IGNORED

Handling Changes as Tires Wearing

Shelterwoods

I have noticed that as the tires wear on my R1250-RS, the handling becomes decidedly heavy. I am new to the BMW brand, and haven't noticed as dramatic a change on other bikes I've owned. I am on my second set of tires, Metzler Roadtec 01's replaced the Metzler 07's that came with the bike. With both sets, as 7,000 miles approach, the handling becomes heavy, requiring much more effort to turn in to a corner. The 01's profile is probably flatter now because of a 4,000 mile ride to Phoenix than the 07's had at 7,000 miles, but they both exhibited the same handling characteristics. When new, both sets were very nice.

I look forward to your feedback.

Del

1 hour ago, Shelterwoods said:

I have noticed that as the tires wear on my R1250-RS, the handling becomes decidedly heavy. I am new to the BMW brand, and haven't noticed as dramatic a change on other bikes I've owned. I am on my second set of tires, Metzler Roadtec 01's replaced the Metzler 07's that came with the bike. With both sets, as 7,000 miles approach, the handling becomes heavy, requiring much more effort to turn in to a corner. The 01's profile is probably flatter now because of a 4,000 mile ride to Phoenix than the 07's had at 7,000 miles, but they both exhibited the same handling characteristics. When new, both sets were very nice.

I look forward to your feedback.

Del

Morning  Del

Just about every large newer BMW that I have owned does that. As the tires get miles on them the center of the tire wears flat in relation to the off-center areas so the tire turn-in gets slower & more sluggish as the miles accumulate. 

The rear seems just as bad as the front at slowing down the turn-in so it isn't only a front tire wear deal. 

I have found that lowering the air pressure slightly seems to help a little as that allows a bit more tire wear off-center. 

Long hauls on the interstate adds to the problem as that puts just about ALL the tire wear on just that center strip due to air pressure gain & straight line riding so that can then flatten the center off pretty quickly. 

I'm a pretty aggressive rider so do wear the tires off-center pretty heavily but still manage to wear the centers flat enough to effect turn-in. The only up-side I have to riding aggressively is that means I usually get less than 6K miles on the tires so I do get that new-tire turn-in feel fairly often.

8 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Del

Just about every large newer BMW that I have owned does that. As the tires get miles on them the center of the tire wears flat in relation to the off-center areas so the tire turn-in gets slower & more sluggish as the miles accumulate. 

The rear seems just as bad as the front at slowing down (numbing down)  the turn-in so it isn't only a front tire wear deal. 

I have found that lowering the air pressure slightly seems to help a little as that allows a bit more tire wear off-center. 

Long hauls on the interstate adds to the problem as that puts just about ALL the tire wear on just that center strip due to air pressure gain & straight line riding so that can then flatten the center off pretty quickly. 

I'm a pretty aggressive rider so do wear the tires off-center pretty heavily but still manage to wear the centers flat enough to effect turn-in. The only up-side I have to riding aggressively is that means I usually get less than 6K miles on the tires so I do get that new-tire turn-in feel fairly often.

• 3 months later...

7000 miles on Metzler 7RR's they are worn out. These are sport leaning tires, good but go south quickly. My K bike eats tires by 4500 miles on a good day (m7RR's). Get more in tune with your tires, many brands are worn out before they look it. This is especially true for Michelin PR series tires. Less than 1.5 mm tread is super worn out an illegal Germany. As mentioned pay special attention to your tire pressures. Check once a week. A pound or two will change things.

• Like 1
Shelterwoods

Beech, thank you for your information. I just replaced my tires at about 7,000. I went back to Metzler 08's as I couldn't find the 01's in the size. Either tire gets very thin in the center well before the tread wear indicators are near the tread surface, so I'm going to start changing earlier, perhaps at 5,500 or 6,000.

Del