Jump to content

Puig Touring Windshield for the 2014-18 RT


2015 Black RT

Recommended Posts

2015 Black RT

I recently acquired a 2015 RT, and in a few days of riding realized while the wind protection was pretty good, it could be better. For reference, I'm 6-1 and my bike has the stock high seat with a sheepskin pad. All my street bikes have had some sort of fairing, whether it's the factory GSX1100G one or a Vetter Windjammer. The RT is my first experience with a height-adjustable windshield.

 

Doing some shopping, the best value I found new was at Revzilla for the Puig Touring Windshield. The Puig part number is 7525W. It is clear and "standard" whatever that means. I paid $148 + tax with free shipping, so OTD was around $159. Here are my impressions after a brief ride at speeds up to about 70:

1. This thing is TALL! All the way up you'd need to be around 7' tall to see over it. Just kidding, but it is way up there.

2. It's also wider then OEM, and this helped quiet the ride nicely.

3. In the lowest position, it's about perfect for lower speed cruising, but little air on your chest if that's what you're looking for.

4. I only need to put it up maybe 25% for a great over the top view position.

5. Installation was a breeze. It uses OEM hardware and screw openings. The top and bottom holes are slotted (see pics), and there is a second set of center holes, so it's made for more than one bike. It only goes on one way on the RT, so it's dummy-proof.  :/

 

Side note, I ordered on Tuesday and had it on Wednesday. Not usually a big deal for those in cities, but I'm in a rural area. I had a similar experience with Revzilla when I bought tires earlier. The only drawback was that I was shorted 1 of the 2 silicone pads they say to install on the OEM wind deflectors. I don't see that as a big deal as there was no contact between the two pieces with the windshield all the way down.

 

Pics to follow:

In front of OEM screen:

IMG_20211117_161918908.thumb.jpg.38c34bfcf98a0423d3d82ed30cc1ecef.jpg

 

Closeup of the oval mounting holes:

IMG_20211117_162321102.thumb.jpg.1a06bbd13457407ebe3c4b28821f68ee.jpg

 

Installed on the bike:

IMG_20211117_162313776.thumb.jpg.c3113d25937b6a04c7e2d831c277143a.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment

As I recall from my research (and somewhat unreliable memory), PUIG makes the windscreens for Werks.  Whether this is the identical model, you'll probably have to wait  until you're side by side with another RT with Works, to know for sure.   I bought a scratched OEM shield to replace the sports shield that came with my bike, as I had an experience with a Cee Baily screen that was SO effective, I couldn't get ANY air over the top during hot, SoCal summers.  But Werks/Puig are my next target, based upon the great reviews (like yours).  I'm 6' 2", so your experienced would probably match mine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

As I recall from my research (and somewhat unreliable memory), PUIG makes the windscreens for Werks.  Whether this is the identical model, you'll probably have to wait  until you're side by side with another RT with Works, to know for sure.   I bought a scratched OEM shield to replace the sports shield that came with my bike, as I had an experience with a Cee Baily screen that was SO effective, I couldn't get ANY air over the top during hot, SoCal summers.  But Werks/Puig are my next target, based upon the great reviews (like yours).  I'm 6' 2", so your experienced would probably match mine.

PUIG does NOT make the WERKS Quiet Rides! Puig is, as far as I know, a European company. There is nothing similar in the design comparing a WERKS Quiet Ride and the Puig shown above. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, realshelby said:

PUIG does NOT make the WERKS Quiet Rides! Puig is, as far as I know, a European company. There is nothing similar in the design comparing a WERKS Quiet Ride and the Puig shown above. 

I apparently didn't bookmark the particular post, and just spent an hour trying to substantiate what I wrote, but I can't find the reference.   I wasn't making it up or denigrating WERKS, I did read the post.  So, for now I'll simple withdraw my assertion, until I can find the reference again (which I will post).  

 

(I did find a bookmark to WERKS shields, though, so it's not like I forgot about you guys. 😁🍻)

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 4:44 AM, realshelby said:

PUIG does NOT make the WERKS Quiet Rides! Puig is, as far as I know, a European company. There is nothing similar in the design comparing a WERKS Quiet Ride and the Puig shown above. 

Whew!!!  I'm glad I figured this one out.  It was bugging me.  The claim is that 7jurock makes the Werks windscreen.  Whether it's true or not, I have no idea, but that's what was posted.  (I didn't make it up.  I'm not a liar.)

 

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/werks-quiet-ride-windshield.140217/post-1438089

 

https://www.7jurock.com/

 

Link to comment

Yes, I have a partnership with 7Jurock. They have a plastics business with the CNC cutting table, ovens, and they keep the molds there. Simply not possible to make one line of windshields if you have to invest in all that equipment/space to put it all. 

 

I own WERKS Parts and the Quiet Ride series of windshields. The problem was that some would post that you could buy the same screen from 7Jurock for less money. That was never true. 

 

So, as with any business, statements that are misleading have to be carefully ( respectfully ) redirected. I hope you and others understand.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, realshelby said:

Yes, I have a partnership with 7Jurock. They have a plastics business with the CNC cutting table, ovens, and they keep the molds there. Simply not possible to make one line of windshields if you have to invest in all that equipment/space to put it all. 

 

I own WERKS Parts and the Quiet Ride series of windshields. The problem was that some would post that you could buy the same screen from 7Jurock for less money. That was never true. 

 

So, as with any business, statements that are misleading have to be carefully ( respectfully ) redirected. I hope you and others understand.

 

The more options that exist for consumers, the better the products available, and possibly, prices, too.  I don't expect Werks and 7Jurock's prices or products to be identical.

 

I appreciate your position, and perspective.  Werks products are still in my "toys for the future" bookmarks folder. Your products reputation has earned that.  😏

🍻

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...