IGNORED

RFID for motorcycle?

OlGeezer

Not a tech guy here so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think rfid is a very short range device, as in inches. It would help to identify the bike but not locate it. But then that's what the VIN is for.

I have heard of using apple tags for this, but I've also heard that thieves are getting wise to this since you can locate an apple tag with any iphone. They just open the app and see if a tag is on the bike.

There are GPS trackers, but I know nothing about them.

My bike has an RFID for the toll roads. I doubt that they are going to tell me anything if it is stolen. But it would take that kind of network to make it work as a theft detection device.

My own thought would be to get a burner phone and wire it to the bike in a very secure place and track the bike through the phone. It seems like it would be a cheap tracking system.

Not that I would ever do this:classic_biggrin: Randy but if you ride on the right hand edge of the lane in Austin it won't pick you up.  If you go right down the center strip in Houston it won't pick you up....so I'm told.

I've been thinking about the apple device to keep in my pocket for when I am on the bike, boat, or other things so the wife can find me if necessary.  I'll start a different thread for that subject.

20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Not that I would ever do this:classic_biggrin: Randy but if you ride on the right hand edge of the lane in Austin it won't pick you up.  If you go right down the center strip in Houston it won't pick you up....so I'm told.

I've been thinking about the apple device to keep in my pocket for when I am on the bike, boat, or other things so the wife can find me if necessary.  I'll start a different thread for that subject.

Actually the powers that be make use of the license plate camera if the RFID doesn't pick up. It's hard to cheat the government. They are experts in that field;)