IGNORED

Stupid little washing trick

Skywagon

I always wash the bike by hand.  As you know water gets into the mirror housing.  I've used the air compressor before to blow it out....low pressure.  I had a brain fart today and thought I would try using a straw and blowing it out. I stuck the straw between the glass and housing and pushed it in as far as it would go.  It worked.  No need to charge up the compressor and drag around the hose....So there is your hot mechanical tip of the year.  I may start a business selling plastic straws as BMW Mirror Drying tool.....$19.95...or for free at your local Jack in the Box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I always wash the bike by hand.  As you know water gets into the mirror housing.  I've used the air compressor before to blow it out....low pressure.  I had a brain fart today and thought I would try using a straw and blowing it out. I stuck the straw between the glass and housing and pushed it in as far as it would go.  It worked.  No need to charge up the compressor and drag around the hose....So there is your hot mechanical tip of the year.  I may start a business selling plastic straws as BMW Mirror Drying tool.....$19.95...or for free at your local Jack in the Box.

I almost reported your post.  That customized BMW straw is in no way worth more than ten bucks!   Typical rip-off of everything related to a BMW.   😡🤪🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

I've already got a utility patent on it.  $19.95 is a bargain price or free with a small coke at Jack in the Box.   Investors are beating down my door.  Here is a prototype.  Early version Rev1.

Genuine Joe Unwrapped Paper Straw - 500 Straws per Box

This was what I was using before.

Image courtesy of Siemens AG

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Well the wife has some metal ones. Will that do?

Hmm ... wife ... metal straws ...ahh ... 2+2=434 ... umm... 

TMI?! 😳

🤪🍻😁

I'm a leaf blower guy too. But beware, there is no filter on a leaf blower, so it could be sandblasting a bit. There is a dedicated unit that heats and filters the air to blow water off of painted surfaces, but it isn't cheap, over $200 last I saw.

12 hours ago, Paul4450 said:

I'm not arguing, just wondering:  Why is this better than an air compressor?  Is it simply because it blows a wider stream of air, and doesn't have to refill like the compressor does?  The price tag seems steep... 

15 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

I'm not arguing, just wondering:  Why is this better than an air compressor?  Is it simply because it blows a wider stream of air, and doesn't have to refill like the compressor does?  The price tag seems steep... 

Filtered air and it is slighted heated.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

tsk-tsk that is a plastic straw, you should use paper straws that turns to mush in seconds and comes apart behind the mirror binding up adjustment.  Go hug a tree and say 10 Hail EV cars as penance!   Go forward son and sin no more!

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1
35 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

For a minute there, I had to check the header to make sure this wasn't a Harley thread.

Sadly, that is too close to the truth, I've had this discussion way too many times with my Harley friends. Wanna know the best soap to use?

Since I have a Road King in addition to four BMWs, I needed a good way to blow water out of the numerous recesses in that bike. The solution was easy for me as I own two Electrolux Model XXX vacuum cleaners (these are the very old torpedo-like units, last produced in 1954). The hose and attachments can be connected to either end so it either vacuums or blows air. I have two separate sets of hoses and nozzles, plus separate bags (these are reusable, not throwaway bags) for vacuum and blow-off duties on my "garage" vacuum (I have another unit I use in the house).

After the Electrolux runs for a couple of minutes, the electric motor heats up and the air coming out is also heated a bit. It does a wonderful job moving water out of places it shouldn't be after washing a motorcycle (or car, for that matter). I hold the nozzle in one hand and have a rag in the other to wipe off water that has been displaced. The airflow is just right for the task; it is high volume and low pressure. Since the air is filtered, no risk of damaging paint.

These old Electrolux vacuums are quite powerful and do a very nice job on bare floors (obviously, with the right attachments) and are great for vacuuming car interiors. When the motors fail, aftermarket motors and adapter plates are available in the $75 range.

16 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I just ordered one from RevZilla and got it for $94.53, shipped.  Happy Christmas to me.  :whistle:

William, I am guessing that was for the metal straw, not the plastic one. 

• Haha 1

Metal, plastic…:ohboy:C’mon man, we ride the finest motorcycles engineered exclusively in Germany, it’s carbon fiber or it’s go home! :classic_biggrin:

image.jpeg.075e94d2fa62e02985810bf39b42266c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Roug...i thought you stopped reading when I said the above.

I did, I just used white out for the rest

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

We wash our bikes?

My wife comes from an H-D background and can’t believe the RT isn’t spit shined after every ride. 

• Like 1