IGNORED

How to get the handle bar apart.

r100rs88@gmail.com

r100rs88@gmail.com

Hello all, I am one week new to an 08 RT. I am trying to rotate the the controls up to better fit my 6'4" frame. I removed the bolt that holds the end to the silver part of the handle. It won't budge. Before I get a long M8 bolt and take a hammer to it is there something I'm missing?

Sorry in advance for all the stupid questions I'm sure to ask.

Thanks

MItchell

5 minutes ago, r100rs88@gmail.com said:

Hello all, I am one week new to an 08 RT. I am trying to rotate the the controls up to better fit my 6'4" frame. I removed the bolt that holds the end to the silver part of the handle. It won't budge. Before I get a long M8 bolt and take a hammer to it is there something I'm missing?

Sorry in advance for all the stupid questions I'm sure to ask.

Thanks

MItchell

Afternoon Mitchell

"I removed the bolt that holds the end to the silver part of the handle"

We need a bit more info about what you removed from what? What bolt & what handle?  (post a picture, or use the parts diagram to give us the correct names & locations or the parts you are dealing with)

17 minutes ago, r100rs88@gmail.com said:

I am trying to remove 1 from 2 on the same side the bolt I removed is bolt 8.

Afternoon Mitchell

OK, that helps, those can be tighter than the hobs of hell on some bars. 

You usually  REALLY  have to work at it to get that to move (or better put, push the bar out then re-pull it back in in the new alignment clocking.

I have had some come out with just a little work & others that just won't budge. 

Try putting a longer bolt in (get as much thread engagement as deep as possible)  then driving on that bolt with a block of hardwood & hammer (or use heavy duty rawhide mallet). Once you get it out a ways (IF you can get it out a ways) then you can turn it & pull it back in with a greased bolt.    

r100rs88@gmail.com

Ya I have a much longer m8 bolt so I can run it full thread and have an inch or do to work with.

Thanks

MItchell

aggieengineer

Funny, I was looking at doing the same thing a couple of days ago. I'd love to rotate the clutch and brake levers to a slightly lower position. The service manual didn't seem to address this. Let us know how it works out!

aggieengineer

I gave it a try, without success.

I soaked the joint between the aluminum casting and the internal bar with oil for a couple of days.

P1040804.JPG.36bfb513e34a8b33c163bbb23b2e5328.JPG

I took longer 8mm bolt and threaded it in just until I felt resistance, then gave it a whack. Several in fact. Not the slightest movement.

P1040803.JPG.807966a5811e73cab47985046a04dab3.JPG

The bolt holding these two together is entirely superfluous.

r100rs88@gmail.com

To rotate the controls you need to remove 3 screws and take the front buttons off. Once the front is off you will see a bracket loosen the screws so you can rotate the controls up or down. Be sure the cables are not bound up on the back. once you get it where you want it tighten everything back up. Put the front back on and replace the 3 screws. same for the left and right.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, aggieengineer said:

Funny, I was looking at doing the same thing a couple of days ago. I'd love to rotate the clutch and brake levers to a slightly lower position. The service manual didn't seem to address this. Let us know how it works out!