IGNORED

Oil cap and filler neck popped out

4master

Hello. I am new to the forum and new to BMW motorcycles. I have a 2002 R1150R. The oil cap and filler neck popped out while riding - made a bit of a mess but shut the bike off immediately and do not think any damage to the internals occurred. I have parts on the way. 

I have read about the common issue with leaking caps and the like but was curious if anyone has had the entire assembly pop out of the valve cover?

Oil filler hole.jpg

12 minutes ago, 4master said:

Hello. I am new to the forum and new to BMW motorcycles. I have a 2002 R1150R. The oil cap and filler neck popped out while riding - made a bit of a mess but shut the bike off immediately and do not think any damage to the internals occurred. I have parts on the way. 

I have read about the common issue with leaking caps and the like but was curious if anyone has had the entire assembly pop out of the valve cover?

Evening  4master

Over the years I know a few riders that had their oil fill cap & neck come out while riding. 

One I know was somewhat caused by the previous owner removing a locking cap assembly & improperly reinstalling the original cap & neck at time of sale. 

I do know of another one that came out while riding & that one was tracked back to a pinched crankcase vent hose allowing pressure build-up in the crankcase.  

So make sure that your crankcase vent hose between the engine & air box is not pinched or kinked.

Sheesh. Never heard of this happening but I’m not a wrench.  

Are  there any early warnings or indicators that indicate this may occur? Is there any preventative maintenance to prevent this from happening?

Miguel