IGNORED

I need a key made for my 2016 RS model

bavareze

You can swing by the an authorized BMW dealer with proper documentation of ownership, and they can order you one.  Call them first to confirm their process for ordering one.

Be ready to pay an arm and leg for the key fob, Bob's BMW shows a list price of $342 for the FOB and then there is the programming cost.

49 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Be ready to pay an arm and leg for the key fob, Bob's BMW shows a list price of $342 for the FOB and then there is the programming cost.

I think there was a price drop to 260.00 for the fob.  Where I checked and since it was VIN specific I was not told or am I aware of any programing on a BMW fob.  I would pay not a cent if that was the case.

I did a Google search with the p/n 66 12 855 5168 for the KEY FOB and came up with several places to purchase, A&S Cycles and one other place had it listed for $342.38, but another had a price of $299, however, none of these mentioned whether the fob had to be programmed for the bike. Max BMW did say it had to be programmed, so best to ask your dealer or from wherever you purchase it. This place: Key fob transmitter for motorcycles with key-less ride (beemerparts.com) did mention what is required when you purchase the FOB. Good luck. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:06 PM, bavareze said:

Hello!  I bought the bike with only 1 key.  It has a keyless ignition switch.  What are my options to get a second remote made?

Thanks!

Did you get the plastic key with the bike when purchase ?

it’s not made for continue use but good as a spare 

Mike

I can say I had a metal key cut for my GS.  It is key less start but the seat, GPS lock, side bags and top case need a key to open.

I did not want to keep using my fob so a metal key is great to have for my use.  

As I said I think fobs have dropped in price but can not say for sure.  AT the least you can wait on a sale at a dealer and go in then and get a little discount sometimes 15% or more.  I have to have two fobs also but I made a deal when I bought my bike for the second fob and a metal key using the new bike parts discount. 

When we go distance I give a set of keys to another I am riding with just in case.