Is there going to be a Spring Torrey 2022?

Crazy_Canuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dennis Andress

I'm curious if any of the usual suspects would be interested in stretching the ride to Torrey a bit...

usual suspect.jpg

Dennis Andress
On 1/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I'm curious if any of the usual suspects would be interested in stretching the ride to Torrey a bit...

I guess the lights are on and nobody's home...

May be an image of nature and mountain

• Like 1
On 1/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Depends on what your definition of stretching the ride is.  Without having to shoehorn in Torrey between workdays, it makes it a lot easy to extend my trip.  I'm definitely open to suggestion.

Dennis Andress
2 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Depends on what your definition of stretching the ride is.  Without having to shoehorn in Torrey between workdays, it makes it a lot easy to extend my trip.  I'm definitely open to suggestion.

An extra day...

cape royal.jpg

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
7 minutes ago, LBump said:

Isn't Cape Royal a dirt/gravel road? Looks like excitement.... :burnout:

It's paved. You might want to pack light though. We'll get to ride the Moki Dugway on day 2...

6 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

It's paved. You might want to pack light though. We'll get to ride the Moki Dugway on day 2...

Hmmmm.  Might have to speed up my purchase of a Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Dennis Andress

My thoughts are to spend the night here. I ate lunch there once and wouldn't mind going back. It's about 140 miles from Washington City, which is about 50 miles from Mesquite. 

The red dot is Jacob Lake, AZ (gas. restaurant). The blue dot is Cape Royal. It's 90 miles round trip from Jacob Lake to Cape Royal and back. There are about 5 miles of incredibly bad tar snakes west of Jacob Lake.

image.thumb.png.ed1080a92164dc8bbb02d13f7784236f.png

• Like 2
On 1/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

You might talk one or two into it. Carl always likes to get a head start on Torrey.

I'd like to, but there are things going on here that will make it difficult.

7 hours ago, Groanup said:

I'd like to, but there are things going on here that will make it difficult.

We could do it going up, or going down. We could even do it on Friday/Saturday and just spend one night in Torrey :16: I'll leave it to the group to decide. 

12 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

My thoughts are to spend the night here. I ate lunch there once and wouldn't mind going back.

FYI, restaurant is closed through 2022 per their website.  Don't know if there's other food service in that area.

43 minutes ago, BrianT said:

FYI, restaurant is closed through 2022 per their website.  Don't know if there's other food service in that area.

Oh.  I'm glad you found that :facepalm:. Jacob Lake would be an easy second. But It's at 9,600' so a morning start would be cold. Let me think further...

Dennis Andress

Staying at Jacob Lake would allow us more time in the park and take less effort getting to the hotel at the end of the day. But, it will make Day 2 a long ride.

Staying in Page, Az would mean leaving the park a couple of hours earlier, but would take on hour or so off day 2. Remember how I stomped my feet and pouted over going to Kodachrome? Let's not go to Page...

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The map behind this link: Day 2  says 400 miles @ 8 hours to Torrey. I think we can do it in 6 hours...

Sounds fine to me.  March-ish?  What about Ramona Days:  When (about) would that happen?

9 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The map behind this link: Day 2  says 400 miles @ 8 hours to Torrey. I think we can do it in 6 hours

I have done a one-day, round trip, 400-mile Torrey to Monument Valley in one day. Doable, but a long day

10 hours ago, C_Williams said:

I have done a one-day, round trip, 400-mile Torrey to Monument Valley in one day. Doable, but a long day

Want to go to the North Rim on the way to Torrey?