IGNORED

Are GM's customer too dumb to use an on/off switch?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Added heated equipment to the GS using a cheap relay and an off/on switch.  Why not add the heaters and let the customers hook them up?

image.png.e04cf4e7addc809b411c27291cd93b87.png

I think we need to figure out how to make chips ourselves and not the potato kind! That’s a good looking Chevvy, but it ain’t no Ford! :yes:

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I think we need to figure out how to make chips ourselves and not the potato kind! That’s a good looking Chevvy, but it ain’t no Ford! :yes:

It's more than likely the next war with China will be over Taiwan's position as #1 chip maker, especially the most sophisticated chips.

Let’s see. What would Trump and Biden do with that threat

not sure on Biden but suspect Trump would say build chips here or face massive import tax and yes we will help some on taxes just like we do a ton of other businesses 

Biden administration.. I really have no guess. Not trying to down him just truly don’t know. Guess will find out soon enough 

John Ranalletta
12 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

not sure on Biden but suspect Trump would say build chips here or face massive import tax and yes we will help some on taxes just like we do a ton of other businesses 

Biden administration.. I really have no guess. Not trying to down him just truly don’t know. Guess will find out soon enough 

If Intel, et al, would build fab plants with the money they use to enrich themselves via their stock options with buybacks, we could have all the chips we need.  $130.5 BILLION in 20 & 21 alone.

• Like 2

Agree John… have you seen the price of business grade laptops lately?  Crazy. I have a personal laptop I paid $1300 three years ago. Good friend wants one just like it. Now $2800

John Ranalletta
23 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Agree John… have you seen the price of business grade laptops lately?  Crazy. I have a personal laptop I paid $1300 three years ago. Good friend wants one just like it. Now $2800

I've an older Thinkpad with a glitch that I'm trying to resurrect to avoid buying a new unit.  Also, if on Windows, many existing units will not support Windows 11; so, if one has a working unit with W10, don't upgrade via the Insider channel in Updates until running the windows health assessment.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewpchealth

3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Added heated equipment to the GS using a cheap relay and an off/on switch.  Why not add the heaters and let the customers hook them up?

image.png.e04cf4e7addc809b411c27291cd93b87.png

The added cost of engineering and manufacture would be substantial. Much cheaper to just say no, but charge the same for the truck, actually increasing profits.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I thought no politics allowed. What has that got to do with the original question of replacing the chips with manual switches?

Wasn’t political. Had to do with the link and chip manufacturers saying we will only build US plants if get large  fed tax break and incentives. I’m very curious whether we will give the breaks or not. Hope we do as chips in USA is goodness

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Wasn’t political.

Hard to think it wasn't when two specific politicians with differing mindsets were mentioned by you but not in the article (the article not listed in the op), and one of those was presumed by you to act in one way, the other questioned about his theoretical actions.

And still doesn't address the original question, why not allow owner installed switches rather than eliminate the feature altogether. The reason for eliminating the heated features is cost and complexity due to canbus systems and lack of chips as opposed to the old school style of 12v wiring and hard switches.

Just sayin'.