IGNORED

Transporting my 2015 RT from Oregon to Florida

2015 Blue RT

I figured this category is the closest fit for a transport review, so here goes.

In my quest for a bike, I eventually found a 2015 RT in Oregon, about 2,700 miles away. I ended up buying it and the next step was to get it here. My job circumstances do not allow time for a fly and ride, so I looked at transport.

In the past I have bought bikes and cars from several states and always bid the transport on uship. Times have changed, and after 3 days I only had one quote for $1,400. I did a web search and sent in about a dozen quote requests. Quotes were a very wide range, from $600 to over $2400, and this only took 2 days.

I looked at reviews for those in my budget range, and contracted with M&M Freight Logistics here in Florida for $899 total. They had decent Google reviews and were very responsive when I called. They also locked in the price, no added fees. Upon the contract being accepted by a driver I had to pay a $150 deposit with the balance due in cash or MO upon delivery.

The lowest quote I got was from Haulbikes. Their reply estimated 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. I have read reviews and it appears while most were good, a number of people have had a problem with them. On one occasion a review said the bike had been stored in a warehouse for a while. I called on a Monday morning and was on hold for about 10 minutes until my call was answered. Every time I called M&M the phone was answered promptly. Haulbikes also required full payment up front.

As it stands now on 11/1, M&M expects to pick up the bike this week and have it here in about a week.

I'll update here as progress is or isn't made.

Some good progress today. I sent TEWKS' linked PDF on transporting a BMW bike to the transport company, and they acknowledged receipt and said they'll forward it to the driver. I got the call today the pick up has been booked, it is supposed to be picked up Monday 11/8 and delivered either Friday 11/12 or Saturday 11/13. I also got the driver's name, phone number, and email address. The downside was there was an extra $100 due to the pickup location being less accessible (?). I was figuring on an added cost of some sort, but was assured there would be nothing beyond that. Time will tell when I meet for delivery. I also sent a map photo w/ GPS coordinates of where the bike needs to be delivered- an easy off/on the main road through my town and very truck friendly. The actual transport company is Crossway Hauling Inc. with a Colorado area code number (720). I did a web search and either they are really new or it is a company out of Illinois. I have a call in to the driver so I can get more info on the transport (main concern is if the dates are realistic).

• Like 1

Meh.   They have been operating since 2017.   Based out of Lansing, IL with an address for their accountant, no doubt.   

The company has 2 trucks, 2 drivers and has active insurance.   They have their own authority.

They were inspected at least twice in the last 24 months with at least 2 out-of-service violations for Hours of Service (Basic) and/or Driver Qualifications (can be medical card, CDL issues) possibly equipment violations. 

Nothing critical as far as Safety or Mechanical, in as far as the FMCSA knows about.

Let me know if you find out exactly what type of equipment they are operating, for example -dually p/u with an enclosed cargo trailer, open trailer or Class 8 Tractor with trailer (48' or 53').  Just curious.

2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Meh.   They have been operating since 2017.   Based out of Lansing, IL

William, any info on this company’s freight routes? Their tankers seem to run very direct!! :eek: :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/1/2021 at 7:54 AM, 2015 Black RT said:

I figured this category is the closest fit for a transport review, so here goes.

In my quest for a bike, I eventually found a 2015 RT in Oregon, about 2,700 miles away. I ended up buying it and the next step was to get it here. My job circumstances do not allow time for a fly and ride, so I looked at transport.

In the past I have bought bikes and cars from several states and always bid the transport on uship. Times have changed, and after 3 days I only had one quote for $1,400. I did a web search and sent in about a dozen quote requests. Quotes were a very wide range, from $600 to over $2400, and this only took 2 days.

I looked at reviews for those in my budget range, and contracted with M&M Freight Logistics here in Florida for $899 total. They had decent Google reviews and were very responsive when I called. They also locked in the price, no added fees. Upon the contract being accepted by a driver I had to pay a $150 deposit with the balance due in cash or MO upon delivery.

The lowest quote I got was from Haulbikes. Their reply estimated 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. I have read reviews and it appears while most were good, a number of people have had a problem with them. On one occasion a review said the bike had been stored in a warehouse for a while. I called on a Monday morning and was on hold for about 10 minutes until my call was answered. Every time I called M&M the phone was answered promptly. Haulbikes also required full payment up front.

As it stands now on 11/1, M&M expects to pick up the bike this week and have it here in about a week.

I'll update here as progress is or isn't made.

Not sure if you've already contracted for transport.

Be REAL careful about hiring a broker, or giving ANYONE credit card payment information, without a firm contract for carriage in hand.  

These brokers (at least some of them) will try to rope you in, and charge you a cancellation fee whether not they actually find transport, on the dates you want, or at the cost the informally commit to.   Moverjet, Getcarrier, - TransportSaver - the TS was the unscrupulous company that tried to charge me a cancellation fee, after I specifically told them that I wasn't committing myself.  (I had to immediately freeze, then cancel my credit card, and then go through all the hassles of getting a new card, and tracking down all automatic charges connected to it ... huge pain in the tail, huge mistake, and I can usually see those kinds of scams in advance.)  I also tried UShip, and all I got were rate quotes 200% over what I finally paid, and no one shipping to my schedule (i.e. I gave them a week to pick it up, and 3 weeks to deliver), but at least, they didn't try to jerk me around for fees when I cancelled.

After reading reviews on BMWMOA, I chose Federal (https://federalcos.com/specialized-moving/motorcycle-shipping/), who contracts exclusively with CRST.  They committed to a price, kept their commitment, no advance fees or charges until they booked the shipment with committed dates and times, and delivered to a local dock  (There was a scratch on the fender, but since I didn't spot it at pickup, not sure if it was done by CRST or was that way when I bought the bike.  I'll fix it eventually.

Quotes were anywhere from $525 to $1700.  The low end were the "bait and switch" brokers, all of which will come up in advertisements when you search on motorcycle shipping on a web browser.  Federal charged me $780, not door to door, but dealer's door to a local shipping dock, which was a minor nuisance.   (Because of Idaho law and their messed up DMV, i.e. no registration until physical inspection, no temp tags until registered, and ... no DMV appointments available for a month, I had to rent a $15 trailer from UHaul and trailer it home from the loading dock.  I got the inspection done by a local Sheriff's Community Service Officer at home. Kudo's to Kootenai County Sheriff!  The CSO also gave me a secret way to overcome the messed DMV appointment system, and I was able to run down and get it registered the day I picked it up.  Stressful, but got it done.)

Good luck.

46 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

William, any info on this company’s freight routes? Their tankers seem to run very direct!! :eek: :spittake:

I reckon they charge by the Nautical Mile.  :money:

• Haha 1

I paid no advance fees until I had a carrier with dates assigned, then it was $99 with the balance due in cash upon delivery. I got a new contract due to the price increase that like the first one locks in the price. The company (M&M) has very good reviews, and as I noted they have been very responsive to my inquiries. The only remaining wildcard here is the delivery driver. If they try to get more $ I'll have to take legal action.

Lol, it is a bit of an adventure, buying a bike remote, and shipping it, and not the really fun kind, either.  :5590:

However, it looks like Santa will eventually arrive at your house with the big present, sometime before Christmas!  (Mine took a month from purchase until I finally received it, between the dealer's preps, pickup, traveling by covered wagon on a circuitous route, and delivery.) 

Remember, it's the anticipation that's the fun thing!  When ya finally get it, then the serious work begins, registration, farkling, figuring out all the controls, learning to shift the dang thing properly (once again!). 🤣:4907:

The time frame was a factor in deciding to pay the extra $100. I've read reviews where bikes have sat for a long time, either to be picked up or during delivery. Haulbikes gave me a 2 week window just to pick up, and like 28 days to deliver. Stem to stern, if it gets here on the 13th, that's only about 2 weeks total from the first date it could have been picked up (had to wait for the check to arrive).

I had some time earlier today and I used a spreadsheet to map out the fly & ride trip home, based on 250 mile tank ranges. It was fun, but it also showed the total cost in dollars and time. I even Google streeted some of the route and it looks like it would have been a great ride.

• Like 1

While the broker remains responsive- returning calls or weekend emails in a timely manner- I have had no response from the carrier driver. I called last Wednesday (the day the contract was assigned), left a voicemail.  I sent an email last night (Saturday). I copied it to the broker, who said he would reach out to the driver. The weather for tomorrow's pickup should be as decent as it gets for south Oregon, and the fellow tending the bike said that day would work for him. The driver has getting paid in cash as a motivation (no pickup= no cash), sure hope this does not turn out to be a problem scenario.

EDIT

I did some more reading online & found the company I'm using is not the one from Illinois. They do have a Colorado business registration out of Arvada, it shows they went into business in December 2019. I can't find a listing for them on the FMCSA website.

Edited by 2015 Black RT
Added info

Well some good news. I talked to the guy that had the bike and he said it was picked up 2 days early yesterday! Best case it should be here mid to late this week.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 2015 Black RT said:

Well some good news. I talked to the guy that had the bike and he said it was picked up 2 days early yesterday! Best case it should be here mid to late this week.

The broker should be able to provide you a tracking number on the rig or trailer hauling your bike.   Seeing it heading towards you, and not towards Canada or Mexico, might be a reassuring feeling.  (Sorry, I'm just the eternal pessimist.   I won't say I worried, "concerned" might be a better word, as I was concerned about the shipment until it reached the pickup point.

(By the way, make sure when you inspect the bike, do it in a WELL LIT area, and examine every inch of the plastics, undercarriage, wheels, windscreen, and so forth, for hidden damage.  There was a pretty good scratch on my front fender, there for all the see, big as day, and I didn't spot it until after I picked it up.  Could easily have occurred during transport, or could have been pre-existing, and the dealer just neglected to inform me (e.g. just an oversight, I'm certain, like forgetting to tell me the bike I was buying was their service department loaner for two and a half years).  🙄😖

I'm not suggesting that you try to trap the driver and his insurance, but stuff does happen, and that's why you paid for carriage insurance built into your rate.   

Good luck.  (BTW, ya know, if there are no pictures, then none of this ever happened.  Be sure to update this thread with your pix when you take delivery, so we can all cheer with you (or laugh at ... err.. WITH you), whatever the case may be.)  😁👍

• Like 1

By the way, make sure when you inspect the bike, do it in a WELL LIT area, and examine every inch of the plastics, undercarriage, wheels, windscreen, and so forth, for hidden damage.

Thanks, I plan on doing just that to document the condition upon arrival.

I heard back from the broker with more info. Apparently the Illinois carrier relocated to Colorado, the same name is associated with both companies. The absence of communication remains troubling.

It's here, 18 calendar days after purchase / 9 days after contract, and looks to be none the less for the trip. It was delivered in the back of a pickup, he said his other truck was broken down. :( I thought at first the driver failed to follow the PDF directions for securing it, as there was a strap around the left grip, but I realized that was just excess strap from another hold down. As the saying goes, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I gave him GPS coordinates for the drop off (on the main 4 lane divided highway through town at an easy to see business) and still had to talk him in via phone. He was pulling a camper as well, and nearly drove off with the safety chains still attached after undoing the hitch. :dontknow: But enough about that, the glass is well over half full.

It seemed to ride well, and everything appears operational. Here are some pics:

IMG_20211112_085444284_HDR.thumb.jpg.0f56e043ef56e4cc8524d8b0a7541daa.jpg

IMG_20211112_085456274.thumb.jpg.7ae068780ea62d26017dce63a6257cbd.jpg

IMG_20211112_093017821.thumb.jpg.d385ecdece023dcb20c42ad5b50b1611.jpg

IMG_20211112_093025272.thumb.jpg.511d05a4a6e22fdce0cb27850c8b5feb.jpg

IMG_20211112_093036884.thumb.jpg.f584b2636bf0a6ed27a749f658e14e48.jpg

• Like 3

Definitely is not the first type of vehicle that comes to mind when I think of commercial motorcycle transport.   I guess you get what you pay for.  :dontknow:

Glad you finally got the bike.  Looks good! 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

As William said not what was expected but, glad it made it there! Now we await your first ride impressions!  :revit::classic_biggrin:

After installing the top case, I did a 30 mile round trip ride for an early dinner. Night and day as compared to a 30 year old Suzuki! My wife commented on how big it looked compared to the GSX, and was surprised when I told her it was lighter. It rides more reminiscent of a much smaller bike- I have always had Japanese bikes, mostly with inline 4 cylinder engines.

I wrote a spreadsheet to compare specs:

GSX/R1200RT

Height 45.5 / 55.7 (not really that much since my bike had the OEM fairing)

Width: 31.7 / 38.8 (expected)

Length: 87.4 / 87.5 (nearly identical)

Weight dry: 570.9 / 514 (amazing)

Seat height: 31.1 / 31.7~32.5

The electronic throttle takes a little getting used to. I was a little concerned about riding and using the wonder wheel (or whatever it's called), but it is very intuitive. I managed to turn the grip heat on low while scrolling, and saw a red dot on the bike display. Went back in and turned it off. I paired my Nexus tablet (got the install finished after this ride) and it was a very enjoyable ride. I had the Alaska Leathers sheepskin in my mailbox when I got home, and then I spent the rest of the day working on adapting the Nexus tablet to the nav adapter (success) and then working on installing some LED headlight bulbs (still in process due to massive parts removal).

The most pleasant surprise came when I looked at average MPG and saw 49.x. I got around 31 on the GSX, so I told my wife this bike would eventually pay for itself even using more costly fuel.

That said, it turned 88K miles while I was riding it. It's not a new bike by any means, I see some panels are loose, as is the dash/instruments- it seemed to be moving around some. I'm sure as I ride more some other nits will come to light. Overall I'm certainly pleased. Thanks again for all of your help & guidance here.

• Like 2

Awesomeness right there. BTW we tell our spouses lots of things about the rationale for buying (another) bike.  If they simply smile in response doesn’t mean they’re buying in LOL. 

• Like 3

You may want to double  check the screws used to secure the panels or Tupperware, if you will.  They have a few different size/length/tips and if wrong ones are used,  they will not hold the piece(s) correctly.  The internet has some parts diagrams with screws used on different panels.   You would be amazed what the dealer removes and installs correctly; they need to put back in original location and sometimes not being organized can lead to mixing them up.

Google Boxflyer Boards to see what I mean.  You may have already viewed some of Brad's videos where he referred to those boards.

• Like 3

Will do, thanks. I had most of it off to install LED headlight bulbs, so I learned about the difference between short and long bolts. Some were missing & the upper outer panels had zip ties at the top. I replaced those with some panel clips and sheet metal screws. I posted some info about alternative hardware vs paying $4 per screw.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

You may want to double  check the screws used to secure the panels or Tupperware, if you will.  They have a few different size/length/tips and if wrong ones are used,  they will not hold the piece(s) correctly.  The internet has some parts diagrams with screws used on different panels.   You would be amazed what the dealer removes and installs correctly; they need to put back in original location and sometimes not being organized can lead to mixing them up.

Google Boxflyer Boards to see what I mean.  You may have already viewed some of Brad's videos where he referred to those boards.

Plus, the plastic tupperware tabs can snap off if the wrench is none too careful during removal.   I recommend looking at Boxflyer's info, strip all the tupperware off the bike (at least, anything that doesn't feel right) check all the screws, plastic tabs, and other connecting devices (i.e. snap in pegs, too), and replace or fix anything that's messed up.  An RT REAL old if the plastics aren't on right.   It should feel tight all over, no extra squeaks or wiggles, and if not, it can pretty much all be fixed. 

Edit:  Reading further into the thread, it looks as though you (OP) have already figured most of that stuff out.  I'll bookmark your post on alternative screw sources.   Fastenal  is a source I usually check for such stuff, but having the right link to the right part number helps a bunch.   When I dig into my bike a little more later this winter, I'll probably buy a half dozen of each type of screw, because, ya know, these thingys always seem to sprout legs and walk .... 😁

On 11/12/2021 at 7:17 AM, 2015 Black RT said:

It's here, 18 calendar days after purchase / 9 days after contract, and looks to be none the less for the trip. It was delivered in the back of a pickup, he said his other truck was broken down. :( I thought at first the driver failed to follow the PDF directions for securing it, as there was a strap around the left grip, but I realized that was just excess strap from another hold down. As the saying goes, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I gave him GPS coordinates for the drop off (on the main 4 lane divided highway through town at an easy to see business) and still had to talk him in via phone. He was pulling a camper as well, and nearly drove off with the safety chains still attached after undoing the hitch. :dontknow: But enough about that, the glass is well over half full.

It seemed to ride well, and everything appears operational. Here are some pics: ...

AWESOME!  Congrats! 

I'm almost envious, but then I remember I've got one of these things sitting in my garage, waiting for me to find time to play with, and work on her. 😏

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TracerBullet said:

Congrats on the successful end to your adventure

Thanks, but apparently it's just the beginning of my adventure... read about it here. :(

• 1 year later...

The above pdf link on proper tie down technique for Telelever equipped bikes CONTRADICTS the owner's manual's guidance.

Capture.JPG.772f3867284d8bacd3a6306937a35338.JPG