IGNORED

Ilium Works Bar Backs

narcosis

Has anyone rotated the Bar Backs farther back than recommended?  If so, any issues?  In their installation video they recommend aligning the Bar Back so it follows the angle of the lower portion of the casting.  That's the way I initially installed it.  Based on way too many hours in the saddle on my recent road trip, it sure would have been nice if the grips were closer to me.

1 hour ago, narcosis said:

Has anyone rotated the Bar Backs farther back than recommended?  If so, any issues? 

You can tilt them back a small amount.  There are a couple of issues.  First, if you tilt too far, your brake and clutch reservoirs will also be tilted, and that is sub-optimal.  There is a small ridge on the bottom of the reservoirs, and you can grind that off to give some additional clearance that will permit you to tilt the bars back slightly more without the reservoirs becoming too non-level.

Another issue is the feel of the handling when you move the controls off-axis from the pivot point of the front wheel.  Think of a kids wagon, with the long handle that attaches at the front, and also turns the front wheels.  When you move your handlebars back, the steering on your moto starts to feel like that wagon.

Cap

Thanks Cap.  Yeah, the steering aspect concerned me plus there's not much cable slack left.  I'll probably leave it as is and just limit my time per day in the saddle.

I’ve ground some of the ridges back and also ground some of the plate back.  This moved the grips back about 1/2-3/4”, which actually made a small but noticeable difference in comfort for me. I’m 6’0”, 36-37” sleeves, taller Day Long seat, Wunderlich peg lowering kit, Werks windshield. I felt no difference in steering feel, even at slow parking lot maneuvers. At speed, the grips move very little side to side.  I’ve done 4-450 mile days. Needless to say, I’m happy with the modifications.  I may even consider having some “L” shaped replacement side plates made to allow more pull back.  

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Well the other choice is to trade the bike against something more comfortable. Maybe a R18TC would be a better fit?

First day going up was 17.5 hours followed by 13 hours the following day.  Coming back the first day was 14 hours followed by a 10 hour day.  I've really not had any pain issues with days in the 400-500 mile range.  The RT is too much fun so I'm not inclined to switch.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Paul4450 said:

I’ve ground some of the ridges back and also ground some of the plate back.  This moved the grips back about 1/2-3/4”, which actually made a small but noticeable difference...

Me too.  I fussed with it, and removed the Ilium Works bar-backs, and then put them back on.  In the end, I found that a slight pull-back made a difference that improved my riding comfort significantly.  And after awhile, I stopped thinking about riding a wagon.  :classic_rolleyes:

Cap

On 11/2/2021 at 2:22 PM, Paul4450 said:

I’ve ground some of the ridges back and also ground some of the plate back.

I decided to see if I could get a little more pullback and disassembled the throttle/front brake side.  I looked for the "ridges" and could not figure what you were referring to.  So, I rotated the bar backs toward me a goodly amount and began reassembly.  Then the "ridges" became apparent...on the bottom of the brake reservoir. Similar ridges on the clutch fluid reservoir.  Did you just grind down the ridge that makes first contact or both?  Eyeballing it looks like the one ridge would do it but I'd like to hear from your experience.

1 hour ago, narcosis said:

... Did you just grind down the ridge that makes first contact or both?  ...

I did what you seem to have done -- I assembled it loose, and played with the positioning until I could see what was interfering.  And then I ground off just the smallest amount of the bottom of the reservoirs that I thought would make zero difference in their integrity.  And then I used a black sharpie (AKA anodizing pen) to hide the area where I had removed material.  Sounds like you are on the right track.

Cap