IGNORED

What to look out for

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Hello guys, me again with the BS.

I found a non running 2003 K1200RS looking kinda beat, seller says bike works, needs starter and battery. Says was his dads then he was going to turn it to a cafe just never did. 

I hear the starters are interesting to work on. 
So I’m curious from folks who know more about these bikes, what should I look at when going to see the bike?

im familiar with boxers but know nothing about K bikes.

only reason I’m interested in this is, it’s gonna cost less than 1000. 
even if it doesn’t work there should be that there in just parts.

I’ll have to take a look and make up my mind but I was curious what to look for on a non running bike? 
how do I turn the bike over to make sure it’s free? 

thanks

1 hour ago, Hadabadachada said:

Hello guys, me again with the BS.

I found a non running 2003 K1200RS looking kinda beat, seller says bike works, needs starter and battery. Says was his dads then he was going to turn it to a cafe just never did. 

I hear the starters are interesting to work on. 
So I’m curious from folks who know more about these bikes, what should I look at when going to see the bike?

im familiar with boxers but know nothing about K bikes.

only reason I’m interested in this is, it’s gonna cost less than 1000. 
even if it doesn’t work there should be that there in just parts.

I’ll have to take a look and make up my mind but I was curious what to look for on a non running bike? 
how do I turn the bike over to make sure it’s free? 

thanks

Afternoon Hadabadachada

So I’m curious from folks who know more about these bikes, what should I look at when going to see the bike?--  Another motorcycle!

Those old K bikes can (usually do) turn into a very expensive money pit that sucks you in deeper & deeper until you are in way past what a comparable  running motorcycle would have cost you. 

• Like 1
Hadabadachada

That’s what I worry about, my 1100s is an 04, so I’m familiar with things, hoses connectors, brake lines, blah blah blah 

More info, says it’s his dads bike, last time he “rode”it was like 2 years ago, has moved it from place to place, but hasn’t run in about a year. Says starter and battery need replaced. 

wonder how his dad knows that, I need to talk to him. I suppose if it put a battery in and air in the tires I should be able to bump it right? lol 

6 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

That’s what I worry about, my 1100s is an 04, so I’m familiar with things, hoses connectors, brake lines, blah blah blah 

More info, says it’s his dads bike, last time he “rode”it was like 2 years ago, has moved it from place to place, but hasn’t run in about a year. Says starter and battery need replaced. 

wonder how his dad knows that, I need to talk to him. I suppose if it put a battery in and air in the tires I should be able to bump it right? lol 

Afternoon Hadabadachada

Yes, why do they think it needs a starter? Did they crank it over & over & over trying to get it started without any success????

Sitting for that long it might need fuel injectors & in-tank fuel pump &  parts.  

If you are still interested then open the fuel cap & sniff, if it smells like sour fuel then you are in for WAY more than a battery or starter.

13 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

my 1100s is an 04, so I’m familiar with things, hoses connectors, brake lines, blah blah blah 

As a previous older K bike owner ... lets just say your experience with your 1100s unfortunately does not prepare you for the totally different K bike experience ... particularly what requires attention and what fails over time. 

Dirtrider has it nailed , this is not a bike for blind rebuilding.  If you want a K, find one that is ....

• running   ...with 
  • with an owner that you can talk to and....
  • might have some available service records

"So I’m curious from folks who know more about these bikes, what should I look at when going to see the bike?--"

"Another motorcycle!"

That made me laugh!

Hadabadachada

I kinda want it for a project, but after getting my r1100 and doing fuel lines, brakes lines, abs bleeds, starter, throttle bodies, all this shtuff on a old, but running bike.  just needs normal maintenance and replacements, I can only imagine what this one will cost. 
still tempting me at 700 bucks tho!!!!!

i just don’t think I’ve ever really wanted a k bike that bad, because I’d have to keep it, could never make my money back on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hadabadachada,

Well, I've got a little different perspective and opinion on the K.  I have, in order of aquisition since 2016, '99R1100S, '99R1100RT, 2000 K1200RS, '06 Honda ST1300, '06 Suzuki SV650.  

I like the K best of all, the R11S is second.  Your riding style and preferences are maybe different from mine, but I just really like riding that K, and I really like the looks of it.  "Land missle" is what someone here called it, "Flying Brick", "Electric Jet", "Checker Cab", etc.  Very good handling, very comfortable, decent range, heavy, OK weather protection, and fast.

After checking the fuel as per Dirtrider and the fuel is NOT sour, you might be able to put jumper cables on it to start it. If the starter is also dead, you could try a small jumper battery with a "bump start".  The ECU needs a good 12v to operate the sparks and injectors.  

Removing the alt or starter is a pain, but doable, the other stuff is easy. 

That year had the "296" chip in the ECU, which is the best. 

Yes, there are things that will need attention.  Brake lines, pads, fluids, fuel system, etc.  Shocks would be good.  You didn't mention miles on it, but $700 might be a good deal IF you like the bike and it runs ok.

Lowndes

image.png.be6091dcea57f4e737c53fb3a2a1a8fc.png

• Thanks 1

I'll toss this out there, too.  I lost the starter on my old 2003 R1100RT-P, found out that BMW wanted beaucoup $$$$ for a new one, went to a local electrical service company to see what it'd cost to have it manually rebuilt/rewound, the guy pulled out his catalogue, pointed to a non-BMW branded Bosch starter, and said "why not just buy this one"?  I can't recall the price, but it was a fraction of what BMW wanted, maybe $35 or $65, etc..  So, if you pursue this, look for a non-BMW branded Bosch starter.  It should save you a bundle.  Same applies to generic parts like ball bearings.  There are lots of parts on a BMW that don't have to say "BMW" on them, and work just as well as OEM (or in the case of the starter, ARE OEM, i.e. BMW's supplier). 

As far as the actual project, depending on the mileage and how well it was laid up, I'd plan on replacing everything with rubber, i.e. spark  plug coils, wires, probably rebuild the brake reservoirs with new seals, tires, any lines (fuel, brake, hydraulic clutch), plus a new air filter, spark plugs, fuel injectors, fluids, maybe brake pads, rotors, everything with ball bearings, etc..  I would expect the engine and transmission to be in as good as shape as the last rider left it.   Bottom line:  If I'm going to take a change on restoring an older bike like this that I intend to PERSONALLY RIDE, I'm not going to treat it like a lawnmower (i.e. drain gas, new oil, spark plug, air filter, and pull the starter cord).   Whether it's a time sink and money pit, or a fun project & investment, depends on how you value your time, and what you like to do for fun.  First thing, though, make certain it doesn't have major engine or transmission problems before you start pouring cash into it (i.e. that COULD be the reason whoever rode it last, decided to stop; the bike's condition decided the issue for him).

The upside of this is, even if you ran out and found an equivalent (year/model), operating bike, and paid $2500 to $5000, you'd still have to spend money on it, unless someone else had kept it in tip top shape.  In my experience, 95% of riders (of any bike, even BMW riders) just ride the things, do minimum maintenance, and dump it when it's troublesome (or they're bored).  Few are willing to put the kind of effort required to keep an old bike running like new.  If you're one of those few, I think you could have some fun.  It might mean tracking down used parts to save a few dollars, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Hadabadachada

That’s a sweet seat! 

guy said his dad last rode it like a year ago and it was garaged until the ad went up, a couple months ago. Bike looked super rough, I assumed BS, looked like it was outside the whole time. Plastics laid around everywhere, no hardware for them, just turned me off, even for 700 bucks. 

I left it to be someone else’s project. 

super tempted to say screw it for that cheap, get it, get it running and flip it to make a few bucks, but my heart wasn’t in it, and I wasn’t going to fight myself. 

maybe another one someday…

6 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

That’s a sweet seat! 

guy said his dad last rode it like a year ago and it was garaged until the ad went up, a couple months ago. Bike looked super rough, I assumed BS, looked like it was outside the whole time. Plastics laid around everywhere, no hardware for them, just turned me off, even for 700 bucks. 

I left it to be someone else’s project. 

super tempted to say screw it for that cheap, get it, get it running and flip it to make a few bucks, but my heart wasn’t in it, and I wasn’t going to fight myself. 

maybe another one someday…

Morning  Hadabadachada

You probably made the right decision. That thing sounds like it had "DEEP MONEY PIT" written all over it. 

It’s not only the money but the frustration of fixing one thing and finding two more things. Always working on it. I’ve taken on a project or two in the past. I won’t do it again as I would rather spend my time using it than chasing parts in unknown condition/cost and never really trusting the machine. 

• Plus 1 1
Hadabadachada

Yeah, I have an R1100S as my daily rider and I put about 1500ish miles on a month, and try to do a couple road trips a year, so it’s getting up there, quick. and we know these aren’t the simplest, cheapest bikes. So I need to save my money for that anyway.

I can’t do everything myself. I may try though. 

• 4 months later...
Abandoned Track
On 11/17/2021 at 8:15 PM, Lowndes said:

I like the K best of all, the R11S is second. 

Lowndes

How many miles on your 2000 K1100RS?

13 hours ago, Abandoned Track said:

How many miles on your 2000 K1100RS?

64K at the moment.  I got it with 30K.