IGNORED

ST high bars

BMWSTeve

I must have have short arms or something. With a tankbag on, I have issues reaching bars comfortably. I am also commuting alot in city traffic and getting alot of shoulder and wrist fatigue. I have been a low bar fan forever and I hate to admit that at age 40, that low bars may not be in the cards for me anymore.

I was going to buy the longer RT brake hose and put the stock handlebars above the triple tree. Anybody here done this?

TIA.

tom collins

Back when I was riding RS's, I was never going to be one of those "old farts" that ride an RT. Guess what I became at age 45 for the same reasons.

Good luck.

tom collins

Missouri Bob

I was going to buy the longer RT brake hose and put the stock handlebars above the triple tree. Anybody here done this?

In order to put the stock bars above the triple clamp, wouldn't you need to move the fork tubes up about 25mm? Looking at my bike, it appears that you have two options.

1) Raise the tubes through the top clamp only. If you do this, the tele-lever spring will have to be compressed; resulting in a harsher front end.

2) Raise the tube through the top clamp and the lower clamp. If this even possible, you could have interferance with the front fender at full fork compression.

I think both options will lower the front end; changing the geometry and possibly making centerstand use more difficult.

I hope I didn't misunderstand the problem or overlook something important.

Bob

Missouri Bob

I should look more carefully before I display my ignorance.

Yes, the lower clamp can be moved. Unfortunately, it will move to an area where the slider is smaller in diameter. In other words, "option 2" will not work.

Bob

ShovelStrokeEd

I dunno, at 64 my two primary bikes are a Honda Blackbird and my 1100SBX with the bars below the triples. I find the position very comfy.

You will encounter no problems with either front fender clearance or fork travel with your ST. Nor do you have to mess with the lower triple. Support the bike on the center stand such that the front wheel is off the ground, loosen the clamp bolt on the upper triple and slide the fork tube down till you can get the bar out, then slide the fork tube back up and through the triple till it protrudes enough to accept the bar. Replace bar and any hoses or throttle cablse that require it, tighten everything one more time and your done. There is plenty of engagement with the lower sliders so this shouldn't be a problem.

I am not sure how or what an ST uses for anti-rotation, whether the bar is bolted to the underside of the triple, which was the case on my 1100S or there is a tang on the bars that engages the gap where the triple clamps. With a little more work, you can strip the electric controls and throttle off, switch the bars from side to side and turn them over, on the S, I made a little bar with a couple of heim joints and a turnbuckle that allowed me to use the factory bolt holes and tied the bars together to prevent rotation and gave me some adjustment in angle.

A friend of mine purchased an ST with the verholden bar backs which raises the bars above the triple clamps. You may want to look at this as a solution.

tom collins

Ed: congrats on reaching 64. in regard to my comment about having to change to the RT, it just depends on one's body and what it is up for. i would still much prefer the RS/ST/VFR type of riding position if i could do it because i like the lighter weight and greater control you get, but i type for a living and that with riding, tractoring, and especially, weed whacking and chain sawing just make it so my hands start to tingle and hurt if leaned over. maybe in retirement, i will be able to get back to the leaned over position?. enjoy your sporty bikes, i'm envious.

tom collins

Thanks to all for the links and input.

1. I will order the brake hose and washers today.

2. I like Ed's idea for keeping the controls from rotating, I will probably tap the existing guide holes and make an aluminum cross bar like the Gadget Guy's and maybe use that as a GPS mount.

3. For me, I like the MAster Yoda riding position, been doing it for years on the open road. Around town or in stop-n-go traffic I tend to slouch and lean heavy on the h-bars. Always hated S and RS bikes around town.

4. My vacation time has been cut in half recently, so my road trips are almost non-existent, which means I need to set my bike up for where my max usage is...commuting and errand running around town.

Thanks again!

Missouri Bob

I blew it.

There will be no problems with ride quality or geometry. I completely mis-analyzed the front end's behavior.

Sorry.

Bob

Archived