IGNORED

Stiff throttle.

Play4zero

They only thing I find difficult with my new to me 1999 K1200LT is that the throttle is really stiff.  My '91 Flying Brick works just fine, but a few months of riding this bike and my right arm will look like Popeye.  Is there an adjustment for this/?  It doesn't seem to be a cable problem because it snaps back just fine.

1 hour ago, Play4zero said:

They only thing I find difficult with my new to me 1999 K1200LT is that the throttle is really stiff.  My '91 Flying Brick works just fine, but a few months of riding this bike and my right arm will look like Popeye.  Is there an adjustment for this/?  It doesn't seem to be a cable problem because it snaps back just fine.

Afternoon Play4zero

The throttle can snap back (no load) & still have friction in the cables. 

It is difficult to advise you without feeling what you are dealing with. 

A good first move would be to find another  1999 K1200LT then compare to yours. 

That 1999 K1200LT has a lot of throttle bodies so there is a lot of parts to move & a lot to return.

Otherwise, if you think yours is abnormal then clean & lube the twist grip on the bar, then replace the cables, then see what you have.

You might also try a wrist-rest on your twist grip as that allows the heel of your hand to assist the throttle movement & assist in holding throttle position. 

51 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Play4zero

The throttle can snap back (no load) & still have friction in the cables. 

It is difficult to advise you without feeling what you are dealing with. 

A good first move would be to find another  1999 K1200LT then compare to yours. 

That 1999 K1200LT has a lot of throttle bodies so there is a lot of parts to move & a lot to return.

Otherwise, if you think yours is abnormal then clean & lube the twist grip on the bar, then replace the cables, then see what you have.

You might also try a wrist-rest on your twist grip as that allows the heel of your hand to assist the throttle movement & assist in holding throttle position. 

Thank you. I have a couple of the wrist rests I've used on bikes without cruise so I'll try that and then see if some lube helps.  It seems smooth enough, just stiff.

My 2000 K1200RS has a very similar if not the same throttle setup as yours, I think.  I bought a used TB set a couple of years back just so I could see what the heck is going on in there.  It's very hard to see on the bike.  These pics aren't much better.

There are two strong return springs on the throttle linkage, one towards each end of the assembly.  There is also a TPS on the end, but I doubt that's the problem.  Also, all of the hose clamp crimps (buckles) on the rubber TB connection tubes must be set so they do not interfere with the bell crank at any point in it's motion, stop to stop.  

You might spray some dry lube on all the TB shafts and return springs and lube the cables and twist grip as Dirtrider recommends.  I use a big "Cramp Buster" "wrist-rest" on the throttle handle that helps a lot, also recommended by Dirtrider.

Notice the cracked crankcase breather tube "Y".  Very common on these engines.  Makes a big puddle of oil on top of the engine that smokes, stinks, and drips, and you can't easiy find where it's coming from.

If you need more pics let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7i54kV8Jhub4ASgS6

image.png.8648d562c7ab91f1e9c0e977be5b9033.png

5 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

My 2000 K1200RS has a very similar if not the same throttle setup as yours, I think.  I bought a used TB set a couple of years back just so I could see what the heck is going on in there.  It's very hard to see on the bike.  These pics aren't much better.

There are two strong return springs on the throttle linkage, one towards each end of the assembly.  There is also a TPS on the end, but I doubt that's the problem.  Also, all of the hose clamp crimps (buckles) on the rubber TB connection tubes must be set so they do not interfere with the bell crank at any point in it's motion, stop to stop.  

You might spray some dry lube on all the TB shafts and return springs and lube the cables and twist grip as Dirtrider recommends.  I use a big "Cramp Buster" "wrist-rest" on the throttle handle that helps a lot, also recommended by Dirtrider.

Notice the cracked crankcase breather tube "Y".  Very common on these engines.  Makes a big puddle of oil on top of the engine that smokes, stinks, and drips, and you can't easiy find where it's coming from.

If you eed more pics let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7i54kV8Jhub4ASgS6

image.png.8648d562c7ab91f1e9c0e977be5b9033.png

Thank you, greatly appreciate the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

The original throttle cables can require a lot of effort, the cables were changed and you can retrofit the newer cables. Search on BMWLT in the LT part of the forum

8 hours ago, gary45 said:

The original throttle cables can require a lot of effort, the cables were changed and you can retrofit the newer cables. Search on BMWLT in the LT part of the forum

Thank you. I'll try that.