IGNORED

Ignition key replacement

Ponch

On 12/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, Ponch said:

If I needed one, how difficult is that to get?

Evening  Ponch

Not difficult to get but it is ONLY a dealer furnished item & you have to take in proof of ownership (usually the title).

Not a cheap key to buy & usually takes a few days to get.

It is coded a chip so without a proper chip in the key that the antenna ring can read it just won't start & no easy way to defeat the system. 

Take title AND registration just to be sure. I even took proof of insurance also. I’m anal that way, and this was just for an additional fob. 

I have the remnants of the plastic key(it has the RFID chip in it) and I have the GSK code doohickey. I have to see if I have a title. In AZ they went digital/DMV has it. 

What's not cheap?

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

I have the remnants of the plastic key(it has the RFID chip in it) and I have the GSK code doohickey. I have to see if I have a title. In AZ they went digital/DMV has it. 

What's not cheap?

Evening Ponch

If you have the RFI part of the plastic key then you c-o-u-l-d cheat the system by unbolting the ignition switch antenna,  then taping (or fastening)  the RFI part of your old key into the antenna ring, then zip tying the antenna ring in a safe location.  This should allow any key that fits/works in your ignition switch to function & start the engine.  But this assumes that you have a functional metal key to get copied. 

Or you might be able to buy a non-chipped key from BMW using just the motorcycle  serial number.

If you bought the bike new from a local dealer there might be a (chipped) 2nd metal key in their possession (some  hexheads came with 2 metal keys & a plastic key with the dealer keeping the 2nd metal key). My 2009 hexhead came with 2 metal keys & a plastic key, I talked (pretty well forced) the dealer to give me that 2nd metal key. (might be worth a try)   

36 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Ponch

If you have the RFI part of the plastic key then you c-o-u-l-d cheat the system by unbolting the ignition switch antenna,  then taping (or fastening)  the RFI part of your old key into the antenna ring, then zip tying the antenna ring in a safe location.  This should allow any key that fits/works in your ignition switch to function & start the engine.  But this assumes that you have a functional metal key to get copied. 

Or you might be able to buy a non-chipped key from BMW using just the motorcycle  serial number.

If you bought the bike new from a local dealer there might be a (chipped) 2nd metal key in their possession (some  hexheads came with 2 metal keys & a plastic key with the dealer keeping the 2nd metal key). My 2009 hexhead came with 2 metal keys & a plastic key, I talked (pretty well forced) the dealer to give me that 2nd metal key. (might be worth a try)   

Interesting comment. 

Sidebar Question:  Why would the dealer keep the second metal, RFID'd key, if they have sold, and no longer own the bike?

Can they re-use them?  Recode and sell them?

BMW (and it's dealers) is weird, sometimes.

Mine came with 2 metal keys, a plastic key, a plastic RFI chip, and they gave me some sort of a code that said if I ever needed a key bring this code as it is all we need.

15 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Interesting question.  Hope someone knows.  I would have assumed they kept it as an emergency key for the owner...but thats kind of like asking my wife to hold my wallet so I don't spend any money.

29 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Interesting comment. 

Sidebar Question:  Why would the dealer keep the second metal, RFID'd key, if they have sold, and no longer own the bike?

BMW (and it's dealers) is weird, sometimes.

Evening Scott

Reason I was given was BMW's recommendation in case the metal & plastic key were lost by owner, they (the dealer) retained a working key for the owner.  (I think the BMS-K only has 10 addresses available (7 left after original 3 keys) for new key programming.

The dealer  might also have a use for that key if the motorcycle was broken down & left somewhere with no key from owner handy to use  for vehicle recovery. 

I know my dealer held the 2nd key & I have talked to others that their dealer did the same thing.  

Again, I'm not sure if all hexheads came with that 2nd key, or just some of the later ones, or just some dealers requested one from BMW.  I know mine came with the 2nd key. Luckily I  knew of that 2nd key as the dealer never mentioned it to me until I sort of forced them to address it & even then they tried their darndest to not give me that 2nd key. 

• Like 1
On 12/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Ponch

I had two keys(lost the other one 5 or 6 years ago), the plastic key and the key code. The plastic key broke, but I kept the chip part. Some good news though, I found the key. Now to make a copy. It would have ended up in the trash had I not found it. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, Ponch said:

If I needed one, how difficult is that to get?

For BMW, you will need proof of identity and proof of ownership. A driver's license and registration is good. 

Keys are cut in Stockton and generally take a couple of days to get. Depending on model year, you may also want to schedule a service appointment to code the keys to your bike if you lost the key. 

5 hours ago, ian408 said:

For BMW, you will need proof of identity and proof of ownership. A driver's license and registration is good. 

Keys are cut in Stockton and generally take a couple of days to get. Depending on model year, you may also want to schedule a service appointment to code the keys to your bike if you lost the key. 

Morning ian408

If they have (or have access to) a GS-911 then the (lost key) can be disabled in the BMS-K (not necessary but usually desirable),  then new key can be enabled in the BMS-K using the GS-911.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 5:14 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning ian408

If they have (or have access to) a GS-911 then the (lost key) can be disabled in the BMS-K (not necessary but usually desirable),  then new key can be enabled in the BMS-K using the GS-911.  

It's been a while but I don't recall that the GS-911 deals with keys. Which version? Do you remember? 

9 hours ago, ian408 said:

It's been a while but I don't recall that the GS-911 deals with keys. Which version? Do you remember? 

Morning ian408

The newer (red) WiFi versions should have a function under --

CONTROLLER SERVICE

BMSK ENGINE CONTROLLER

BMSK configurations.jpg