IGNORED

R18 Tire Change

Bumwah

A friend of mine, who owns a 1st Series R18 asked me, how do you change the tires without a center stand?  I thought, support the bike by putting it across the motorcycle lift, support the frame and motor and lift it high enough to pull the axle and drop the tire. He wasn’t sure that he could do this without damage.

So… I guess I’d like to open it up for discussion and gain a little knowledge. It can’t be that tough… And da,  Happy New Year to all my sisters and brothers of the Forum!

4 hours ago, Bumwah said:

A friend of mine, who owns a 1st Series R18 asked me, how do you change the tires without a center stand?  I thought, support the bike by putting it across the motorcycle lift, support the frame and motor and lift it high enough to pull the axle and drop the tire. He wasn’t sure that he could do this without damage.

So… I guess I’d like to open it up for discussion and gain a little knowledge. It can’t be that tough… And da,  Happy New Year to all my sisters and brothers of the Forum!

I always just put mine on the center stand, strapped the stand forward with a tie down to ensure it couldn't buckle or accidentally dismount the from the center stand if pushed or pulled, put 100 lbs of weight on the rear, to service the front, and left it unweighted, sitting on the front tire, to service the rear (though one could also add additional weight over the tank and handlebars  to ensure it didn't rock backwards with the rear tire off).   Heck, I pulled the transmission on my old R1100RT-P, rebuilt many parts of the bike (i.e. new ball bearings, bushings, shocks, etc.), with the bike supported that way.   

30 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

I always just put mine on the center stand, strapped the stand forward with a tie down to ensure it couldn't buckle or accidentally dismount the from the center stand if pushed or pulled, put 100 lbs of weight on the rear, to service the front, and left it unweighted, sitting on the front tire, to service the rear (though one could also add additional weight over the tank and handlebars  to ensure it didn't rock backwards with the rear tire off).   Heck, I pulled the transmission on my old R1100RT-P, rebuilt many parts of the bike (i.e. new ball bearings, bushings, shocks, etc.), with the bike supported that way.   

R18s have no center stand, hence the question.

Harleys have no center stand either.

An ATV jack, easier with a table lift and scissor jack. 

A chain fall or strap around the ceiling joist to lift the bike.

There a few jack options to get it done.

One of many

29 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

R18s have no center stand, hence the question.

Harleys have no center stand either.

An ATV jack, easier with a table lift and scissor jack. 

A chain fall or strap around the ceiling joist to lift the bike.

There a few jack options to get it done.

One of many

Oops, lack of attention to detail.  Regrets, to the O.P.

I think I once put my RT up on a regular floor jack under the engine, a couple of jack stands with 4x4's, with some modifications to strap the bike to the jackstands, and some tension from straps up to mount points on joists above in my garage (to stabilize, not handle the full weight of the bike).  Not an ideal solution, that would be a full bike hoist, not available in most private garages, but it worked well enough (i.e. safely and successfully).  Not sure if that'd work for an R18.

Used the H-D style lift to do tires on a Rocket 3....... similar issues to the R18......... very heavy and very careful with that weight. Not fun and my buddy still owes me for that work:5146:

Wow ... makes you wonder what happens if you need to pull off a wheel on the road and take it somewhere for a repair. I've had to do that. Have seen a few Harley's on their side minus a wheel and figured that's exactly what they had to do. Ouch.

Would sure be nice to get a centerstand option from BMW if one exists. If not, and enough units sell, maybe someone like Illium would fabricate one.