IGNORED

R1150RT-P

a99miata

I am looking at R1150RT-P bike. Is there anything I should be aware of on looking at a RT-P no matter the mileage? I have read a few posts about the cop bikes so a good visual is a must, records on maintenace a big plus and any extras on the bike.

Find out if it was used for training (if you're buying directly from the dept.)

Look for damage/scrapes or brand-new crash-bars. (Indicators for usage!)

Find out as much as you can...each RT-P is unique, more so than the civilian models. Check to see if there's any extra's that came w/ the bike. (radio box, 2nd seat, etc...)

It should have (YMMV) throttlemeister, city cases, comfort seat, radio box, 2nd battery, extra switches, no rear pegs, crash-bars front/rear, front powerlet, front speakers, windshield (? tall), heated grips, hazard lights.

Check the link in my sig for additional information.

Buying a used cop bike is a roll of the dice. Some officers ride and abuse the bikes because neither the bike nor the cost of maintenance is theirs. Others ride like the bike belongs to them and take pride in their professionalism and ride and care for the bike accordingly. Highway patrol bikes tend to be better bets than RT-P's used in cities. As with all RT's, clutch and driveline issues are the problem areas. My bike came from a CHP sergeant, they ride less and are not as ticket hungry. Happy with it so far.

I am looking at R1150RT-P bike. Is there anything I should be aware of on looking at a RT-P no matter the mileage? I have read a few posts about the cop bikes so a good visual is a must, records on maintenace a big plus and any extras on the bike.

Your local dealership can run the VIN and help you find out who's serviced it while in police service. You can then give that shop the VIN and they can tell you what was done while the cops had it.

Good luck with an RT-P, I love mine!

I did change out the city lids on the saddlebags tho. I just needed more room than that.

RTP's also come with the "comfort" seat.

If the bike comes with the Whelen emergency gear, that's a plus, particularly if it has the newer LED strobes. Security agencies and PD's will buy that from you privately at $300 to $600 - just be sure who you're selling to. RTP's usually have the radio removed and siren disconnected by the agency.

Don't overpay. In my opinion, and from experience watching the market, you should expect at least a 25% discount from the civilian market. You may get lucky and have a totally problem free bike, but again, based on observation and experience, you can expect to spend the difference between the cost of the civilian model and RTP on additional maintenance, conversion work, and of course, FARKLES!! clap.gifgrin.gifclap.gif

I like my RTP, and would like to have a 2004 model down the road. However, it seems almost impossible to get a bike directly from an agency (CHP, local PD's, etc.) on auction. The majority of these "turn-ins" seem to go to dealer-only auctions, and the dealers (many of them independent) expect to get $8,500 to $10,000 for these bikes, which usually have 60K miles on them. For that price, or a bit more, I'd rather just get a civilian bike with lower miles on it. (Yes, I know the power train on these bikes last "forever", but maintenance costs are still higher on a higher mileage bike.)

By the way, if you're looking at a bike with less than 60,000 miles, and maybe substantially less, that's a red flag. There aren't a lot of "granny SGT's riding these bikes only to church on Sunday. I've looked at about a dozen "low mileage" bikes, and almost all of them were previously crashed bikes either repaired or salvage-titled, i.e. the "low mileage" was due to the fact that the bike was out of service for a period of the lease for repairs. Other lower mileage bikes may come from local PD's, meaning they spent a lot less time on patrol, and a lot more time sitting at the side of a road with a cop and radar-gun attached.

Good luck!

If a dealer "unhooks" the lights etc, make sure they do a good job of terminating the unused wires. My dealer just chopped a cable off flush, leaving some hot conductors very close together. Otherwise I've been quite happy. Not without problems, but the problems I've had would be expected with most bikes having 60K miles....Oh yes, and the larger alternator and oil cooler fan are nice...

I'll throw in another vote for these bikes. I have 6 mo and 6K mi on my 2000 R1100RT-P and it is the perfect bike in most areas imoirtant to me. I was paraniod at first but the bikes has proven mechanically sound and reliable so far just turning 60K...

Also have an RT-P, but mine's an 1100. Used the bike in my daily commute for about 11 months now (~6500 miles total). Besides the full service I had done on it when I bought it, it has needed exactly the following:

1) 1 blown fork seal replacement;

2) 1 Oil/filter change;

3) 1 set of rear brake pads;

4) New tires (replaced the OEM Dunlops with Metz Z6's)

5) Fuel.

That's it. Just fuel her up and go and go.

I believe that mine was an ex-CHP bike based on the labels on the frame, and what my wrench says. But mine only had 47k on it when I bought it. No evidence of accident or damage, or having being ridden hard and put away wet as a training bike. This one sold at auction in late 2004. I am wondering whether the CHP was clearing out all of their 1100's at about that time, whether they had reached the run-out 60k miles or not. Agencies like the CHP always like to have some consistency in their fleets, and they had been receiving/using the 1150's for 2 years when my 1100 was retired.

Just a guess.

Good luck with your potential RT-P.

Tom

I am wondering whether the CHP was clearing out all of their 1100's at about that time, whether they had reached the run-out 60k miles or not.

Turn in's were due at 60K or 36 months (to avoid lease penalties), under the CHP contract. So, yours may have been turned in below 60K miles due to the 36 month duration. Every dealer seems to say "ex CHP bike.." - mine did. But when I contacted BMW while trying to find the title, I found out that it was from a PD in Tustin, CA. I'm not going to say that the CHP never had any motors turned in prior to 60K miles, but from what the BMW Authority Manager told me, because of the type of duty, it was pretty rare. More than likely, yours was a Sheriff's or PD bike, or if CHP, was out for some months for maintenance.

Your local BMW can print out your bike's service record which may also reveal the agency that used the bike. (The two local dealers in my area would not, citing "privacy considerations".)

I had that problem happen to me. Mine was a 2001 R1100RT

ex-CHP where the wiring was cut without any regard to

hot conductors. They finally shorted out and melted leaving

it totally in need of a new harness.

I am now looking at a couple thou to replace the wiring harness on a bike that only cost 6K to begin with. BMW of NA laughed when I suggested that they might look into this. The dealer is also saying tough s&*t. So, I now own an expensive rolling sculpture that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. bncry.gif

I had that problem happen to me. Mine was a 2001 R1100RT

ex-CHP where the wiring was cut without any regard to

hot conductors. They finally shorted out and melted leaving

it totally in need of a new harness.

I am now looking at a couple thou to replace the wiring harness on a bike that only cost 6K to begin with. BMW of NA laughed when I suggested that they might look into this. The dealer is also saying tough s&*t. So, I now own an expensive rolling sculpture that won't be going anywhere anytime soon. bncry.gif

Contact Mike Figielski (inquiries@beemerboneyard.com) at beemerboneyard.com, and tell him what you need. It may not happen immediately, but he's been able to find parts I needed.

If your bike came directly from BMW or a BMW dealer, I'd also call BMW Motorrad's Customer Service number, and/or Frank Stevens, BMW's Authority Program manager, and see if they're willing to help you out. If nothing else, maybe they can scare up a scraped bike and pull a harness for you.

Good luck.

Archived