IGNORED

throttle died during acceleration

dtf

i bought a used 2017 r1200rt in april and have had no problems till now. it had 7880 miles on it when purchased and i have added 9000 miles since then.  i was riding two weeks ago and was on two lane highway when we came to an uphill passing lane i got on the throttle to pass. the throttle went dead but not the motor. there was no response when i twisted throttle. the warning light and check engine lights came on . i used the idling motor to get to a safe spot to stop. turned the bike off and then restarted it. the warning lights went off and the bike ran normal. then a week later i decided to try again and had gone about seventy miles and passed several cars in that time. the next time i tried to pass it happened again, dead throttle. pulled over restarted bike and everything was normal. dangerous situation. has anybody else experienced this problem?

Check the connector for the drive by wire throttle.  It is up under the switchgear for the right hand switches.

Do you have bar risers?  If so, this makes this issue more likely.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, alegerlotz said:

Check the connector for the drive by wire throttle.  It is up under the switchgear for the right hand switches.

Do you have bar risers?  If so, this makes this issue more likely.

This.

It has happened many times to many people including me.

ok, i will check that tomorrow. this bike has been so much fun till this.i suspected it had to be something to do with the throttle by wire system ,but didnt know what or where to look for and yes it does have bar risers.    thanks guys. i will keep you informed as to what i find. next three days its going to rain. itll be next week before i can test it.  thanks again

Happened to me a year ago with my '18 RT, went to dealer, showed a fault code for a trans sensor, replaced it and it's never happened again.