IGNORED

When Should We Give It Up?

MichiganBob

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/big-question-for-older-riders-how-do-you-know-when-its-time-to-stop-riding?fbclid=IwAR3e3dLklggp0nYfWq1HU_cqTUBHOQE44eM3ip83fyfRMxFffnKEaTlMGUA

The above is an interesting read, especially for those getting "long in the tooth."

I'm 73, still feeling good physically and mentally good about riding and planning a Saddle Sore 1000 this Spring. We'll see if I can complete it but I've always wanted to try one and it's now or never.

Take good care.

MicihiganBob

For me, maybe when I start outriding my eyesight and reaction time. I can always downgrade bike sizes to eliminate the bike being too big, but when I get scared for the reasons listed above, that might be it. Maybe. I'm kind of a stubborn sob.

Plus, I'm only 58 years old, young compared to some of you old farts..........

John Ranalletta

At 75+, the question arises occasionally.  Often frustrated that reflexes aren't as sharp as well as eyesight.  Hitting the gym 3x/wk trying to build/maintain core muscles with basic moves like dead lift, press, bench press and squats.  Wrangling the GS' weight and keeping it upright with a pillion becomes more challenging.  Aging issues are accentuated when you can't/don't put on the miles to keep skills sharp as well.  Ride your ride at whatever age.  It may just be me, but the risk window is a lot narrower like slowing when approaching a rise in the road that limits visibility, etc.  Oh well.  Getting old ain't for pansies.

• Like 3

Slowing down has helped me at 75 but I also find I don’t ride as often.  So part of my concern is losing my edge from not riding enough.  When I do I’m a lot more aware of things around me so hopefully between that and not pushing quite as hard offset slower reflexes.  

I believe that we as motorcyclists have a much better idea as to when to stop riding and/or driving than most people who only drive cars. We understand more so than them what can happen when we make a mistake when riding, so as we age we see and feel how our reflexes are reduced as well as our sight and general health that prevents us from riding in the safe manner that we have for our many years of riding. From some that age comes sooner than for others unfortunately, so I believe that many of us can ride into our 80''s and maybe later given how we take care of ourselves in our early years. I am 70 and hope to continue riding for many more years to come and hope that many of you will continue also. 

• Like 2

I’m 87 and still ride whenever the sun’s out.   I’ve without doubt lost a lot of my reflexes, but have found that just slowing down and not even trying to push my previous limits has worked pretty well.   I’ve also found that about 5 hours in the saddle is a reasonable limit – beyond that the risk factor goes up for me.   I am considering a lighter bike.   When I stop riding for a while, my blood pressure goes up and my mood goes down.   Everyone’s got a different end point, but most of us, if we keep in reasonable shape, should be able to keep riding as long as we want to.   When we no longer “want to”, that’s the time to quit.

• Like 8
  • Plus 1 1

I've made a few adjustments. Denali 4 lights on the front forks so they can see me coming, Admore taillights which light up the back of the bike and are super bright for turns and braking, a louder horn, a Russell Day Long Saddle, front and rear crash bars, and highway pegs for stretching the aching knees. I'm just trying to work the probabilities a little more onto my side as some of my faculties are not like they were when I first mounted that BSA 441 in 1968 and from that point to now. As the Dessiderata teaches us, "take kindly the counsel of the years gracefully surrendering the things of youth." I'm not ready to hang it up but want to make it a tad safer.

MichiganBob

You will know when.  I am a much safer rider than I was 10-20 years ago.  I no longer ride like my hair is on fire.  I look both ways at every intersection.  I stay a good distance behind the car in front of me so I don't hit a road hazard at the last second.  I ride with ATGATT.  I don't ride at night.  I get the heck off of the freeways as quickly as I can.  Do I still find triple digits occasionally....You bet.  Do I still see what I can top out at occasionally...you bet....but otherwise I'm riding at the speed limit or slightly less with my head on a swivel.  My typical day ride is 250 - 300 miles.

I am 65 and see no reason to slow down.  I'm riding more than when I worked.....weather permitting.  Ride on.  You will know when it's time.  Then you can hang out with others and work on them so you stay connected.

You young guys and your acronyms. I had to look it up. ATGATT means Ride with "All the gear all the time." I'm chuckling over that one.

I second the night riding. Only if I absolutely have to,  definitely prefer not to, especially in Michigan with our very large deer population.

Not sure about the interstate however. I surely don't like the Thunderdome interstates around cities but for getting around in less populated areas and I need to make some miles, they seem safer than some Blue Highways. 

MichiganBob

50 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

You young guys and your acronyms. I had to look it up. ATGATT means Ride with "All the gear all the time." I'm chuckling over that one.

I second the night riding. Only if I absolutely have to,  definitely prefer not to, especially in Michigan with our very large deer population.

Not sure about the interstate however. I surely don't like the Thunderdome interstates around cities but for getting around in less populated areas and I need to make some miles, they seem safer than some Blue Highways. 

MichiganBob

Interstate riding isn’t as fun, but there are situations where it reduces risk. Riding at night is one - the sight lines are increased, there is generally more margin to the side of the road to spot critters emerging from

trees, often there are fences reducing overall critter count. 

If I know I’m going to be stuck in traffic regardless, I’ll often choose the intestate as I then primarily have to worry about traffic from the rear and not so much from the sides etc. 

• Like 1