IGNORED

Hello, new to me R1200ST

Rockreid

Hello, let me introduce myself. Age 54 haven’t ridden in a while. Got the urge to jump back 30 years or so and ride again. I wanted something not outrageous and somewhat funky. I settled on a 2005 R1200ST… what could be a funkier bike than that? It was pretty roachy with 91k miles but also really cheap at a dealer online. So I bought it and shipped it to me here in the Panhandle of Florida. I am a former ASE Master tech and was also a tech at an Audi/Porsche dealer back in my early 20’s so I am not afraid of a fixer upper which this bike most certainly was. The bike ran fine but had a few issues. It came with the MSR slip-on.

Here is a list of my improvements/maintenance so far. The bike had no service history on it. Yes, I’m dumb.

-new  oil and filter. Twice. The oil that was in it was fairly nasty. I ran my  first oil change about 50 miles and changed the oil again. I have about 500 miles now on fresh oil and it looks great in the sight glass.

-new trans fluid. The old stuff looked good.

-air filter. I don’t see how this bike was running at all based on the nasty K&N filter that was totally plugged up. I replaced it with a stock BMW filter.

-final drive oil renew.

-pulled the driveshaft and lubed up front and rear splines. It appeared to have had this service done a long time before but it was time to do it again.

-ABS unit (servo) bled all circuit and refreshed all brake fluid. Works fine surprisingly for its age. The bike shipped with all stainless brake and clutch lines.

-the fuel pump electronics (appears to be original) gave out quickly after I took delivery and I replaced it with a new unit. Runs fine now.

-replaced corroded and/or incorrect bolts and screws throughout the bike including the brake calipers. All fasteners torqued to specs.

-new front  tire Mich Road 5. The rear tire (also a Road 5 has about 50% life left)

-the fuel strip throws a heater code on the gs-911 I bought but the fuel gauge still works. Time is likely ticking on that however. It is the only fault code on the bike.

-cleaned and scrubbed the bike as the previous owner appeared to be Pig Pen from the Peanuts.

it still needs a seat recover. It is currently a black duct tape special. I just took delivery of some saddle vinyl and we’ll see how it turns out. I never claimed to be an upholsterer.

just trying to keep a little bit of history on the road. Whatever one thinks of how an ST looks, you will never blend in with any other bike that’s for sure lol. My bike’s name is Leela from Futurama. I think it’s easy to see why.

-

972A99F9-9758-4A12-903C-814B85F7FBFE.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.  Great looking bike!  Local auto upholstery shops can do fine work on a bike seat.  I had marine grade vinyl replacing OEM leather on my R 1200 C   Easier to maintain.  

Thanks, the bike is a 10-footer. Get any closer and you’ll start to notice a few dings here and there but overall it does look good now for 91k+ on the clock.

I also forgot to include my adjusting the valves (were fine btw) replacing spark plugs and replacing the gear position sensor as the old one was dodgy at best.

• Like 1

Nice looking ST, congrats on getting back in the saddle. I think if you don't ride an RT or GS/GSA then you might be funky!! I ride an RS by the way and had an 1100S before that, so few of either.

👍🍻

Congrats on getting back on the horse, and your fine work.

I always like to see where folks are from, as we have people from all over the globe on this forum.  Perhaps update your "Account Settings" signature (as I have below), or your location under profile (Top Right of this screen), then click "Profile", then click the Edit Profile button, and type away. 

Welcome!

• 1 year later...

REALLY nice bike!!  Congrats and WELCOME to the forum!!  And, that bike is lucky to have found you.

Don't think I've ever seen a live one before (R1200ST).  Is that the stock pillion??