IGNORED

First time clutch issue, no engagement then OK

2015 Blue RT

I've been riding pretty much daily since the end of November when I got the bike (88K). This morning was another cold one,  about 38 F. Yesterday was similar weather. Started up OK and rolled back out of garage.

When I went to put it in gear,  the clutch lever had next to no resistance. It stalled going into  gear. I was able to get going and after maybe 5 minutes of riding it began working normally. It was OK upon arrival as well. My commute is open road so little shifting. I'm at work now so I cant take anything apart.

I read thru 4 pages of clutch posts here but didn't see anything similar. Bike now has 89K and other than this has worked fine. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

29 minutes ago, 2015 Black RT said:

I've been riding pretty much daily since the end of November when I got the bike (88K). This morning was another cold one,  about 38 F. Yesterday was similar weather. Started up OK and rolled back out of garage.

When I went to put it in gear,  the clutch lever had next to no resistance. It stalled going into  gear. I was able to get going and after maybe 5 minutes of riding it began working normally. It was OK upon arrival as well. My commute is open road so little shifting. I'm at work now so I cant take anything apart.

I read thru 4 pages of clutch posts here but didn't see anything similar. Bike now has 89K and other than this has worked fine. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

Afternoon 2015 Black RT

How cold?  Maybe you have some moisture in your clutch hydraulic fluid that froze.

You might try a clutch fluid bleed & refresh as a first step. 

• Plus 1 1

Thanks. Temp was above freezing & it is garage kept- I think air temp in there was around 45 F when I rolled it out. Ride home was fine, so I'll wait & see if it happens again before doing anything.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I watched a few videos & read some forum posts. Looking at known data, as far as I can tell, the issue occurred due to the bike being on the side stand when I roll it out of the garage in the early morning. Apparently this can allow some air into the line, which then works its way out over time. The bike is parked in my garage and also at work on the center stand. The above diagnosis fits my symptoms 100%.

I got some 10W mineral oil brake fluid (same specs as Magura) and topped it up today. I won't be using the bike again until the morning, but will update after that if the problem persists.

21 minutes ago, 2015 Black RT said:

As an update, I watched a few videos & read some forum posts. Looking at known data, as far as I can tell, the issue occurred due to the bike being on the side stand when I roll it out of the garage in the early morning. Apparently this can allow some air into the line, which then works its way out over time. The bike is parked in my garage and also at work on the center stand. The above diagnosis fits my symptoms 100%.

I got some 10W mineral oil brake fluid (same specs as Magura) and topped it up today. I won't be using the bike again until the morning, but will update after that if the problem persists.

Evening 2015 Black RT

I hope you didn't fill it too full (not above the full mark) as unlike the brakes the clutch fluid rises in the reservoir as the clutch wears. If  the reservoir gets  too full as the clutch wears it can prevent full clutch engagement (then slipping) due to trapped residual pressure.   

Full mark????? I didn't see anything when I topped it up, and there is of course no sight glass. No fluid was pushed out when I put the cap back on. To be sure, I siphoned some out again just now & if there is a full mark inside the reservoir, I can't see it. I refilled to the prior level, about 3/16~1/4" below the rim. Clutch felt normal when I pulled it.

Sounds like a substandard design. I've used cars and bikes for decades with hydraulic clutches and have never heard of such a problem. I even converted a BMW E34 wagon from auto to manual (as I recall I used a custom master cylinder) and the clutch worked fine.

EDIT

With the help of my Haynes online manual, I found the mark- it is on the front wall of the reservoir towards the center of the bike side. I was a ways below it, so I added a few drops to where I was still below it.

Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE

Rode this morning in 28 degree weather and the clutch worked OK the entire trip.