IGNORED

R1200ST After Market Seat

Jim F

Were there after market seats offered for the R1200ST during it's production years? I've been watching the auction sites and classifieds, but no joy. I know it was a short run for the ST, making ST specific parts harder to find. But I'd really like to find a Corbin if they were available.

I've even thought if I can't find what I'm looking for, I could take a Corbin seat that was made for another BMW model and either mod the seat pan to fit the ST, or remove the seat material and transfer it onto the ST seat pan. Crazy, I know!

I guess the other option (easiest) is to buy a gel or air pad to put on top of my seat. I really don't like the looks of that, but sometime you just have to go with function over form.      

8 minutes ago, Jim F said:

Were there after market seats offered for the R1200ST during it's production years? I've been watching the auction sites and classifieds, but no joy. I know it was a short run for the ST, making ST specific parts harder to find. But I'd really like to find a Corbin if they were available.

I've even thought if I can't find what I'm looking for, I could take a Corbin seat that was made for another BMW model and either mod the seat pan to fit the ST, or remove the seat material and transfer it onto the ST seat pan. Crazy, I know!

I guess the other option (easiest) is to buy a gel or air pad to put on top of my seat. I really don't like the looks of that, but sometime you just have to go with function over form.      

I had my ST’s seat customized by Rick Mayer, who I believe is no longer in business. Bill Mayer Saddles’ founded by his son Rocky, has been producing custom saddles, but Rocky died recently and the website is now parked (the company was still producing as of recently). Russell Day-Long and others are still able to do this sort of work, but you’d likely have to send them your seat pan.

You will still have to send in your seat but Sargent has been an awesome company to buy from. I’m sure they’d have a quick turnaround time on a custom seat build.

Edit Oldrider out gunned me! :spittake:

I saw Sargent was custom making them on your seat pan, but wanted to find a used Corbin before I went that route. But I'm not sure Corbin ever made a seat for the ST. Anyone know?

To answer my own question.....It's been said if you drove into Corbin's place of business you could have a seat made on your seat pan. Apparently there was never a big enough market for the ST to do off the shelf mail order. I guess that pretty much makes the chances of finding a used Corbin, or any of the other aftermarket seat brands, a "slim to none" proposition. As was previously said, looks like Sargent is my best bet.  

• 2 weeks later...

I swear by the Russel Day Long - you also send in your pan and they build it to your specifications. You will also need to send them pictures of you on the bike etc. Right before build, they call to verify your facts. Great company.