IGNORED

What's the riding and scenery like in WV?

Indy Dave

Glad you asked! As those of you who've had the good fortune of riding in WV already know, the roads and views are second to none. And how-A-bout these Fall colors? If you're pressed for time, check the video at 3:51 and 4:10; and be sure to enjoy the video(s) (others to follow):4296: in HD - you may have to adjust your YouTube resolution setting by clicking on the gear in the lower right of the YouTube Window. The images should not be fuzzy or blurry at all. YouTube seems to default to low resolution playback - here's how to change it.

Click on the gear:

1554846361_Screenshot(62).png.cd8c6812564e0670e5a58c1d31fb6113.png

change the setting - I use 2160:

1636663855_Screenshot(61).png.01c0dff3e194da75f755f43ac4fd9b1b.png

And... enjoy! This road and many more await you and yours at this years UN!

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 5
  • Indy Dave pinned this topic
44 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Do you mean 45?

The one from the north, yes looks like 11/45. Just watch out for locals in mini vans, they're tough to keep up with, we got behind one that was lifting the inside rear wheel, consistently  : ) There are no bad roads in WV..

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

The one from the north, yes looks like 11/45. Just watch out for locals in mini vans, they're tough to keep up with, we got behind one that was lifting the inside rear wheel, consistently  : ) There are no bad roads in WV..

That does look like a great road = I didn't have time to ride it when I was on UN business. Hope that doesn't give it away.

878601631_Screenshot(171).thumb.png.9c9ac9c0d676595587c322810f90fcb5.png

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Must be like the road from Camp Dawson to I-68 (not as twisty though), back in the cliff assault instructor days.  We'd end up with rental minivans to drive from Camp LeJeune to Camp Dawson, but on our free time, we'd head to Morgantown.  The object was to get from Dawson to I-68 in the shortest amount of time possible, so tires be screeching, 'twas fun.

Rental company used to give us Cherokee's, but, taking them in creeks and dinging up the undercarriage kinda stopped that.

It’s dark in the TOD! :eek:
 I wasn’t with the group of about seven riders that hit it at 50 MPH, only to have all the bright sucked from their headlights instantly. The story was good! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I live in PA. I have ridden through WV numerous times. There is hardly a bad road in the state. Another plus is the state is not very densely populated. Which means not a lot of traffic. 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, TEWKS said:

It’s dark in the TOD! :eek:
 I wasn’t with the group of about seven riders that hit it at 50 MPH, only to have all the bright sucked from their headlights instantly. The story was good! :classic_biggrin:

That looks fun.  When our ship broke down in Gibraltar for three weeks, to pass the time, we ended up training with the Brits,.....in Gibraltar.  There's more miles of tunnels than there are roads.  Anyway, it's very interesting in the tunnels when the lights are turned off.  Night Vision Goggles DO NOT WORK since it needs ambient light to magnify, no ambient light in pure darkness.  The only way to get the NVGs to work was to turn on the IR,......which kinda defeats the purpose if the opposing has NVGs 'cause they can immediately see where you are located.

• Like 1

W.V. was my riding playground for many years. Both dirt and road. Can't wait for the UN. Too bad we are gonna miss the Ramp festival by a month. If anyone there gets a chance to eat some fresh trout and ramps, you'll never forget it !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rode this area last September.  The roads were great, and the scenery was fantastic! 

I'm going to make an effort to attend this unRally (my first).

Dean

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

The bar in the first pic. looks familiar. I attended one of RCR held at Snowshoe. Not sure if that's where they all were held. Remember meeting Ken and Keith and a few other gents. Can't recall everyone's name. It's a brain cell thing. Anyway, a great time was had. Can't wait to get back to those West Virginie roads.!!!!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

The bar in the first pic. looks familiar. I attended one of RCR held at Snowshoe. Not sure if that's where they all were held. Remember meeting Ken and Keith and a few other gents. Can't recall everyone's name. It's a brain cell thing. Anyway, a great time was had. Can't wait to get back to those West Virginie roads.!!!!

Well, we did the first two at Canaan ... before they did the $35M renovation.  The Keith you met was almost certainly OoPEZoO, one of the original hosts. We had about 4 Kens at those RCR events, so not sure which one you're talking about. Though it's most like BMW_Ken. I believe Kinsley only came once. But there were other Kens who all my old brain can't recall at the moment.  

My son and I rode out to Canaan as they were finishing up the renovation. The accommodations got quite nice:

20140725_192715.thumb.jpg.1879176104f87749de94e8a58f20019d.jpg

20140725_192732.thumb.jpg.dae93db7e501c8a7641c39780a395133.jpg

20140725_182149.thumb.jpg.6f23668a47f32167987cc237b4632f28.jpg

20140725_182222.thumb.jpg.360475189c5373761c16392ea87c25dc.jpg

• Like 2

Yep  It was Ken Kinsley and OoPEZoO. I think back then Keith called himself rubber chicken, or at least had a pic. of one. Haven't seen him on here for quite a while.

• Like 1
Yeeha Stephen
4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Fantastic photos!

Funny thing.... I was there for a week and it thunder-stormed almost every night but the days in between were beautiful!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Really great photo's Stephen. 

BTW I see you "rejoined" the board in 2019. Did you leave for a while or just start a new profile? I recall first meeting you at the 2007 UN in Fayettesville WV.  Isn't that correct?  Terri and I were on my '04 RT back then. 

Are you coming to this event? (Sorry if I missed you already saying so. I haven't gotten through all the posts so far.) 

• Like 1
On 2/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, taylor1 said:

Yep  It was Ken Kinsley and OoPEZoO. I think back then Keith called himself rubber chicken, or at least had a pic. of one. Haven't seen him on here for quite a while.

Yes, OoPEZoO was Keith. His avatar was him wearing a crazy hat, swinging a rubber chicken over his head. Great guy who is off raising a beautiful family, giving his time to them (and removing the fear of losing dad to a moto accident). I'd made a similar choice in about 1988 or so, so I get it. I'm sure some day he'll be back.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeeha Stephen
On 2/21/2022 at 5:18 PM, TyTass said:

Really great photo's Stephen. 

BTW I see you "rejoined" the board in 2019. Did you leave for a while or just start a new profile? I recall first meeting you at the 2007 UN in Fayettesville WV.  Isn't that correct?  Terri and I were on my '04 RT back then. 

Are you coming to this event? (Sorry if I missed you already saying so. I haven't gotten through all the posts so far.) 

Don't know why, but I got dumped in 2019 and had to rejoin. All my past from 2002 forward got dumped also.

I did the 2 Gunnison Un's and the Cody WY rally along with the Eureka Springs Ark trip along with the Fayettesville WV rally. Some Tory events sprinkled in.

Anyway I've signed up for WV and hope all the planets align and I can pull this trip off. 

Gonna be tough. I'll be away from home about a month. Going to the MOA rally in Springfield Mo, and then to the MSTA rally in Cape Girardeau the next weekend and riding a lot of Ark and MO in between/after.

• Like 2
On 3/7/2022 at 8:07 AM, Yeeha Stephen said:

.Don't know why, but I got dumped in 2019 and had to rejoin. All my past from 2002 forward got dumped also.

The same thing happened to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 2:53 PM, TyTass said:

RCR II:

DSCN1004.thumb.JPG.1ace18bf672288e915dd31861642fa33.JPG

DSCN1000.thumb.JPG.ea94db31a64c07ee989794765019591c.JPG

DSCN1074.thumb.JPG.0ac6e5babc9f882cde79320c8cca0a84.JPG

DSCN1087.thumb.JPG.2b6ff8ce8af0c76a288cd2d4cec03616.JPG

DSCN1145.thumb.JPG.d3f3adcc0a72a613caf6a8979dffd0d3.JPG

Due to my “friends” I am not allowed back in the Allegheny Home 😀😀

• Like 1

Anyone have any ADV trails for the area?  Any ADV riders want to find some trails to ride during the event?

We will be posting some routes that will include some non pavement fun.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 5/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, TSConver said:

Anyone have any ADV trails for the area?  Any ADV riders want to find some trails to ride during the event?

Hi TS. 

I'm not able to attend the Un this year, but I know that area very well for off-road ADV roads.   PM me and I can share tons of ADV info/routes if you'd like.

Peter