IGNORED

LED headlight upgrade, missing headlight dust cover?

2015 Blue RT

I'm adding LED headlights to my new to me 2015 RT. I went ahead and pulled the assembly and am glad I did, there is no way you could install these bulbs w/o doing so. I'm using Cougar Motor Flagship H7 for the low beam and Hikari Ultra H1 for the high beams. I bought these based on the website bulbfacts.com, they were both rated superior for reflector-style housings (as opposed to projector style). The Cougar H7 is rated for low beam at 986 lux (+164%) vs 373 for the OEM halogen. It draws 33 watts vs 42, and it runs at 108 degrees vs 160. It's relatively noisy at 60 db.

The Hikari Ultra is rated at 1,721 lux (+96%) vs 876 for the halogen. It pulls only 23 watts vs 42, and runs at 100 degrees. It is very noisy at 71 db.

With the engine off, when I tested them I could hear the fans running. This won't be an issue when the bike is running. Light quantity seemed very impressive in the shop, I will try and do a pre-dawn check for the pattern in the morning. I've been spoiled by the E-code 7" headlight on my GSX. It puts out a perfect z-beam so oncoming traffic is not blinded. I'm hoping these will not shotgun the light all over the place on low beam. The bulbs are adjustable, I'm starting with all of them in vertical alignment.

When I pulled off the housing, I noticed there was no dust cover (my term for the large round piece you twist off for access that is behind the bulb) on the lower center opening. Should one be there? There is no bulb there, but it looks like there was a cover there at one point. The flange area looked to be damaged. I'm done working for today having installed the new top case and the Nexus 7 tablet in the navigation spot, so I don't have any pics yet. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Thanks. I visited the site & they don't appear to break down parts by year?

I found two images for the headlight, this one is w/o the "deluxe" (apparently it has LED modules) headlight:

B0006489.png?v=09082020

This one is for the deluxe headlight:

B0006490.png?v=09082020

What I have looks more like the second one. On the parts listing for it, there are a total of 2 covers listed:

#4 (quan 2), which is for the high beams (snap in cover)

#5 (quan 1), which is for the low beam bulb (twist in cover)

The parts listing for the other one still shows 2x high beam covers, 1x low beam cover, and 2x parking light covers.

Here's a pic of the area in question for what I have:

IMG_20211113_055731937.thumb.jpg.a2a6dccebc8b4937be5e2ed62cea74ec.jpg