IGNORED

Is there going to be a Spring Torrey 2022?

Crazy_Canuck

2 hours ago, Bike Guy said:

New Nor Cal member, am up for a Torrey meet and greet 

My first adventure with this group was Fall Torrey '21, and I had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dennis Andress

I'm curious if any of the usual suspects would be interested in stretching the ride to Torrey a bit...

usual suspect.jpg

Dennis Andress
On 1/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I'm curious if any of the usual suspects would be interested in stretching the ride to Torrey a bit...

I guess the lights are on and nobody's home...

May be an image of nature and mountain

• Like 1
On 1/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Depends on what your definition of stretching the ride is.  Without having to shoehorn in Torrey between workdays, it makes it a lot easy to extend my trip.  I'm definitely open to suggestion.

Dennis Andress
2 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Depends on what your definition of stretching the ride is.  Without having to shoehorn in Torrey between workdays, it makes it a lot easy to extend my trip.  I'm definitely open to suggestion.

An extra day...

cape royal.jpg

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
7 minutes ago, LBump said:

Isn't Cape Royal a dirt/gravel road? Looks like excitement.... :burnout:

It's paved. You might want to pack light though. We'll get to ride the Moki Dugway on day 2...

6 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

It's paved. You might want to pack light though. We'll get to ride the Moki Dugway on day 2...

Hmmmm.  Might have to speed up my purchase of a Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Dennis Andress

My thoughts are to spend the night here. I ate lunch there once and wouldn't mind going back. It's about 140 miles from Washington City, which is about 50 miles from Mesquite. 

The red dot is Jacob Lake, AZ (gas. restaurant). The blue dot is Cape Royal. It's 90 miles round trip from Jacob Lake to Cape Royal and back. There are about 5 miles of incredibly bad tar snakes west of Jacob Lake.

image.thumb.png.ed1080a92164dc8bbb02d13f7784236f.png

• Like 2
On 1/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

You might talk one or two into it. Carl always likes to get a head start on Torrey.

I'd like to, but there are things going on here that will make it difficult.

Dennis Andress
7 hours ago, Groanup said:

I'd like to, but there are things going on here that will make it difficult.

We could do it going up, or going down. We could even do it on Friday/Saturday and just spend one night in Torrey :16: I'll leave it to the group to decide. 

12 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

My thoughts are to spend the night here. I ate lunch there once and wouldn't mind going back.

FYI, restaurant is closed through 2022 per their website.  Don't know if there's other food service in that area.

Dennis Andress
43 minutes ago, BrianT said:

FYI, restaurant is closed through 2022 per their website.  Don't know if there's other food service in that area.

Oh.  I'm glad you found that :facepalm:. Jacob Lake would be an easy second. But It's at 9,600' so a morning start would be cold. Let me think further...

Dennis Andress

Staying at Jacob Lake would allow us more time in the park and take less effort getting to the hotel at the end of the day. But, it will make Day 2 a long ride.

Staying in Page, Az would mean leaving the park a couple of hours earlier, but would take on hour or so off day 2. Remember how I stomped my feet and pouted over going to Kodachrome? Let's not go to Page...

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The map behind this link: Day 2  says 400 miles @ 8 hours to Torrey. I think we can do it in 6 hours...

Sounds fine to me.  March-ish?  What about Ramona Days:  When (about) would that happen?

Dennis Andress
2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Sounds fine to me.  March-ish?  What about Ramona Days:  When (about) would that happen?

To be up front, that route includes the Moki Dugway.

9 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The map behind this link: Day 2  says 400 miles @ 8 hours to Torrey. I think we can do it in 6 hours

I have done a one-day, round trip, 400-mile Torrey to Monument Valley in one day. Doable, but a long day

Dennis Andress
10 hours ago, C_Williams said:

I have done a one-day, round trip, 400-mile Torrey to Monument Valley in one day. Doable, but a long day

Want to go to the North Rim on the way to Torrey?

On 1/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, Dennis Andress said:

To be up front, that route includes the Moki Dugway.

only three miles of gravel?  I might be able to handle that, I guess...

• Like 1
On 1/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, Dennis Andress said:

usual suspect.jpg

I could be talked into some more riding. 

• 1 month later...

We should be there, along with Walt Fulton and Nancy Foote.  

The EASY way for us, now that we've all retired to Montrose, Colorado, is up to Grand Junction, across I-70, down UT-24 to Hanksville and west to Torrey.  265 miles and 4.5 hours.  It's kind of boring so we throttle up in select areas and cut about a half hour off that.

The FUN way is down to Ridgway, across CO-62/CO-145 toward Naturita, then down CO-141 to Dove Creek.  At the 141/491-Tee we cut west and cross into Utah just before Monticello, go down to Blanding, then take  nearly 100 miles of UT-95 all the way up through those majestic Red Rock canyons, to Hanksville and then west to Torrey.  360 miles and 8.5 hours.  We enjoy every bit of those hours.

Last time we brought the V-strom 1000.  I think this time we'll bring the Versys 1000.  My Boston Green Baby (99 1100RT in that rare Boston Green color) is undergoing a thorough cleaning and going through.  After all these years it deserves a bit of extra attention.  Don't know yet, but I might talk myself into selling it this Spring/Summer (66K miles).  

10 minutes ago, EffBee said:

Don't know yet, but I might talk myself into selling it this Spring/Summer (66K miles).  

Don't do it !  If you do , shortly after you'll say wish I hadn't  LOL

Dennis Andress
9 hours ago, EffBee said:

The FUN way is down to Ridgway, across CO-62/CO-145 toward Naturita, then down CO-141 to Dove Creek.  At the 141/491-Tee we cut west and cross into Utah just before Monticello, go down to Blanding, then take  nearly 100 miles of UT-95 all the way up through those majestic Red Rock canyons, to Hanksville and then west to Torrey.  360 miles and 8.5 hours.  We enjoy every bit of those hours.

So, I want to follow you that way on your way home from Torrey. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Dennis Andress said:

So, I want to follow you that way on your way home from Torrey. 

I've ridden with you.  You don't follow ANYBODY!  But if you can keep your speed in check, you're welcome to join us.  Just remember, we're old now.  And if you want, I've got a room you can use.

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
15 hours ago, EffBee said:

I've ridden with you.  You don't follow ANYBODY!  But if you can keep your speed in check, you're welcome to join us.  Just remember, we're old now.  And if you want, I've got a room you can use.

I recall you once referred to one of my K100 RSs as a Maytag... 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I recall you once refereed to one of my K100 RSs as a Maytag... 

Always reliable?

• Smile 1
Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, Whip said:

Is Blanding to Hanksville open?

It is according to UDOT. SR-95 was closed to repair a bridge but that work finished in late October.