IGNORED

2022 Ramona Days is on! March 25th and 26th

graydude

Well why not?  For the newbies, Ramona Days is an annual event show casing all the best roads San Diego county has to offer.  This 225 mile ride will be the reverse of last years ride so it will look like a new ride unless you ride backwards.  Then it will be the same.  Homebase will be the newly renovated Ramona Valley Inn.  Single rooms will go fore $83.15 including taxes and double beds will go for $99.35 including taxes.  I have a block of ten rooms.  Seven of which are double beds.  Call the hotel directly at 760-789-6433 and ask for Elien, (he's a guy) or reference me, Todd Johnson.

UPDATE : NEW ROOM RATES ...

Single rooms will go for $149.00 and double beds will go for $159.00 including taxes.  There are six single Kings and four double beds available at this time.  I would not waste any time..  Call the hotel directly at 760-789-6433 and  reference me, Todd Johnson.

Most folks arrive Friday and stay until Sunday.  We had a great time for dinner last year at "The Barn" on Saturday night and I plan on having dinner there again.  It's knee walking distance to the hotel so it's perfect.  Side stands will be up at 9:00 AM on Saturday.  Lunch TBD along the route.

All riders and bikes are welcome.  This will be a great time to meet new friends and make fun of your old ones.

2021-03-26 20.56.19.jpg

• Like 2
  • chrisolson pinned and featured this topic

Tried to book but the girl taking reservations was quoting different prices for our "group rate" that put me at $230 for the two nights in a single room.  She also said that they don't have anyone that works there with the name "Elien" when I asked about the different rates quoted.  Going to try again tomorrow with Manager who is not in today.

Some confusion on rooms rates.  Apparently not everyone who answers the phone is authorized to give discounts.  I'll be talking to the manager tomorrow, Tuesday, so check back for room price updates.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, BrianT said:

Tried to book but the girl taking reservations was quoting different prices for our "group rate" that put me at $230 for the two nights in a single room.  She also said that they don't have anyone that works there with the name "Elien" when I asked about the different rates quoted.  Going to try again tomorrow with Manager who is not in today.

Did you tell her you were a RETIRED cop, so it wasn't you who gave her the ticket last month?

New information from Todd:

Single rooms will go for $149.00 and double beds will go for $159.00 including taxes.  There are six single Kings and four double beds available at this time.  I would not waste any time..  Call the hotel directly at 760-789-6433 and  reference me, Todd Johnson.

4 hours ago, chrisolson said:

So even higher than I was quoted on the phone the day before, which was already higher than the group rate Todd arranged?  Or is that for two nights?  If that's per night I'm thinking I'm out on mere principal.  Bad way of doing business.

15 hours ago, chrisolson said:

I booked through Hotels.com and it totaled $193.08 for two nights.

1 hour ago, Rob Nowell said:

I booked through Hotels.com and it totaled $193.08 for two nights.

Price raised there too.  Just checked after seeing your post.  It's showing now as $315 for two nights without tax.

The hotel screwed us. They never mentioned a wedding filling up most of the hotel when I initially called and received rates. Then the manager says the person he hired to work the desk was not authorized to give discounted rates. Maybe the cleaning lady is. I don’t know.  I spoke with the manager yesterday and he was un moved by what’s happened.  Said he would give me all seven rooms for $129 if I paid for them all right then. He told me after the renovation that he had to make some money. Apparently on our backs. Bump suggested an alternative location. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Stay tuned. 

10 minutes ago, graydude said:

He told me after the renovation that he had to make some money. Apparently on our backs. Bump suggested an alternative location. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Stay tuned. 

Thanks for updating us.  And thanks for looking for alternatives.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, graydude said:

The hotel screwed us. They never mentioned a wedding filling up most of the hotel when I initially called and received rates. Then the manager says the person he hired to work the desk was not authorized to give discounted rates. Maybe the cleaning lady is. I don’t know.  I spoke with the manager yesterday and he was un moved by what’s happened.  Said he would give me all seven rooms for $129 if I paid for them all right then. He told me after the renovation that he had to make some money. Apparently on our backs. Bump suggested an alternative location. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Stay tuned. 

Wedding?  Hell, I'm crashing that f*ckin' thing!

• Haha 1

Bottom line guys is we are stuck with the Ramona Inn. I checked out an alternative today that checks all our boxes but does not have any rooms for Saturday. We will move Ramona Days to that venue for 2023. However, we are out of options for 2022. Ramona Inn or nothing. I will be at the Ramona Inn come  rain or shine. If you are interested, call the hotel ASAP and buddy up with someone to lower costs. We will not be denied!

16 hours ago, graydude said:

Bottom line guys is we are stuck with the Ramona Inn. I checked out an alternative today that checks all our boxes but does not have any rooms for Saturday. We will move Ramona Days to that venue for 2023. However, we are out of options for 2022. Ramona Inn or nothing. I will be at the Ramona Inn come  rain or shine. If you are interested, call the hotel ASAP and buddy up with someone to lower costs. We will not be denied!

Esco could be a viable option...

The peer pressure is almost getting me overwhelmed with anxiety……….😎

The Hwy up thru Idylwild is a must, and Mesa Grande along with Old Julian Hwy are a couple of don’t miss roads.
Last year Dr Ed took us out on some great roads, but don’t quite remember what they were……….you guys happen to recall any of that stuff?

Workin on it, but as you know most of this route planning is “make it up as we go”stuff…….always an adventure!

Don J

• Like 2
On 1/31/2022 at 5:04 PM, mrduck said:

The peer pressure is almost getting me overwhelmed with anxiety……….😎

The Hwy up thru Idylwild is a must, and Mesa Grande along with Old Julian Hwy are a couple of don’t miss roads.
Last year Dr Ed took us out on some great roads, but don’t quite remember what they were……….you guys happen to recall any of that stuff?

Workin on it, but as you know most of this route planning is “make it up as we go”stuff…….always an adventure!

Don J

OK got the route to get down there done ………plan on meeting in Banning around 10:00…….and if you ask really  nicely, Mr Groanup may share a GPS file if ya want….

Don J

On 2/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, hedstrom said:

IN

Don,

Please let me know your planned ride. Will try to pair up with you and the rest of the gang. 
Hedstrom

OK !

Don J

Dennis Andress
14 minutes ago, mrduck said:

OK got the route to get down there done ………plan on meeting in Banning around 10:00…….and if you ask really  nicely, Mr Groanup may share a GPS file if ya want….

Don J

Banning? Geezzz, it might be 20 years!

image.thumb.png.852b6b91b043a4596449265a00d1f806.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrduck said:

Don J

I haven't tried this before.

You'll need to import the file into basecamp.

Hope it works...

ihop to Ramona Valley inn.gpx

Thinking about taking the Long way down to Ramona.

ACH, Wrightwood, Crestline, Big Bear, Banning, Idyllwild, Anza, Warner Springs, Santa Ysabel to Ramona. Any interest in  going this way? Or, just slab it down I15.

11 hours ago, LBump said:

Thinking about taking the Long way down to Ramona.

ACH, Wrightwood, Crestline, Big Bear, Banning, Idyllwild, Anza, Warner Springs, Santa Ysabel to Ramona. Any interest in  going this way? Or, just slab it down I15.

I've looked at that route. You would be looking at a loong day. 8 hours of road time, plus stops.

Now, if you want to cut the whole Big Bear loop out, I'm game...

Something like this...

https://goo.gl/maps/ZYVj1nhn3LpD6tyo6

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Groanup said:

I've looked at that route. You would be looking at a loong day. 8 hours of road time, plus stops.

Something like this...

I rode Menifee > Hemet > Idyllwild > Banning > San Berno last week, and the roads were in good condition.  No Big Bear, of course...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Groanup said:

Something like this...

Yep, It would be longer especially with all the mountains.

Here are a couple of iterations of yours with little fwy.

I like the idea of going over to Wrightwood  for a breakfast stop at Grizzly Cafe.

Less Mountains  6:20hr  270 miles

More Mountains  6:45hr  280 miles

Less Mountains More Fwy  6hr 255 miles

16 minutes ago, LBump said:

Yep, It would be longer especially with all the mountains.

Here are a couple of iterations of yours with little fwy.

I like the idea of going over to Wrightwood  for a breakfast stop at Grizzly Cafe.

Less Mountains  6:20hr  270 miles

More Mountains  6:45hr  280 miles

Less Mountains More Fwy  6hr 255 miles

The potential problem with those three routes is ACH (2). It is closed at Islip, and will probably remain closed until April, but ya never know. It may open, but last year I got fooled by posts saying ACH was open when it wasn't.

Aside from that, I like either of the first two routes. I also like the Grizz for breakfast. They open at 8 am.

:stir:  Oooooor, meet up in upland, then take 18 or 330 up and 38 down and then over to idyllwild…..

like don said, 2 is questionable, but I’ve seen gmr/grr open up before ach. I actually did that one year on the way to Temecula, and then headed to big bear and idyllwiid. It was a memorable day, but being solo I was able to cut some time. No dilly dallying. 

I recall mr duck mentioning one of our old favorites fairly recently:   126, 150, 33 and Hudson ranch rd. It will be much cooler this week.  Just saying.  :whistle:

On 2/13/2022 at 12:55 PM, Groanup said:

The potential problem with those three routes is ACH (2). It is closed at Islip, and will probably remain closed until April, but ya never know. It may open, but last year I got fooled by posts saying ACH was open when it wasn't.

Aside from that, I like either of the first two routes. I also like the Grizz for breakfast. They open at 8 am.

Dang.. I forgot about the Winter shit on the road... 

Will touch base as it get closer.  :5188:

• Like 1

Oh btw, one of the outstanding roads Ed had us on last yr was oak glen rd.  If you come off the mt on 38 and turn on Bryant you can catch oak glen which will take you down to cherry valley, which is only 15min from banning. 

31 minutes ago, longjohn said:

Oh btw, one of the outstanding roads Ed had us on last yr was oak glen rd.  If you come off the mt on 38 and turn on Bryant you can catch oak glen which will take you down to cherry valley, which is only 15min from banning. 

You can also catch Oak Glen from Interstate 10 if you want to skip 38, and either rejoin I10 into Banning, or take surface streets from Beaumont.

20 hours ago, Groanup said:

if you want to skip 38, 

I get out there so infrequently that anytime I can incorporate 38 into a ride, it’s a no brainer. 

• 3 weeks later...
Dennis Andress

I hesitate because so little has gone as planned the last year or so. Regardless, I made hotel reservations today! See ya'll in Banning.  

B719DB12-28D8-4FA7-99A3-B04830F2DEC6.thumb.jpeg.299f0cc03741094693bdb3a324bdbbf8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
Dennis Andress

Here I am, assuming (ass u me) that we are meeting at the IHop in Banning on Friday...

Groanup's route takes us within 20 miles of the Glass Elevator, anyone interested in seeing the Borrego Springs at its finest?

image.thumb.png.17cf048fdf4525e82bb07019c6cc82e1.png

image.thumb.png.cee40d16d613ab7ed2674fd1a2e80313.png

28 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Here I am, assuming (ass u me) that we are meeting at the IHop in Banning on Friday...

Groanup's route takes us within 20 miles of the Glass Elevator, anyone interested in seeing the Borrego Springs at its finest?

image.thumb.png.17cf048fdf4525e82bb07019c6cc82e1.png

image.thumb.png.cee40d16d613ab7ed2674fd1a2e80313.png

It's very likely that we will be taking the elevator into Borrego Springs on Saturday.

Dennis Andress
56 minutes ago, Groanup said:

It's very likely that we will be taking the elevator into Borrego Springs on Saturday.

I’ll just sit here and be quiet…

2647B27F-4105-442B-BDC3-60EAE4686655.jpeg