IGNORED

Need a new rechargeable LED headlight,

randy

my trusty headlight has died.  I use it when working on my bike.  Has anyone purchased a good LED headlight, say in the last 4 months?

Needs

LED say around 1,000+ Lumens

Headlight must move up and down

Headlight must stay in position (my old one did this great)

Rechargeable system has built in over charge safety (so many are easily overcharged and easily damaged)

three straps for mounting on head, ( for me the two straps never worked well especially if I get sweaty)

Mostly used in my garage to work on bike, (but I keep on bike for emergencies)

rechargeable, ideally a 3 battery unit (for longer use) but if all other needs filled 2 batteries is fine

Wow now that I read my needs, I am pretty picky :-)

anyway if you have a good suggestion please let me know, thanks

I've got this gem from partsmaster

2k lumens on turbo

I dunno the price, but I'd think kinda pricey.  My wife got it for me via my sister in law that works for partsmaster

21062010.png

• Like 1

I just got a new one from nitecore. It’s great. I think Mitch told me about Nitecore a few years ago. Their products have served me well. They are expensive. 

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of Fenix products.  Their flashlights are small but mighty.  They also have a wide selection of headlamps, ranging from sale prices of $35 (240 lumens) to $220 (2500 lumens).  I have a rechargeable unit that is not made anymore, but is comparable to their 950 lumen headlamp.  Good luck with your search.

Headlamps - Super Bright LED Headlamps - Fenix Headlamps (fenixlighting.com)

• Like 1

Ooh, a flashlight thread!   :lurk:

I will be taking notes.   All I use it the standard Energizer brand that runs on AAA batteries.   Maybe I need to upgrade.  :dontknow:

For one of my Christmas goodies from work, I selected a portable one that has a hook and magnets - for putting light where you head (light) cannot aim.  I have not had the opportunity to review it yet.

Screenshot 2022-01-12 171033.png

William, the difference between your AAA flashlight and even a small LED with 1000 or more lumens is like the online comparisons of weak headlights and any Clearwater LED auxiliary light.  When I first did a comparison a couple of years ago in my back yard the small LED flashlight Fenix (PD35) lit up the yard like daytime.  They are more expensive, but definitely worth it.

The PD35 that I have has 1700 lumens and is $79.  There are some small ones this size that have double that level of lumens.  You can find lots of reviews and videos on line for these and other brands.  My D cell flashlights have all been thrown out.

Fenix PD35 V3.0 Everyday Carry Flashlight - 1700 Lumens - Fenix (fenix-store.com)

• Plus 1 1

Thanks RandyShields, I did click your link (along with others) and will be shopping soon.  I will let this thread play out a little.   I do not recall the lumens on my headset, but it could be in the 300 - 600 range.   I am also tired of those AAA batteries, so a rechargeable unit may be in order.

I've been using a WOWTAC A2S for the past couple years.
Press once to turn on, it starts in whichever of these three main modes was used last:

• Low: 24 lumens (4 days) - bright enough to walk a dark trail.
  • Medium: 126 lumens (14.7 hours) - the most useful mode for detail work at arms length.
  • High: 420 lumens (4.5 hours) - very bright, used mostly to find small parts that flew across the garage floor.

Press and hold to change between these modes.

From off, press and hold for Firefly mode, 0.3 lumens (59 days ). Perfect for reading without burning out your retinas, or searching through your pack in the middle of the night without destroying night vision.

Press twice rapidly at any time for Turbo mode, 1050 lumens (2.7 hours). Lights up a wide area a few hundred yards away, would work as a headlight replacement if there is no oncoming traffic to blind.

I've never tested the battery life, but YouTube and other reviews say the times listed above are conservative.

Comfortable headband can be worn for hours..  The 18650 battery connects to a USB-C cable for charging.

Strong aluminum case, maybe a bit heavy for backpacking, but great for general use.

Reasonable price. Thinking of getting a second one, wife keeps borrowing it for picking out quilting mistakes and searching for cobwebs.

Having a head lamp which also emits red or green rather than white is also handy.  Easier on the eyes and easier on your fellow campers if you're in a rally/crowd camping situation.  There are plenty out there.

• SLONIK 1000 Lumen Rechargeable CREE LED Headlamp w/ 2200 mAh Battery - Lightweight, Durable, Waterproof and Dustproof Headlight - Xtreme Bright 600 ft Beam - Camping and Hiking Gear
Roll over image to zoom in
  • 416J-H-mR9L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51bdSspHmIL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51Zyr4zqkfL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 61yiHduY3FL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 618nzUXvG1L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51+O5JmdotL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51dFAtClDZL.SS40_BG85,85,85_BR-120_PKdp-play-icon-overlay__.jpgVIDEO

SLONIK 1000 Lumen Rechargeable CREE LED Headlamp w/ 2200 mAh 

Customers who viewed this item also viewed

• 91cKz+kz4iL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in
  • 416J-H-mR9L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51bdSspHmIL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51Zyr4zqkfL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 61yiHduY3FL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 618nzUXvG1L._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51+O5JmdotL._AC_US40_.jpg
  • 51dFAtClDZL.SS40_BG85,85,85_BR-120_PKdp-play-icon-overlay__.jpgVIDEO

SLONIK 1000 Lumen Rechargeable CREE LED Headlamp w/ 2200 mAh Battery - Lightweight, Durable, Waterproof and Dustproof Headlight - Xtreme Bright 600 ft Beam - Camping and Hiking Gear

$34.99$34.99

image.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a little late to this thread but let me throw my 2¢ in…..

Personally I use Nitecore but what ever brand you choose I suggest the following features.

Single conventional 18650  battery with charge protection circuitry.

A voltage indicator so you know when it’s time to recharge or change battery. 
Have a second battery on hand so you never have down time (waiting for battery to charge). 

I already have 2 nitecore headlamps but if I was in the market for a headlamp I would be buying this https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Product/hc65v2

Y'all cost me money with this thread...

I needed a hands free light to work under the car I am restoring. 

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hm65r-t-trail-running-led-headlamp/

This exceeded my expectations! I wanted rechargeable only. This has both a spot and a flood light. Actually too bright to run on high in tight areas, but nice to have the extra power for certain things. I went with this one partly due to the adjustable headgear. Glad I did, works better than I thought it would. While stretchy straps work....they don't stay just right. This is stretchy AND you adjust tension just by turning the wheel. Wicked bright spotlight for outside and the flood is far more light than you would expect from a headband lamp. All Good. 

I also bought a flashlight that I like....but the main reason is that it also uses the 18650 battery so I always have a battery ready to go....

Notice in the link there is a 20% coupon. This makes these cheaper than buying online from non direct sources!

Batteries....I also bought 3 extra 18650 batteries. Bought the ones with the built in USB charger IN the  battery! Just plug a micro usb in the battery and walk away.