IGNORED

2005 1200RT CAN BUS?

Tom Forplay

Looking to install some aux driving lights and brake lights.   How do I know my bike has a can bus?  Clear water web site says yes for tail but guy on phone said no.

30 minutes ago, Tom Forplay said:

Looking to install some aux driving lights and brake lights.   How do I know my bike has a can bus?  Clear water web site says yes for tail but guy on phone said no.

Afternoon Tom

Yes, the 2005 BMW 1200RT has a CanBus but CanBus (by definition) usually has nothing to do with the lighting on the hexhead 1200RT's.

But using the term CanBus as a qualifier, as (CanBus) is usually used to describe BMW bikes with other computer controlled things that can effect the lighting.

Your 2005 1200RT does have a ZFE (chassis computer) controlled rear tail light that pulses the rear light from about 8 volts for tail light then constant-on to 12v  for brake light, so some rear aux  LED lights will not work with pulse-width  pulsing type rear brake/tail light control. But some will still work so you need to verify the rear aux lighting that you choose will work with the rear lighting circuit. 

Not much aftermarket front aux. lighting is CAN (CanBus)  controlled on the 2005-2009 1200RT but again verify as I am not familiar with all that are available. 

The guys on the phone might have been confusing the 2005 1200RT with the 2005 1200GS as the early 1200GS used a more conventional rear tail lighting circuit. 

• Thanks 1