's huh, I hate those things. They brought us those on the range and I couldn't even do a lock-down on one". . . . This incident did however leave me with some questions.

1. What is a "lock down”?

2. Why is it so important to moto-police work?

3. Why would it be hard to achieve this on an RTP vs. any other brand?

Shawn

Here's my question: What made Mr. moto-officer into such an asshat? (Where did I come up with that word?) I can't imagine ever reacting to another rider's bike that way, regardless of whether I dug it or not.

Whatever the heck a "lock-down" is... I get the distinct impression that its probably NOT something I want done with or on my RT... So then Mr moto man... go on assuming the superiority of your "lock down capable bike and I'll keep enoying the hell out of my my RT. smirk.gif

In reference to custodial LEO's, a lock-down typically means all inmates remain in the cells due to some jail emergency.

Bob. That's it. I've never been able to Lock Down my RT ether, Its always excapeing with me on it

steveknapp

asshat? (Where did I come up with that word?)

Advrider? They even have an this:

16878235-Ti.gif

Oh, and to keep Shawn happy (friggn asshat). I've got no idea what it is, nor does anyone here it seems. But whatever it was, the guy didn't think the RT was as good at it as his H-D at this manuver.

Some terms or nicknames are just local to an area or even a team. If you were really curious, you should have asked the rider. Bold would have been to do said manuver, w/ no practice, on your RT, the spirit of Ray lives on. "Ex...excuse me...there is nothing wrong with the action in this piano."

Shawn, maybe he just does not like German bikes... He probably hates Japanese cars as well. Not very nice of him to rip your bikes, to your face blush.gif

But whatever it was, the guy didn't think the RT was as good at it as his H-D at this manuver.

O.K., this is starting to make some sense now. Maybe the officer really meant to say "break-down"?

Tom (16878235-Ti.gif)

MachineJoe
I can't imagine ever reacting to another rider's bike that way, regardless of whether I dug it or not.

Mike ...... well put thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Advrider? They even have an this:

My little brother has been calling me asshat since long before AdvRider existed.

Aluminum_Butt

[Continuing the Asshat Hijack]

I got curious...

From Wikipedia:

The word is popular in many online communities, serving as a more palatable version of its antecedent. According to Google's Usenet statistics, the word only saw a token appearance every day or two starting in July, 1999, but following a slow rise in 2002, it entered popular usage in May, 2003.

I too am a Motor Officer in Delaware. I ride a HD for patrol duty and a BMW for personal use. I've never heard of a Lock Down either. This guy seems like a real A$$ and is the reason why everybody hates us. (That and the fact that we write so many traffic tickets! smile.gif He seems like the typical (I hate change) old school Harley Guy that has no idea what he's missing. I've tried to get our Department to convert to the R12RT-P without any luck. Anyway, sorry he had such a bad attitude and felt compelled to voice his unsolicited opinions to you. Enjoy the bike, its a great ride!

ShovelStrokeEd

Mark,

You might find a different attitude towards motor officers and LEOs in general here. Many of us have nothing but the highest regard and respect for LEOs and the job they do. We would appreciate it if you could find another vehicle to point the laser at but are realistic about the chances of that happening. The guys on the job in my town are aggressive about enforcement and I deeply appreciate it, never failing to wave as I go by. Quite often, this has payed off for me as they magically seem to find it necessary to raise the gun and check something on it as I approach. Candy red Blackbird with Givi bags, rider in silver jacket with bright yellow helmet makes me somewhat unique among the bare headed, loud piped, cruiser that is the norm around here.

Maybe he meant to lock down his brakes so he could go back & pick up the parts falling off his Harley???? OOps, I didn't just say that. My wife rides a Harley and we go back & forth with those jokes. Just kidding though!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard of it. Lock Down? Are you sure they were Police? I know that the Birmingham Motorscouts hated them. They ride Goldwings now. I do not understand it at all! Montgomery P.D. and Montgomery County have them. I hear they are really enjoying them. I also hear someone got introble after they were purchesed when the bill came. They have bought more though. Vestavia Hills Police Department, AL also has older RT-P's. They recently bought a Goldwing and unfortunatly the officer was hurt pretty bad and the bike totalled.

As for the comments made I am sorry you had that happen. I would have put him in his place and probally let him know what a A$$ hat he was if I were with you!

Was it one of these guys?

tv_chips.small.jpg

Those dudes are probably responsible for my early passion for riding...always getting the girls, and having the incredible ability to ride side by side without even a mm of lateral movement.

Is a lock down a good thing?

I'm confussed.

Ponch? John?

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of that either. must not be that big of a deal, after 62,000 miles, my RTP does exactly what i want it to do.

motorman587

Never heard of that either, and I am an instructor and an adjunct police motor instructor for IPTM in Jacksonville, Florida. Sorry for the negitive run in, most motor cops with talk bikes.

Since nobody knows what a "lock-down" is (or even heard it for that matter), it's probably safe to say that subject off-duty officer doesn't know what it is either. That's why he couldn't do one. He just neglected to mention that he couldn't do a lock-down on any other kind of bike either. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
The moto-officer said "BMW's huh, I hate those things. They brought us those on the range and I couldn't even do a lock-down on one".

Hey Shawn-why worry yourself about what some obviously incompetent (and possibly racist) motorsicklin neophyte thinks about yer ride, anyway? It takes a tremendous amount of deliberation and research before one realizes just how superior BMWs are to those other brands, so count yourself among the intelligent elite who were wise enough to go with a bike that blows most other sickles outta the water with its technology and ergos.

To command such a machine down any road is a marvelous statement on your sense of pride, accomplishment and skill.

Ride on wit yer bad seff and leave the pee-n-moaners in the exhaust fumes, where they belong. clap.gif

Could it be the art of locking the rear and skiding it into someone you are chasing to knock them down to the ground? I have an e-mail off to a retired MSP Moto training buddy of mine who may know for sure. Even if he is a Harley guy. grin.gif One hell of a rider!!!

Archived