IGNORED

left side pannier handle will not lock down, 2016 R1200RT

Monte Sloan Jr

Monte Sloan Jr

I took the left side pannier on my bike and I cannot get the handle to push down, when I put it back on. 

The right bag and lock works fine, the handle snaps right down.

I know this must have happened to someone.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you 

I have seen the little mounting points come loose and that may cause an incorrect alignment which in turn will prevent the handle from being properly depressed. Also if the side case is not fully aligned with each mounting point, that will also prevent the handle from being fully depressed. 

• Plus 1 1
21 hours ago, Monte Sloan Jr said:

I took the left side pannier on my bike and I cannot get the handle to push down, when I put it back on. 

The right bag and lock works fine, the handle snaps right down.

I know this must have happened to someone.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you 

Rockosmith learned this and passed it on to me:  put your right hand on the side of the pannier at the top aft edge and push inward, the handle will lock down.

My 15 RT did the same. 

I never figured out why but by aligning and putting it on a certain way it went every time or close.    I think I put it on by aligning the  center peg and the front hook, then putting the case on with the rear hook going in place last.  Hard to explain but it did work for me.   It was central locking if that matters in the thought process.  I had seen the complaint but some of the fixes look like nothing I wanted to do for as little as I took my cases off.  Basically to wash the bike.  I had liners and never took them off into motel room on the road.

It was the only niggle on the 15 RT I had.   As I say I did not remove them a lot, but it was frustrating to fuss with it when I did.

• 3 weeks later...
Monte Sloan Jr

Ok, I put a bungee cord under the seat handles and hooked it the bag handle, to hold it on the bike. A week later I noticed the handle was quite flat/low. I held the handle down and carefully removed the bungee cord.  Do not let the handle come up, with the bungee cord the handle went down and locked ??? I guess it put pressure on the handle and locked itself. 

This worked for me, hope this helps somebody. 

• 1 month later...

While traveling thru Texas I couldn't latch my bag closed after coming out of a Walmart after dark. I went back into the store and bought a roll of black gorilla tape. Back in my room, in the light I could see the screw located under the latch was backed out about 1/4". I checked the other bag and found that screw very loose there also.A few years later i bought a used low mileage K-gt. Those screws on each bag were both 2 full turns loose also

I've had problems unlocking and locking my bags, plus some problems attaching/disconnecting.  The locks seem unreliable.  It's in the category of a nit, but it's an irritating nit.

I read from some that it has something to do with conflicts central locking.  The bike is in winter layup, now, but on both my "first rides" last fall, the locks failed to lock or unlock with the key.  The second time, my helmet happened to be inside.  Idaho has no helmet laws, but I don't ride without 'em, so it was a problem.

Anyhow, I'll try to thoroughly exorcize the lock demons in the spring.  One of the cord retractors is also disconnected, not sure if it's broken or just needs to be reattached, so I'll take that up at the same time.

BTW, the new lock on the top case works just fine, no problems at all, so it maybe some lose side case locks, needs some graphite lubricant in 'em, whatever.

(Aside:  It's easier to write about the problem, then go into the (heated) garage, pull the bike outta storage, and actually FIX the problem.  🤣🤣🤣😒😖

• 1 month later...

I’m encountering the same issue, left side doesn’t want to lock, is there a permanent fix, I don’t mind diving in if I can find some support