IGNORED

Trans-Fla Rally March 5 and 6 2022

roadscholar

I know there's limited interest in offroad riding here but just in case there is some, this is a fun event. The route is probably 65-70% dirt and most (nearly all) of that is on hardpacked and/or graded and maintained dirt roads. This year it traverses the N Fla peninsula, part way across the panhandle to near Monticello, and into Thomasville Georgia thru some scenic and little traveled territory. The next day takes a different route back to Palatka. It's scheduled during the 1st weekend of Daytona bike week to be convenient for people headed south from the great white North. I think it's the 10th anniversary this year even though some years have had two of them (Spring and Fall). We use the old school method of navigation, roll charts but if you don't have a holder there's always a group that will let you tag along. Last year we noticed something innovative, one guy took pictures of the roll chart with his phone and used that to navigate : )

So get off your duff and come on down (or up), you don't have to be great or even good at offroad riding, it's made for big adventure bikes and less experienced riders to enjoy the scenery and fun. Here is the official announcement on Advrider, you can sign up there or here if interested.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/trans-florida-aventure-rally-2022.1533745/

1138CFB6-E8E9-4D12-966A-EA6CF62F9DE1.thumb.jpeg.497d44be19893485cddf69d61bc0e844.jpeg

24435A76-2912-49E4-929C-985D7F49E2CA.thumb.jpeg.49511319e6d448f05299e97dfbb3cd06.jpeg

4E8E0309-A226-4121-BD52-8AEAAB037A11.thumb.jpeg.f5c91177bc334a511cd2d21824625e1e.jpeg

• Like 3

@roadscholar reading your post and the announcement on ADV makes me think that a pavement version, run parallel, could also be interesting. Of course not all pavement is created equally. Some can be rather narrow and bumpy or broken up. 

7 hours ago, Bernie said:

@roadscholar reading your post and the announcement on ADV makes me think that a pavement version, run parallel, could also be interesting. Of course not all pavement is created equally. Some can be rather narrow and bumpy or broken up. 

That is a great idea Bernie and one we've considered in the past, requests have been made on more than one occasion. There are a few logistical problems doing it as a parallel event although possibly solvable depending on a few things. 

One issue is numbers, the event typically draws 75-125 riders already depending on the weather forecast that weekend. It's tough to find decent lodging for that many in some of the small burgs we end up in i.e. Cedar Key, Yankeetown, Homassassa, and Steinhatchee. It also gets overly crowded at the lunch stops sometimes overwhelming the recommended (good home cookin) restaurants located in very small towns. And we keep getting more noobs each time through word of mouth, adding more with a paved route (potentially a lot more) could create havoc and likely diminish the fun factor not to mention headaches for the organizers. Last Fall was a new destination in Monticello for several reasons, one I was tired of the same old routes we've been rotating even with some mods and two because there were a couple average motels fairly close by so we didn't have to coordinate with them just notified the participants where they were. Going to Thomasville this time also alleviates those issues and adds some pluses, there are a number of decent quality motels where the route ends and starts plus there are some very scenic roads in the area. For the most part I just flipped the routes to Monticello and back (with some changes) and added another 25-30 miles on to T-ville. 

Another thing is TSD (time, speed, distance), adding those miles results in 250 miles for day one and 230 for day two and at an average speed of 30mph (that's generous) is 8+/- hours in the saddle not counting lunch, gas, getting lost, repairing your tire/bike, or crashing : ) For the first time we're eliminating the need to stop for verification photos and even eliminating the contest aspect to concentrate solely on the ride vs playing the game, we'll see what the consensus is.

On a somewhat parallel street ride the average speed might be nearly double that requiring half the time so would need to be a good bit longer to compensate. Again, not out of the realm of possibility, just throwing out some of the issues involved. We could certainly discuss the possibilities not unlike the days of old when we used to figure out all the routes for the BMW club rides. :thumbsup:

• Thinking 1

Here's a video a guy posted in the Sandbox (Adv) of the western and central Panhandle, there are less people out there although similar to some of the roads we'll be on but without the canopy oaks or sandy two track (maybe a little). Some good commentary and example of solo adventure touring.

Same fellow posted his day 2 video, kind of long at 28 min, at about the 20 min mark he gets to some of the roads east of Monticello I used on T-F for some reference. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...